Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [HOW TO] Build A Theme-By SGBZ

This is a tutorial for how to build an EVO theme! Before you begin you will need the following tools...

-7zip

-Android SDK (setup)

-Winsign-Go Here!!!

-Photoshop (Gimp is free photo editing software)

All of these tools can be found through google search.

take your editable apk's out of the rom by copying and pasting them from the open rom to your folder you are going to use them out of. the example we will use is the phone apk and the phone default icon. this is the picture you see when you call someone without a photo in your contacts.

right click the phone apk and select 7zip open archive.

copy the res from 7zip to the folder you are working in then open the res folder

in this example the editable files are in the drawable hdpi folder.

there is our cute little phone default icon, now click and drag the little guy into photoshop.
    Last edited by Big D5; 12-25-2010 at 01:31 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

if you see a little lock next to the layer, right click and duplicate the layer then delete the locked layer. if the layer says index next to it click image, mode, rgb.

erase the original image. anything you make will have to fit in the original canvas size so we will build off of the original file. you will want to see the checkerboard pattern to indicate that your image does not have a background.

click and drag the image you want to use onto our original phone_default canvas and resize the image to fit the canvas or simply center the image. to make sure that the proportions are correct during resizing hold the shift key.
    Last edited by sprintgirl; 09-24-2010 at 05:36 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

when you save the file you made make sure your are in the same folder you got it from, save as png, to make sure the file doesn't duplicate click the name of the file up top (saves time) that way you don't accidentally end up with phone_default[1] or phone_default.psd

after you click save make sure when this box pops up it says none and click ok

make sure your file was overwritten in its original location, then back out until you reach your res folder

put the res folder back where you got it from in 7zip, click yes to the box that pops up

sign your phone apk
    Last edited by sprintgirl; 09-29-2010 at 11:18 PM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

create a system folder and move all your edited signed apk's into that folder

inside system create a framework folder and an app folder (others may be required depending on the type of file being edited but all apk's will either be app or framework) then move your apk's into the correct folders. phone default will go in app as would clock widget and rosie...others may go in framework (com.htc.resources) depending on where you got it from.

then put in your meta file next to your system folder (For your convenience)

select both folders (make sure before doing this that all of your apk's have been signed) right click, 7zip add to (name).zip

sign your zip

then...copy zip to sd card and flash...take screen shots and post to share with the ANDROID CENTRAL Family!
    Last edited by sprintgirl; 09-24-2010 at 05:44 PM.
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This is meant only to get you started! Explore apk's and folders! Have fun with it! I would tell you all the files that I edit specifically and which apk's they come from but it is my opinion that I would only limit your creativity! Plus...why would I give away my secrets Enjoy guys! I know you have all been waiting for this!
    Last edited by sprintgirl; 09-13-2010 at 02:00 AM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Reserved for linkys to YOUR theme threads! PM me a linky to your thread...when you get there-no hurry and I will put a link to your EVO theme right HERE!

SGBZ EVO THEMES
    Last edited by sprintgirl; 09-13-2010 at 10:54 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Oh sweet! Ill give it a go soon

Don't expect greatness... haha. Thank you!

Do I smell a sticky...?
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

LOL start small maybe a clock first And I EXPECT GREATNESS!!! j/k
    Just have fun with it is all I ask! Oh and SHARE!
    Thanked by 2:
    ErikNjavi_06 
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by sprintgirl View Post
    LOL start small maybe a clock first And I EXPECT GREATNESS!!! j/k
    Just have fun with it is all I ask! Oh and SHARE!
    Yes ma'am, will do! This will be the first place I come with whatever I make, my friends can wait
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

Three things ...

1) Amazing work as always.
    2) @Everyone, please make sure you scroll up and click the "thanks" button for Sprintgirl if this helps you. She worked very hard on this and giving someone a thanks every now and then means a lot.
    3) Sticky!
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 10-14-2010 at 08:07 AM.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by 3:

Gonna attempt this later tonight, thanks for the info sg.

Very nice tutorial. I'll give it a try later.

EPIC post, now just to get my post count up to 5 to download winsign

ok. so im givin this a shot.. does anyone kno how to do the screen capture thing from the celly.. i have an evo with AC ROM if that matters.. thankx

Default Re: [HOW TO] Build A Theme-By SGBZ

Quote Originally Posted by l1ttl3z View Post
    ok. so im givin this a shot.. does anyone kno how to do the screen capture thing from the celly.. i have an evo with AC ROM if that matters.. thankx
    Shoot me. Free app from the market.
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Yep SHOOT ME is great! That's what I use. Just don't forget to exit the program when you are finished. You wouldn't want to accidently capture anything incriminating! Then I use photobucket to upload them to the net and just copy and paste the IMG code into the forum post. Can't wait to see some pix!

Here it is.. im not as gud as half the ppl on here but i did it Thankx to Sprintgirl and the rest of the ppl on here...

wow i jus noticed i messed up im not all that gud wit photoshop lol
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Very cute! I love the boobies!
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

^ ooo its on now, I'm making it lakers one!!! Grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by l1ttl3z View Post
    Here it is.. im not as gud as half the ppl on here but i did it Thankx to Sprintgirl and the rest of the ppl on here...
    I lol'd when i noticed you gave the android an .... enhanced chest

i cant figure out how to sign the apk. does the phone have to be connected to adb in order to sign?

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

SG, where do i find the battery png's to mess with how the battery looks?

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

to sign the apk-the phone does not need to be plugged in because the apk should be on your computer while you are editing it. Please use a set of apk's from the rom you are running and use a clean (stock) set and make a copy then edit the copy. DO NOT USE YOUR ORIGINALS! If you set up winsign (extract all the folders in the zip into the tools folder in SDK and run the .bat file) then you should just have to double click the file and the little black box will pop up. -this means it's signing.

battery icons are in the framework-res.apk
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Well your guide works I had no problems. But... I'm HORRIBLE at photoshop. I give up for now haha.
    Thanked by:
    momo20 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast