Probably beaten to death... But I need help

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow guys, after exploring this sub section of the Evo forums I am completely amazed at how awesome nearly all of you are. You all seem so knowledgeable and what you guys have been able to do just blows my mind. Hats off.

Now that my star struckedness is out of the way... I need to explain my issue. I REALLY want to join the awesome root community... But I only have one huge reason why I want to... And that is to do away with this 30fps silliness.

I am truly fine with my stock EVO except for that HUGE glaring issue. When I can set my Evo next to an Aria and be ashamed at how much smoother his UI looks compared to mine then I tend to get upset. So upset that I am more than willing to do away with my warranty and jump right off the cliff. So I decide to do some research and browse through a lot of topics within this subsection and find this under the [ROM] AC-ROM-Froyo 2.2 sticky:

"Updated 8/2
Q) Will this ROM fix the FPS issue?
A) No, the FPS cap is still in place. You may see people suggesting you download a custom kernel to remove the FPS cap, WE HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT DO THIS! While the kernel may or may not work, the way the FPS "fix" is being implemented is detrimental to the life of your EVO and a waste of battery. The cap has not been removed in these kernels, rather, your LCD screen is being told to refresh twice as fast meaning more battery used and shorter life on your LCD screen (by 200%). We will implement a fix when a proper fix is identified that will not cause damage to your EVO. We care about your EVO as much as you do. Thanks for understanding."

So geez... I really like heeding warnings... It has served me well in the past to listen to people that are far more knowledgeable than I am about such things. So these kernels are not necessarily uncapping the FPS... It's just tricking the OS into double the refresh rate. So thus, PedroTheGoat is confused.

Should I hold up on the root for a while until there is a true uncap??? Or is there a true fix out there? Is this warning an old wife's tale?

There are other reasons why I think rooting would be awesome, such as being able to flash some of these awesome custom ROMS to switch things up a bit. Or trying out different kernals to boost the performance and battery life of my phone...

But the FPS issue is the only thing that is really going to make me jump. Yet trading the life of my screen and battery performance will make me think twice.

So... Help a Goat out?

(I tried a few searches and wasn't really able to come up with much... I apologize if this has been beaten to death)

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, its debatable imo, some say the evos screen is just like the hd2's wich doesn't have 30fps cap, while others think it will kill your screen.
Only time will tell really and personally as long as this phone last a year I could care less due to upgrade but others might need to fulfill the 2 years.

Give both types of roms/kernels a try and see what you like and if cap makes that much of a difference. I suggest cyanogen uncapped(I'm loving it) personally, AC rom for capped.
Smoothness is amazing on cm6 nights but maybe you need sense, it boils down to what you want really.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've only had out a day but so far this 66% charge is still kicking after 7ish hours with moderately heavy use. Wifi on, data sync auto, web surfing and email. Got 23% left, so if say it rocks, imagine what it could do off of a full charge.

Edit-i an using set cpu, and so should you to maximize battery life. It's AMAZING.

Last edited:

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Very nice. Well, rooting is probably going to be in my near future. I may just wait until there is an easier way to root 2.2. Right now the current method seems a bit wonky, especially for someone who is completely new to any of this. An easier root method is inevitable.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Very nice. Well, rooting is probably going to be in my near future. I may just wait until there is an easier way to root 2.2. Right now the current method seems a bit wonky, especially for someone who is completely new to any of this. An easier root method is inevitable.

I say you go for it asap, learn some adb basics, and grasp the concept if root a little better. It helped me with all that anyways, besides take root while you can, never know. Oh and make sure you simple root don't unrevoked or anything.

If you do decide to do it now (which I hope so) its bark is bigger than is bite really, besides you always have the great AC forums to gladly help you out if you get stuck or have question s.

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks man. I'm still a tad vague on a lot of the whole process. I need to spend a lot more time than I have tonight doing some research on everything. I think I may take the jump this Saturday when I actually have hours to spend reading up on all of it. I just can't wait to have a buttery smooth UI after root. This whole 30 fps stuff is just total garbage. You have been super helpful.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
i recommend just doing it. the rooting that is. it's not a huge deal as far as warranty goes because of the ability to return to stock and you can just let it sit rooted. granted you will then be sitting with 2.1, but there are plenty of ROMs that are pretty darn stock. it's just worth the effort to have the access to doing more whenever you get the inclination.

as far as the cap? it's really a "meh" issue for me because i don't do a lot with gaming. in your first post you mentioned the UI smoothness and i am not certain a FPS hack will help that out too much, but it is my opinion it also won't really hurt. you just have to watch out for those kernels that aim to try to push the phone to its limits because of stability. the reason the AC guys recommend not using a kernel is because they don't have one for their ROM yet. when you mix and match kernels and ROMs you can end up worse then when you started off. think about it like mix and matching car parts. essential car parts. you might get the job done, but it may not be pretty. and the FPS cap and fix are "dirty hacks" that just use interpolation or refresh rates. i am not entirely sure which one because i haven't read too much on it. i don't think it will kill your screen, but there is always a potential for it to work you battery harder. how much harder? i dunno.

bottom line: root that bad boy. if you don't like it then return it back to stock with an RUU. it's a win / win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2