Really annoying CM6 Data Speed Issue. Need you help.

cd5love96

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I posted on XDA but nobody was able to help me so I'm hoping I'll have better luck here.

ROM: CM6 Stable Release (not the nightlies)
Issue: The signal keeps bouncing from 3G to 1X and it just does it at random. I don't see anything in settings to prevent this from happening. This is a big issue because I browse the internet on my phone a lot. I'm assuming 1X is the equivalent of GPRS because it damn sure can't be EDGE since I'm pretty sure EDGE has never been that slow.

This is a big problem because if I download something on Megaupload such as the R2D2 Live wallpaper it will give me a timeout saying "waiting for data connection". I'm pretty sure something is broken in the ROM and want to know what I should be doing.

I want to prevent flashing another ROM because I've already fixed this up to my liking. I have been having this problem for 3 days now and I've had this ROM on my phone for over a week I believe.

Should I try doing a PRL update?

Here's my current info:

PRL Version: 60669
Network: Sprint (I figured I'd put that just in case you thought I was roaming off VZW)
Signal: -79 dBm (currently on 3G signal with 2 bars

Any suggestions?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried the following:

What Radio do you have? 2.15.00.07.28 is the newest
Have you tried updating the PRL? 60670 is the newest
What PRI do you have? 1.40_003 is the newest

all 3 of these things impact/deal with radio control on your phone so ensuring you have the newest stuff is a start.

cd5love96

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Mobile Network Type: CDMA - EvDo rev. A
Baseband Version: 1.36.00.04.02
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.15 - cyanogenmod

Anyone using CM6 having the same issues?

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well sense roms don't show if you drop into edge because they don't have a 1x notification. But anyways, flash the newest radios, update out PRL and try your signal on a different rom just in case. But do a nand backup before you switch to a different rom so you don't lose your precious setup. Haha

cd5love96

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm going to have to go back to Fresh. I would want to try Vaelpack but it's not available for download in ROM manager. I did a nand backup so I'll see what I do next. This sucks.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Mobile Network Type: CDMA - EvDo rev. A
Baseband Version: 1.36.00.04.02
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.15 - cyanogenmod

Anyone using CM6 having the same issues?

Without stating the obvious, your answers are likely in my first post (post #2)
You have an outdated radio, the older PRL, and im willing to bet the farm you have the 1.34 PRI

Well sense roms don't show if you drop into edge because they don't have a 1x notification.

Although sense doesnt technically show you when you are on 1xrtt by indicating 1xrtt, it does show you in a way. When you phone is using 1xrtt the 3g icon and arrows will completely disappear from the notification car. You can see this in action by adding the "mobile network" settings widget you a screen and turning it off. This takes you off 3g and puts you on 1xrtt.

Cheers!

cd5love96

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I did nand backup, flashed fresh rom, updated prl, did nand restore and now it seems I'm getting steady 3G coverage even though the bars go from full to 3 to 2 bars. We'll see how this works.

By the way I checked my PRL version and it is updated.

Last edited:

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying to update my PRI for an hour now. I've probably activated my handset 8 times. Argh...

I wish I could just flash the PRI. This is getting ridiculous.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I did nand backup, flashed fresh rom, updated prl, did nand restore and now it seems I'm getting steady 3G coverage even though the bars go from full to 3 to 2 bars. We'll see how this works.

You might also give the radio flash a try. No need to use a sense ROM to flash it, from what I have read this can be done right from recovery while still on CM6. Here's a link.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I've been trying to update my PRI for an hour now. I've probably activated my handset 8 times. Argh...

I wish I could just flash the PRI. This is getting ridiculous.

Here's how i got it to work after trying everything 30 or so times unsuccessfully.

1) Loaded AC-ROM (technically i was already on it)
2) once into android do ##786# (all the steps of the reset, MSL blah blah blah)
3) When it boots into recovery wipe everything factory/dalvik/cache (i did it twice)
4) Prior to rebooting, reflash the AC-ROM

I read something similar to this on XDA which had you flashing 2 different ROM's and all this jazz. If that works for some good for them, but using a single ROM based off the sprint base should work just fine. I think the step of flashing a ROM right after the wipes somehow assists in the phone getting the new PRI.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was too lazy to read...

Just a Heads up as far as I knew Sense didnt have a 1x Icon hence you would always see 3G

Maybe your not in a solid 3G Area... Just sayin' it could be a possibility

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's how i got it to work after trying everything 30 or so times unsuccessfully.

1) Loaded AC-ROM (technically i was already on it)
2) once into android do ##786# (all the steps of the reset, MSL blah blah blah)
3) When it boots into recovery wipe everything factory/dalvik/cache (i did it twice)
4) Prior to rebooting, reflash the AC-ROM

I read something similar to this on XDA which had you flashing 2 different ROM's and all this jazz. If that works for some good for them, but using a single ROM based off the sprint base should work just fine. I think the step of flashing a ROM right after the wipes somehow assists in the phone getting the new PRI.

Sweet. That will be my project once I get off work tonight. This whole PRI stuff is is the biggest snag I've encountered since rooting. Being a CM6 user makes it even a bigger pain. I'll try flashing AC tonight. So as the phone is rebooting after the ##786# stuff then hold volume and power button to immediately go into recovery mode?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
So as the phone is rebooting after the ##786# stuff then hold volume and power button to immediately go into recovery mode?

No need, when you do the ##786# it automatically goes into recovery so it can wipe factory. Once your in recovery wipe factory again, wipe cache x2, wipe dalvik x2, then flash AC-ROM again, then reboot.

worked the first time i tried which is why i think the flashing of a ROM during the process somehow helps kick it off.

EDIT - One more thing, seems lots more people are having success getting a PRI using amonRA 1.80 compared to older amon recoveries or clockwork recoveries. Just thought id throw that out.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Where have you read this from. I'm downloading it now but I don't want to mess anything up while flashing. Any steps I have to take before doing this?

Pretty sure it was a tweet on cyanogen's twitter account but here's another person talking about it from cyanogen(mod) forums.

You'll have to do research but use Google. I just came up with 96,000 results by googling "newest sprint EVO radio with cm6". Also if you want specific info about CM, the best place you can possible go is directly to the source

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
No need, when you do the ##786# it automatically goes into recovery so it can wipe factory. Once your in recovery wipe factory again, wipe cache x2, wipe dalvik x2, then flash AC-ROM again, then reboot.

worked the first time i tried which is why i think the flashing of a ROM during the process somehow helps kick it off.

EDIT - One more thing, seems lots more people are having success getting a PRI using amonRA 1.80 compared to older amon recoveries or clockwork recoveries. Just thought id throw that out.

Whew, on my second try of this process. REALLY hoping it works.

Edit: Seventh try! Silly network!!! Gonna give up tonight.

This is just no fun at all. I wish Sprint could get their crap together and not make updating your PRI a crap shoot.

Last edited: