Cannot update Wimax...

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Using Clockworkmod recovery, I flashed the HTC OTA Froyo 2.2 Final (3.26.651.6) Odexed ROM from here. I also flashed the Radio update as well as the Wimax update.

The first two seem to work, since I see Android version 2.2 and Baseband version 2.15.00.07.28 in phone info. I downloaded the latest Wifi Tether for Root, installed it and got it to work successfully.

However, the Wimax was not updated. Android Terminal Emulator still shows the older version "4.6.2.2v25641_" and not 26023. I believe I did the flashing correctly, rebooting after each update. I tried it both with ROM Manager, as well as manually. I didnt see any issues/errors while flashing.

What is wrong?

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
ok, i just tried flashing the combo pack. No difference. Did not work.

Do these new Wimax/radio versions work on Android 2.1? What if I restore from backup my rooted Android 2.1 ROM, and then try to flash these radios again? Would this work?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
ok, i just tried flashing the combo pack. No difference. Did not work.

Do these new Wimax/radio versions work on Android 2.1? What if I restore from backup my rooted Android 2.1 ROM, and then try to flash these radios again? Would this work?

Are you running the latest clock word mod? 2.5.0.1, you can check in rom manager.

Also, after the flash when it reboots does it go back in to recovery and tell you it's completed?

Last edited:

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Are you running the latest clock word mod? 2.5.0.1, you can check in rom manager.

Also, after the flash when it reboots does it go back in to recovery and tell you it's completed?

Hmm. this is weird, ROM Manager shows the current version as 2.5.0.1, but when I actually boot into recovery (manually or via ROM Manager's option), it shows 2.0.2.4.

When flashing things manually, yes it does say update from sdcard completed, and reboot from menu to complete.

When doing it via ROM Manager, it reboots automatically once or twice, so i really can see the confimation message (if any)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. this is weird, ROM Manager shows the current version as 2.5.0.1, but when I actually boot into recovery (manually or via ROM Manager's option), it shows 2.0.2.4.

When flashing things manually, yes it does say update from sdcard completed, and reboot from menu to complete.

When doing it via ROM Manager, it reboots automatically once or twice, so i really can see the confimation message (if any)

that is really strange, I wonder if it has anything to do with the radio flash, in rom manager maybe try to go to 2.5.0.0 and see if it takes, then try the radio again? Can always try RA also.

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
ok, i just tried flashing 2.5.0.0. Got a general error message saying an error occurred while flashing it.

Now trying to flash RA Recovery 1.8.0......

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, in ROM Manager menu, here's what I see...

Flash ClockworkMod Recovery
- Current Recovery: RA Recovery v1.8.0
- Latest Recovery: ClockworkMod v2.5.0.1
Reboot Into Recovery
- Reboot into recovery mode for manual management

So i selected "Reboot Into Recovery" option and when I'm in recovery, it shows ClockworkMod version 2.0.2.4.

Is it possible to have more than one recoveries installed? If so, how can I select to use RA instead of Clockwork?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Something might be wrong with your rom manager installation and/or recovery installation, this seems a little weird that rom manager will see one but you actually have another one. I'd wipe all the rom manager data and un-install it.

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Something might be wrong with your rom manager installation and/or recovery installation, this seems a little weird that rom manager will see one but you actually have another one. I'd wipe all the rom manager data and un-install it.

I deleted ROM Manager and its data, and reinstalled it from the Market. No difference.

How can I manually delete the ClockworkMod recovery and replace it with a different version without using ROM Manager?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: So I finally got my phone all updated (with root), everything - newest OTA, Wimax, Radio, PRL.

Here's what happened:
I found this set of instructions for applying the new OTA 3.29.651.5 and re-rooting. After I did step one, I was NOT able to do step 2. For some reason, the bootloader does not ask me to install the Clockworkmod Recovery (PC36IMG.ZIP) that I copied on the SDcard. It kept saying "image not found" and just brings me back to the hboot menu. At this point, I wasnt able to do anything with the phone. Booting into recovery gave me the red "!" screen. Rebooting normally just brings me to hboot menu. It doesn't go into Android (which i thought i had just installed in step 1). Anyway, after spending a good hour googling and figuring out what to do, I followed a dif set of instructions and renamed the OTA update file to Update.zip. Then I selected the "sdcard:Update.zip" option to re-do step 1. After that, I found the actual 2.5.0.1 clockworkmod recovery img file here, and used the Unrevoked3 method to flash the img as a custom recovery. This process automatically took care of the rest of the rooting process and restored superuser privileges. I'm still not sure why the original instructions did not work for me...
But anyway, WHEW!

So now I'm running the rooted, stock Froyo 2.2 with the OTA 3.29.651.5. All my data/apps remained safe. I tested the Wifi Tether for Root, and was able to connect and use it. So I'm going to call it a success for now.

BTW, when I boot into recovery (manually or from ROM Manager), it now shows that I have Clockworkmod 2.5.0.1.

Thanks for all your suggestions/advices and for trying to help.

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Just as long as you got it up and running, you can install a recovery through fastboot or adb as well.

fastboot:
Copy recovery-RA-evo-v1.8.0.img to a location where fastboot can find it.
Boot your phone into fastboot mode
fastboot devices(press enter) (to make sure that fastboot "sees" your phone)
fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-evo-v1.8.0.img(press enter)

adb:
Copy recovery-RA-evo-v1.8.0.img to the root of your sdcard
start the terminal app or launch adb
su(press enter)
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-evo-v1.8.0.img(press enter)
reboot recovery(press enter)

from: [Recovery] [28-August-2010] RA-evo-v1.8.0 - xda-developers (RA thread)

I'm glad you're back and up and running, when you get in to rooting and modding your phone it's a good idea to get a little familiar with working in the shell, it can save your life man!

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Another update

Ok, everything still runs fine on my phone, except i now notice that the battery drains FAST. Does Froyo 2.2 or the newest OTA update have any new settings/apps that I need to configure to stop this drainage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge