Computer analogies

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I see a lot of people trying to use a computer as an analogy to android and rooting in general. I'm gonna try (and hopefully succeed) in simplifying and explaining some of the analogies (and maybe coming up with a few more, if anybody has any other ones that I didn't include let me know and I'll add them).

1. Making a NAND backup is like making a ghost image of your hard drive. If you restore from a NAND backup it will be like you never changed a thing at all. EVERYTHING will be just like it was when you made the backup. This will not affect radios, being rooted, or your SD card (to the best of my knowledge).

2. NAND is kinda like the BIOS on your computer, except NAND in android is locked. Rooting unlocks NAND which allows you to change ROM's whenever you want. This would be like installing a new operating system on a computer. The big difference is that the BIOS on a computer is not locked so it doesn't prevent you from doing this.

Well I thought I would be able to come up with more but these are the only two I can think of right now.

I'm not a dev so I give credit for everything I've learned about Android and rooting to the people on these forums.

With that being said I tried to be as accurate as I could, but with my limited knowledge may have left some things out. Feel free to comment if something needs to be changed or added.

(I know I didn't talk about the bootloader. That's because I don't know much about how that works. Hopefully someone that does will comment and explain that in simple terms so it can be added.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12