Point of rooting?

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
So i just got the new ota...my phone is a lot nicer with the fps cap is off..I don't "need" WiFi tether (would be a nice novelties though)...and I'm probably not gonna be flashing a new Rom every other week...so my only benefit is overclocking...or can putting custom roms be easy enough? Is it worth it? Feedback please...

Sent from my PC36100

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So i just got the new ota...my phone is a lot nicer with the fps cap is off..I don't "need" WiFi tether (would be a nice novelties though)...and I'm probably not gonna be flashing a new Rom every other week...so my only benefit is overclocking...or can putting custom roms be easy enough? Is it worth it? Feedback please...

Sent from my PC36100

Personal Preference really... Is it worth it to you? Then Yes

Is it worth the Effort for me... Absolutely but its a General Opinion

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my PC36100

I like it because of certain apps that don't work without rooting, titanium backup in particular and wireless tether. I like to know that those things are there just in case. Custom roms are very easy once you root (ROM Manager from the market) and there are quite a few out there. Personally, I just run the stock ROM and haven't really had the desire to play around with custom ones.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Depends on how involved you want to get with your phone.
I do it mostly because I get bored at work and want to tinker. I learned alot along the way with it.
OC'ing the phone really wakes it up
Now with the new OTA, the FPS unlock is a great feature. That deff made a world of difference in the roms I had before. Now its stock.

Depends on what you want to to with the phone.

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
I know there's this big debate between Unrevoked or the "hard" way...not to start world war 3 here but what do you recommend or don't recommend?

Sent from my PC36100

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I know there's this big debate between Unrevoked or the "hard" way...not to start world war 3 here but what do you recommend or don't recommend?

Sent from my PC36100

The hard way isn't even hard, and as they say nothing good is easy. So delicately stay away from unrevoked imo.

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
There something to be said for both approaches. The "hard way" is certainly more educational, and you'll be exposing yourself to various techniques that could come in handy some day. I've you've got some time to spare, and have at least a bit of geekiness, I'd recommend working your way through the manual rooting process.

The "easy way", Unrevoked 3.2x, has the benefit of being easy, fast and relatively idiot proof. (Only relatively, though. You still gotta read.)

I guess it might also depend on what you intend to do with your phone, post-root. The "easy way" leaves you running the same ROM you started with, except now you are rooted, and a custom recovery has been installed. The "hard way" pretty much forces you to flash a ROM afterwards, just to get back to the point where you were when you started. If you already intended to flash a custom ROM, then that's great, but if you just wanted root, then the manual rooting method takes you a ways "out of your way". (It's still an interesting ride, though.)

Do both! :p

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Good point of view...I want to keep my phone the way it is now and think about custom roms later...so ill probably go Unrevoked...although I'm really interested in learning the ways of the force lol...my buddy has a old g1 and I think he might let me get my feet wet and tinker with his.

Sent from my PC36100

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae