Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    kenlperry's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

    Default HELP. What's the simplest, easiest way to root my Evo???

    My Evo is running Froyo/2.2 and HTC Sense. I love it the way it is. I just want to install the wireless tethering apk and have it work, and I was told I need to root my phone to make this happen. I went to the UnRevoked site and it looks like UnRevoked3 has been taken offline for the time being. So I'm wondering what I can do to root my phone and still have it look exactly the way it is now, with all my downloaded and installed apps, scenes, etc... If someone can explain to me, and possibly provide detailed instructions(or a link to detailed instructions) I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks!

    KP
  2. #2  
    dcfella's Avatar

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

    Default

    I was totally new to rooting/roms. I used unrevoked and it took less than 10 minutes. Super easy. I downloaded the file before they yanked it, but i think it's still available online if you search for it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    kenlperry's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

    Default

    @dcfella, Did you use the 3.21 beta file or what?
  4. #4  
    mr.wizard's Avatar

    Posts
    232 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 nightly/CleanROM 2.4

    Default

    My vote is for simpleroot, but I don't have a link for ya. Sorry. But it has "simple" in the name, and it will unlock nand which is nice to have
  5. #5  
    trooper54's Avatar

    Posts
    1,411 Posts
    ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

    Default Re: HELP. What's the simplest, easiest way to root my Evo???

    There is a difference in the easiest way and the right way. I recommend you Use the instructions in the rooting 2.2 sticky, or follow the link in there to the xda forum post. Otherwise use thee over click unrevoked.

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

    "In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"


    I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675
  6. #6  

    Default

    The new 3.2.1 is available on the IRC channel and it is really easy to root. I was able to root within 10 minutes and also flashed Baked Snack 1.7.

    It was a breeze and I love it!
  7. #7  

    Default

    This:

    http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...2-windows.html


    Might look lengthy, but read up and follow the steps carefully and it is not hard at all. I had baked snack on my evo in under an hour.
  8. #8  
    dcfella's Avatar

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenlperry View Post
    @dcfella, Did you use the 3.21 beta file or what?
    Yeah, I believe that's the file I used. Took just a couple of minutes to complete the whole process. Super easy.

    After that, I just installed ROM manager, Titanium backup, and downloaded a few new ROMs straight to my SD card. ROM manager does the rest to install things.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    kenlperry's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

    Default

    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I got this completed this evening using the beta file. It worked like a charm!!!
  10. #10  

    Default

    Could someone post a usable link?
  11. #11  

    Default

    If you are in that much of a rush, the IRC link is posted on unRevoked site.
    I got mine in a different fashion, but that is the easiest i guess if you do not wish to search XDA's site
  12. #12  

    Default

    Hey kenlperry, I'm in the same situation. Can you tell us which method you used? Did it remove the apps/widgets/etc you wanted to keep? Thanks!
  13. #13  
    truslide's Avatar

    Posts
    562 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Enable USB tethering. Settings>Application Manager>Development>USB Tethering.

    unrevoked

    Download.

    Open.

    Done.

    This kept my phone exactly the same way I had before. I downloaded Titanium Backup after. Then the BusyBox. Then downloaded Wifi Tether. Now I'm working on learning ROMs.

    Good Luck.
  14. #14  

    Default

    For my 4th evo, I tried the newest unrevoked and that was the quickest and easiest.... I have done every other method.... ranging from the reverting back to 2.1 and cycling airplane mode. To the O. G. Long way..... as well as simpleroot.
    US Cellular Samsung GS3

    Rooted and Ready!
  15. #15  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    If you use unrevoked, don't expect alot of help from the heavy weights around here if you run into problems doing stuff.

    Theres a reason why there isn't a unrevoked sticky.
    Last edited by igotsanevo4g; 10-03-2010 at 09:42 PM.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  16. #16  
    enzofall's Avatar

    Posts
    521 Posts
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7

    Default

    Unrevoked is easiest...but many suggest to avoid it...i have not heard problems about it...but nothing can really beat the tried and true..although the tried and true is a little more difficult
    I tweet too - @enzofall
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    kenlperry's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by port23user View Post
    Hey kenlperry, I'm in the same situation. Can you tell us which method you used? Did it remove the apps/widgets/etc you wanted to keep? Thanks!
    Hi. I used the UnRevoked 3.2 method and it was very easy. If you're interested go to their website and just follow the instructions. Read everything twice(or three times) to lessen the likelihood of you making mistakes. Oh, and I didn't lose anything at all. My phone layout looked exactly the same and functioned the same too, just with added root permissions.
  18. #18  
    truslide's Avatar

    Posts
    562 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    ^same for me. I haven't run into anything. I have SU permissions and I've downloaded apps requiring root, everything is ok so far. I haven't flashed any ROMs, still haven't figured it out but I think i'll wait. I'm concerned with all this downplaying of unrevoked. I don't want to run something that doesn't get much support from the developers...
  19. #19  
    sasha's Avatar

    Posts
    565 Posts
    Global Posts
    568 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truslide View Post
    ^same for me. I haven't run into anything. I have SU permissions and I've downloaded apps requiring root, everything is ok so far. I haven't flashed any ROMs, still haven't figured it out but I think i'll wait. I'm concerned with all this downplaying of unrevoked. I don't want to run something that doesn't get much support from the developers...
    There is nothing wrong with unrevoked I think some folks just frown on it cause it's kinda like taking the easy way out instead of reading and learning to do it the regular way. You may have some people unwilling to help you because you used unrevoked but there are many who will, so I wouldn't worry about that to much. That being said since your already rooted might as well download rom manager and get ready to start flashing some awesomeness!
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4
  20. #20  
    d3xn2o's Avatar

    Posts
    2,252 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    There is nothing wrong with unrevoked I think some folks just frown on it cause it's kinda like taking the easy way out instead of reading and learning to do it the regular way. You may have some people unwilling to help you because you used unrevoked but there are many who will, so I wouldn't worry about that to much. That being said since your already rooted might as well download rom manager and get ready to start flashing some awesomeness!
    Im one of those ****** bags that wont help BTW...


    Unless you ask really nice... I've been known to be a softy :o
    Arrogant Linux Elitist
  21. #21  
    sasha's Avatar

    Posts
    565 Posts
    Global Posts
    568 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d3xn2o View Post
    Im one of those ****** bags that wont help BTW...


    Unless you ask really nice... I've been known to be a softy :o
    Remember to say pretty please with sugar on top..lol!
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4
  22. #22  
    d3xn2o's Avatar

    Posts
    2,252 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    Remember to say pretty please with sugar on top..lol!
    Yea... well if your a dude and you say that to me I might just blacklist you haha

    Just Sayin'
    Arrogant Linux Elitist
  23. #23  

    Default

    Here are the steps to using unrevoked laid out step-by-step:

    [GUIDE] One Click How to Root the EVO with Unrevoked 3.21 - xda-developers

    Watch the video first so that you understand everything before you start going through the steps. It took about 10 minutes.

    And I still do not understand...

    Why are there some who are so negative about the new unrevoked with the full root?

    It there anything that you lose by using the new unrevoked full root?

    Sorry, I just don't understand the issues.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
  24. #24  
    trooper54's Avatar

    Posts
    1,411 Posts
    ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Here are the steps to using unrevoked laid out step-by-step:

    [GUIDE] One Click How to Root the EVO with Unrevoked 3.21 - xda-developers

    Watch the video first so that you understand everything before you start going through the steps. It took about 10 minutes.

    And I still do not understand...

    Why are there some who are so negative about the new unrevoked with the full root?

    It there anything that you lose by using the new unrevoked full root?

    Sorry, I just don't understand the issues.
    You lose your ability to trouble shoot if anything happens that you don't like. Then you come back here complaining how you don't know what you did, to trouble shoot.

    "In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"


    I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675
    Thanked by:
    d3xn2o 
  25. #25  

    Default

    If those from unrEVOked were more open with their method it'll be a LOT easier to help people. But since they guard it like they have nuclear secrets there's not much we can do. I think it really goes against what Android is all about to be honest. But w/e. Do as you may. Right way > easy way
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions