Where's a how-to for installing cynaogenmod on Evo 4G?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I looked on cyanogenmod's website and could not find a single how-to for installing cyanogenmod! Can someone please help me?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You don't need a how too, its just like every other rom out there, and I'm willing to bet your not rooted. So head over to the roms/hacks section

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
You don't need a how too, its just like every other rom out there, and I'm willing to bet your not rooted. So head over to the roms/hacks section
I thought CM was "special" in the sense that it required an older boot loader, or something, to be installed. "Eng boot" or something cryptic like that.

I'm probably wrong. I'm still finding this stuff to be more than a little confusing.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought CM was "special" in the sense that it required an older boot loader, or something, to be installed. "Eng boot" or something cryptic like that.

I'm probably wrong. I'm still finding this stuff to be more than a little confusing.

You have to be fully rooted. So if you rooted using unrevoked you won't be able to flash CM6. NAND has to be fully unlocked.

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I looked on cyanogenmod's website and could not find a single how-to for installing cyanogenmod! Can someone please help me?

Okay friend... I was in the EXACT same boat as you... I was pretty confused.

Here's a step by step for you.

1. Root... You probably already have... But if you have not then check out the sticky and DON'T BE SCARED. (Please go with Simple Root after reverting to 2.1 for now unless unrEVOked has released there fancy new one click 2.2 method)

2. Once you are rooted then immediately download Super User and ROM Manager from the market.

3. Flash Clockwork recovery through ROM Manager... Then create a backup through ROM manager afterwards. (You'll be creating LOTS of backups throughout your rooting career)

4. Now download CM6 directly through your EVO's browser (if you're connected to wifi) or drop it on your SD card through your PC.

5. Flash CM6 through ROM Manager. Find the appropriate Google apps (On CM6's website) and flash those too once CM6 is flashed... No need to wipe data when flashing Google apps. Then download Super User, Rom Manager, AND Astro File Manager.

6. FIND LATEST RADIOS AND FLASH THEM THE SAME WAY YOU DID CM6. (When flashing radios you do not need to wipe data)

7. And BOOM... Enjoy your new CM6 HOTNESS. (And create backups... Lots of F#$&ING backups... Then backup some more for good measure)

(Do not rename your backups... It's apparently not a good idea from what I hear. Just remember and write down dates)

Then after all that you can finally get into some Kernel madness... But enjoy your CM6 for a few days before diving into all that.

Eventually you will discover that your PRI is not up to date... And it will anger you... (This is where I am at now) Luckily... Having a newer and more fancy PRI is not necessary... It will just drive you nuts if you're OCD like this Goat.

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been renaming my backups and haven't had problems (yet). Anyone care to shed some light on the advice "don't rename backups"?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay friend... I was in the EXACT same boat as you... I was pretty confused.

Here's a step by step for you.

1. Root... You probably already have... But if you have not then check out the sticky and DON'T BE SCARED. (Please go with Simple Root after reverting to 2.1 for now unless unrEVOked has released there fancy new one click 2.2 method)

2. Once you are rooted then immediately download Super User and ROM Manager from the market.

3. Flash Clockwork recovery through ROM Manager... Then create a backup through ROM manager afterwards. (You'll be creating LOTS of backups throughout your rooting career)

4. Now download CM6 directly through your EVO's browser (if you're connected to wifi) or drop it on your SD card through your PC.

5. Flash CM6 through ROM Manager. Find the appropriate Google apps (On CM6's website) and flash those too once CM6 is flashed... No need to wipe data when flashing Google apps. Then download Super User, Rom Manager, AND Astro File Manager.

6. FIND LATEST RADIOS AND FLASH THEM THE SAME WAY YOU DID CM6. (When flashing radios you do not need to wipe data)

7. And BOOM... Enjoy your new CM6 HOTNESS. (And create backups... Lots of F#$&ING backups... Then backup some more for good measure)

(Do not rename your backups... It's apparently not a good idea from what I hear. Just remember and write down dates)

Then after all that you can finally get into some Kernel madness... But enjoy your CM6 for a few days before diving into all that.

Eventually you will discover that your PRI is not up to date... And it will anger you... (This is where I am at now) Luckily... Having a newer and more fancy PRI is not necessary... It will just drive you nuts if you're OCD like this Goat.

Those are good step by step instructions. Yeah the PRI thing is a PITA (kinda like returning to stock unrooted). I just left it alone.

Good Goat... Take the work off the OG's

A lot of the OG's aren't on here as much it seems like now.

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been renaming my backups and haven't had problems (yet). Anyone care to shed some light on the advice "don't rename backups"?

Just what I've heard. If it's working for you then I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless someone more experienced than I says otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy