Could someone please help I keep getting "failed to flash recovery image" every time I go throug the process on the Beta Test 3.21. Everyone seems to be having success.

I no that I have the bootloader installed and the phone is definetly on "charge only" mode when I try to use the program.

I know for a fact that there is no HTC Synce or anything downloaded to my computer that could hurt it because I am on a brand new computer.

What am I missing..is there something else that I need to download to my computer or phone to make it work?
    09-12-2010 10:21 PM
    Did you install the HBOOT windows driver? (please don't say you're on a Mac...)
    09-12-2010 10:44 PM
    Did you install the HBOOT windows driver? (please don't say you're on a Mac...)
    Yes I am very sure that I did. I am running windows xp
    09-12-2010 11:23 PM
    You need to download in and install HTC Sync, then uninstall it once it has finished. Go into control panel and then "add/remove programs". There will be two entries for HTC Sync. One is the program and the other is a driver package. Keep the driver package but uninstall the program. That sounds like your missing link. You should be able to root fine afterward.
    09-13-2010 09:40 AM
    Or you could say screw it and root like a man (the sticky)
    trooper54 likes this.
    09-13-2010 09:42 AM
    Do you have USB debugging checked?

Settings > applications > development

Seems you didnt mention that part thats the only thing I can think of for your failure.

I rooted successfully with the beta 3.21 without having to have the HTC sync drivers installed, just installed the HBOOT windows drivers (although I was on parallels Win 7)

Good luck!
    09-13-2010 10:49 AM

Seems you didnt mention that part thats the only thing I can think of for your failure.

I rooted successfully with the beta 3.21 without having to have the HTC sync drivers installed, just installed the HBOOT windows drivers (although I was on parallels Win 7)

Good luck!

Good call. I'd actually be willing to bet that is his problem.
    09-13-2010 12:17 PM
    Or you could say screw it and root like a man (the sticky)
    Will 4G still work?
    09-13-2010 12:51 PM
    Will 4G still work?
    Yes 4G will still work. Unless you run a CM rom. 4G, HDMI and FM radio have not been integrated yet into any of the CM Roms.
    09-13-2010 01:09 PM

Good luck!
    Yes..I have that checked but it still doesn't work. I guess I just have to wait for the app to be created..
    09-13-2010 10:14 PM
    Or you can root using simple root.
    09-13-2010 10:22 PM
    Or you can root using simple root.
    Can I do this on 2.2 without downgrading to 2.1???
    09-13-2010 10:27 PM
    Can I do this on 2.2 without downgrading to 2.1???
    Not that I know of.
    09-13-2010 10:40 PM
    Are you on stock 2.2 currently? I know this sounds dumb, but I have seen some people trying to run this and already on custom roms for some reason.

I just ran it and worked flawlessly for me
    09-14-2010 11:40 AM
    I am one of the few, it seems, that is running stock group. I upgraded and now want to root. I have a Mac and need to know the best way to accomplish this. Is there an easier way to fully root without having to downgrade to 2.1? I am very green to all this rooting/custom ROM stuff and can't find a way to root with a Mac so I can wireless tether (this is 90% the reason I want to root in the first place).

Thanks.
    09-14-2010 03:59 PM
    If you want to make life easier. grab an XP machine from a friend or do at work. Will take you literally 5 mins to get this done.

I purposely did it on my XP work machine rather then my Win7 machine because I didnt want to screw around with drivers the whole time.
    09-15-2010 08:04 AM
    You know what you are right. I'm taking my work laptop home tonight and getting this taken care of. Thanks.
    09-15-2010 12:10 PM
    Could someone please help I keep getting "failed to flash recovery image" every time I go throug the process on the Beta Test 3.21. Everyone seems to be having success.

I no that I have the bootloader installed and the phone is definetly on "charge only" mode when I try to use the program.

I know for a fact that there is no HTC Synce or anything downloaded to my computer that could hurt it because I am on a brand new computer.

What am I missing..is there something else that I need to download to my computer or phone to make it work?

Maybe if you can't root correctly using a one click method, rooting isn't for you?

Especially since a method that for sure works is posted about 3 posts up, but take a little longer.

ps. sync has no "e" in it =P
    Mdorty likes this.
    09-15-2010 02:50 PM
    I just rooted my stock 2.2 using unrevoked beta and it worked great. But I had to set the sd card to disk drive mode, not charge only. Perhaps that's the problem.

----
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G because it WAS the droid I was looking for.
    09-15-2010 05:39 PM
    I just rooted my stock 2.2 using unrevoked beta and it worked great. But I had to set the sd card to disk drive mode, not charge only. Perhaps that's the problem.

----
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G because it WAS the droid I was looking for.
    glad you made the jump!
    09-15-2010 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD