New to rooting...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
got it. I did not realize that whenever they release an update it also flashes the current bios into a new code and that they were locked. It also helps to realize that each phone is specific. Also that you can only back up your rom after you have rooted your phone.

So what I need to do is Roll back to 2.1, then root, then back up with nandroid. (which the options should now show up in recovery mode since the phone has been rooted?) Then I can do what I like and go back to the 2.1 rooted rom at any time if I screw something up.

correct

Now my next question is. When they do successfully Root 2.2, am I going to have to roll back to stock 2.2 (unrooted) or will it just be flashable at anypoint like you can do now with unrevoked.

Once you roll back to 2.1 and root it you can then flash any ROM based off of 2.2, like the AC ROM in the sticky. When they successfully root stock 2.2 you won't need to do that because you did the roll back method to root. Once you have root you can flash any ROM you want. You will never need to go back to stock (unless you need to exchange your phone, then I recommend it).

See above.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How do you know that your actually rooted?

I followed these instructions page by page..

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...34-how-rooting-htc-evo-froyo-2-2-windows.html

And also watched and paused it when needed this You Tube Video.

YouTube - How to Root the HTC EVO 4G with Froyo 2.2 Part I [Video Walkthrough]

and

YouTube - How to Root the HTC EVO 4G with Froyo 2.2 Part II [Video Walkthrough]

At the end of part two it shows that your on a "Rooted" version of 2.2... Which I went back to 2.1 and then to 2.2 and now I have Rom Manager downloaded and Have tried a few times with no success to flash a 2.2 ROM and I get an error message and reboot back to my phone....

I do now have a "Super User" icon on my EVO that I don't recall having before... I know when running the ROM Manager it ask for permission which I allowed....

Just feels like some thing is missing here....

How do I know for sure that the phone is rooted and I can actually flash new ROM's????

Thanks...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How do you know that your actually rooted?

I followed these instructions page by page..

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...34-how-rooting-htc-evo-froyo-2-2-windows.html

And also watched and paused it when needed this You Tube Video.

YouTube - How to Root the HTC EVO 4G with Froyo 2.2 Part I [Video Walkthrough]

and

YouTube - How to Root the HTC EVO 4G with Froyo 2.2 Part II [Video Walkthrough]

At the end of part two it shows that your on a "Rooted" version of 2.2... Which I went back to 2.1 and then to 2.2 and now I have Rom Manager downloaded and Have tried a few times with no success to flash a 2.2 ROM and I get an error message and reboot back to my phone....

I do now have a "Super User" icon on my EVO that I don't recall having before... I know when running the ROM Manager it ask for permission which I allowed....

Just feels like some thing is missing here....

How do I know for sure that the phone is rooted and I can actually flash new ROM's????

Thanks...

Never mind... It must have been the CM6 download... I couldn't get it or Fresh to work but Baked Snack worked so I will just try CM6 later...

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
sounds like you had 2 ROMs that require NAND to be unlocked fail, and one that doesn't require it work.

The only assumption that can be made is .......... (insert blank)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
sounds like you had 2 ROMs that require NAND to be unlocked fail, and one that doesn't require it work.

lol. First time rooting, so honestly I have no clue what NAND unlocked means. I followed all the root instructions.... Wish someone could fill in the blank for me? 99% sure it has to be user error somewhere along the line. Explain NAND to me? Baked snack is pretty neat as far as a first time ROM and first time rooting...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

LOL do you not remember the conversation we had about things going without saying? :nods head in disapporoval:

lol. First time rooting, so honestly I have no clue what NAND unlocked means. I followed all the root instructions.... Wish someone could fill in the blank for me? 99% sure it has to be user error somewhere along the line. Explain NAND to me? Baked snack is pretty neat as far as a first time ROM and first time rooting...

My internet connection is slow so i didn't watch the youtube videos. When you got to step 12 which rooting method did you use?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
LOL do you not remember the conversation we had about things going without saying? :nods head in disapporoval:

My internet connection is slow so i didn't watch the youtube videos. When you got to step 12 which rooting method did you use?

I used the unrevoked Method...

josh6780

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I used unrevoked and it was not working till I hours later when I finally figured you had to uninstall HTC Sync. (or maybe I could have just closed it?) anyway after I spent many hours rolling back and rooting. I then started reading how bad unrevoked was and that it's not a real root. So I went back to stock 2.1 again so I can use simple root later

QUESTION!

When I went back to stock for the second time. All I did was drag the PC36IMG back to the sd card and let boot loader catch and reflash again. Now everything worked fine. I figured I didn't need to do all those steps again since I was already on stock. So my question is. Was that ok that I did like that?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I used the unrevoked Method...

Unrevoked doesn't fully root. It doesn't permanently unlock NAND like simple root. That's why you can't flash CM6.

I used unrevoked and it was not working till I hours later when I finally figured you had to uninstall HTC Sync. (or maybe I could have just closed it?) anyway after I spent many hours rolling back and rooting. I then started reading how bad unrevoked was and that it's not a real root. So I went back to stock 2.1 again so I can use simple root later

QUESTION!

When I went back to stock for the second time. All I did was drag the PC36IMG back to the sd card and let boot loader catch and reflash again. Now everything worked fine. I figured I didn't need to do all those steps again since I was already on stock. So my question is. Was that ok that I did like that?

If you have full root than you are ok. If you rolled back to unrooted 2.1 then use the simple root method to obtain root and flash away.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
@Robbie317

How you doing with rooting and flashing? Haven't heard much from you in a few hours and i want to make sure any concerns you have get addressed. If you're still not in a good place post back so we all can jump in and assist.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
@Robbie317

How you doing with rooting and flashing? Haven't heard much from you in a few hours and i want to make sure any concerns you have get addressed. If you're still not in a good place post back so we all can jump in and assist.

Thanks I think I got it figured out in another thread...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=331419&posted=1#post331419

Seems I did miss some thing along the way... I got rooted but I guess didn't unlock the NAND like I thought and had the wrong Hboot file....

I guess there are different types and levels of root since I have flashed Baked Snack but I can't flash CM6 (yet... Tomorrow hopefully)

Gotta say thanks to every one on here for A. being helpful and B. not being rude to the new guys trying to root for the first time....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084