Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help Please!! -Unrevoked 3.21!!

Could someone please help I keep getting "failed to flash recovery image" every time I go throug the process on the Beta Test 3.21. Everyone seems to be having success.

I no that I have the bootloader installed and the phone is definetly on "charge only" mode when I try to use the program.

I know for a fact that there is no HTC Synce or anything downloaded to my computer that could hurt it because I am on a brand new computer.

What am I missing..is there something else that I need to download to my computer or phone to make it work?

Did you install the HBOOT windows driver? (please don't say you're on a Mac...)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Did you install the HBOOT windows driver? (please don't say you're on a Mac...)
    Yes I am very sure that I did. I am running windows xp

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

You need to download in and install HTC Sync, then uninstall it once it has finished. Go into control panel and then "add/remove programs". There will be two entries for HTC Sync. One is the program and the other is a driver package. Keep the driver package but uninstall the program. That sounds like your missing link. You should be able to root fine afterward.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Or you could say screw it and root like a man (the sticky)
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
    Thanked by:

Do you have USB debugging checked?

Settings > applications > development

Seems you didnt mention that part thats the only thing I can think of for your failure.

I rooted successfully with the beta 3.21 without having to have the HTC sync drivers installed, just installed the HBOOT windows drivers (although I was on parallels Win 7)

Good luck!

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheebahawk1 View Post

Seems you didnt mention that part thats the only thing I can think of for your failure.

I rooted successfully with the beta 3.21 without having to have the HTC sync drivers installed, just installed the HBOOT windows drivers (although I was on parallels Win 7)

Good luck!

Good call. I'd actually be willing to bet that is his problem.

Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    Or you could say screw it and root like a man (the sticky)
    Will 4G still work?

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chris4404 View Post
    Will 4G still work?
    Yes 4G will still work. Unless you run a CM rom. 4G, HDMI and FM radio have not been integrated yet into any of the CM Roms.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by cheebahawk1 View Post

Good luck!
    Yes..I have that checked but it still doesn't work. I guess I just have to wait for the app to be created..
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,112 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Or you can root using simple root.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    Or you can root using simple root.
    Can I do this on 2.2 without downgrading to 2.1???
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,112 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Can I do this on 2.2 without downgrading to 2.1???
    Not that I know of.

Are you on stock 2.2 currently? I know this sounds dumb, but I have seen some people trying to run this and already on custom roms for some reason.

I just ran it and worked flawlessly for me

I am one of the few, it seems, that is running stock group. I upgraded and now want to root. I have a Mac and need to know the best way to accomplish this. Is there an easier way to fully root without having to downgrade to 2.1? I am very green to all this rooting/custom ROM stuff and can't find a way to root with a Mac so I can wireless tether (this is 90% the reason I want to root in the first place).

Thanks.

If you want to make life easier. grab an XP machine from a friend or do at work. Will take you literally 5 mins to get this done.

I purposely did it on my XP work machine rather then my Win7 machine because I didnt want to screw around with drivers the whole time.

You know what you are right. I'm taking my work laptop home tonight and getting this taken care of. Thanks.

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Could someone please help I keep getting "failed to flash recovery image" every time I go throug the process on the Beta Test 3.21. Everyone seems to be having success.

I no that I have the bootloader installed and the phone is definetly on "charge only" mode when I try to use the program.

I know for a fact that there is no HTC Synce or anything downloaded to my computer that could hurt it because I am on a brand new computer.

What am I missing..is there something else that I need to download to my computer or phone to make it work?

Maybe if you can't root correctly using a one click method, rooting isn't for you?

Especially since a method that for sure works is posted about 3 posts up, but take a little longer.

ps. sync has no "e" in it =P
    Last edited by liquidjesus; 09-15-2010 at 02:56 PM.

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675
    Thanked by:
    Mdorty 

Default Re: Help Please!! -Unrevoked 3.21!!

I just rooted my stock 2.2 using unrevoked beta and it worked great. But I had to set the sd card to disk drive mode, not charge only. Perhaps that's the problem.

----
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G because it WAS the droid I was looking for.
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7
    Nexus 10
    Nexus Q
    Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
    Logitech Revue
    Chromecast
    http://www.arkandroid.com

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ecaggiani View Post
    I just rooted my stock 2.2 using unrevoked beta and it worked great. But I had to set the sd card to disk drive mode, not charge only. Perhaps that's the problem.

----
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G because it WAS the droid I was looking for.
    glad you made the jump!

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675