Help me finish up please/thanks

jtiis

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've been working through a few processes and think I've done OK so far - but need advice to finish. Help me out guys in the know...

What I've done:

1. Used LiquidJesus' guide (here http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...34-how-rooting-htc-evo-froyo-2-2-windows.html) and did steps 1-12 successfully (I think it was successful)

2. Then followed this guide The easiest 1.47.651.1 root+nand unlock you'll ever see without a gui (Updated) - xda-developers - through Step.2 (i.e., step 2 is done)

3. It seems to me Step 3 is now where I add the rom of my choice... Is this correct? Or... do I do step 3 and THEN install a rom?

MY WISH IS TO:

Instal Myn's TwopointTwo Warm Rom (from here [ROM] Myn’s Warm TwoPointTwo - [RLS 1 - 09/27/2010] -An Enlightening Experience *NEW* - xda-developers)

What I don't know is:

1) Do I still need to do what Netarchy suggests AFTER step 3 on this quide (The easiest 1.47.651.1 root+nand unlock you'll ever see without a gui (Updated) - xda-developers) and bring my software and radios up to date? And if so, when should I do that - b4 or after step 3 and installing Myns' rom? I've not read the "Whitlack's Starting Over Method" he references but I'm guess I can figure out how to do it if someone will let me know if I still need to do this.

AND finally

2) running Myn's rom I'd like to use the King's #9 Kernel and stock fonts he links here ([ROM] Myn’s Warm TwoPointTwo - [RLS 1 - 09/27/2010] -An Enlightening Experience *NEW* - xda-developers) but HAVE NO IDEA WHAT STEPS TO TAKE TO INSTALL:

- the myn's rom itself
- King's Kernel
- the stock fonts

I know there's a lot of Qs here - but guys I'm diving in (or to put it more correctly I've done dove in)... and need this advice to get "home"

TIA from a big time noob that can follow instructions pretty well but has no idea what he's doin'.... cheers

Cubanjinx

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
First off let me say WOW. Just wow. Thank you for being the perfect noob really. A lot of ppl will agree.

1. Yes. You need to do step 3. This is your recovery image which will allow you to flash zips(roms) from your sd...among other things.

2. No. You don't need to do the starting over method. BUT..I do recommend going here and downloading the combo pack and flashing before you flash the rom. Your process should be
Radios- reboot
Wipe
Rom- reboot
Kernel

3. Here's a bunch more steps for you to install the rom
First make a nandroid backup- you're going to want to ALWAYS do this when altering your system. This will allow you to have a known working backup of your phone should you ever mess something up (unless you backup something that already has a prob :p) to do this
Power off your phone
Power it on while holding the power and vol down
select recovery using vol down to navigate and power to select
*Select backup>nandroid
now for the RADIOS (remember the order I told you earlier) this will also be done from your recovery menu
*Go to partition and wipe your cache
Go back to your main recovery menu
Select flash zip from sd
find the radios zip you downloaded
After the flash reboot

You will use that same process for the rom only adding the wipe phone/factory reset as well. Remember to reboot after flashing

For the kernel is the same as the radios. Clear cache and flash.

For adding the font you don't need to wipe anything, just flash the zip from sd and your new font will show up after the reboot.

Whew!
I hope this all makes sense, im still in awe and amazed/impressed with you as a "noob" I kinda think you were sent by phil or cory as a spy to see wat kind of response you would get like you're our mystery shopper :p
So I hope this helps. Let us know if you need anymore help. I know I will be willing to help you anytime that I can.
Take notes on how to be a noob from this guy. (Now accepting cosigners)

(*these lines are not promised to be right. Im running amon ra recovery so im going off my memory of clockwork. They should be close to the actual menu)

Via TT

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You didn't need to go to the second guide at all, use simple root and click extras, it will flash a custom recovery for you, the sticky here plus simple root is all you need.

Then your all set to flash myn our anything else you want.

Simple root unlocks nand, flashes eng bootloader, and custom recovery in extras. It's awesome.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You didn't need to go to the second guide at all, use simple root and click extras, it will flash a custom recovery for you, the sticky here plus simple root is all you need.

Then your all set to flash myn our anything else you want.

Simple root unlocks nand, flashes eng bootloader, and custom recovery in extras. It's awesome.

Personally I think it's fun and maybe a little more educational to go the "long" way to get full root.

jtiis

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Cubanjinx/Igotsanevo4g/thefredelement (and others too of course) ... it's all be very helpful.

But, don't give me too much credit as a noob... my knowledge now is like the anthropologist visiting a tribe

... everyone says "Wabawaba" when entering building X... so, I do it too... why?... I have no idea... is it keeping me fertile?... is it to increase the size of the crops... or is it to make fun of visiting anthropolgists... I have no idea... you do it I do it...

it's really mimicking more than knowing something or figuring it out... like I said, I'm just a reader... but, with time IF I keep it up some things will start to click... but I'd have to keep doing this time after time for that...

basically, I want to have WIFI tether and maybe a few other things but that's about it... so I don't expect to do this enough to really get it in my head... so... having said that, I've needed some patient people here to help me have models of mimickery... so thanks.

I did my step 3 (on LJ's guide)... installed Myn's warm... but couldn't make too much sense of flashing/pushing/clockworking of stuff until I'd gotten that far... still don't know it much - but I do have these questions now...

1. Is there any diff between adb commanding a recovery mode and just doing so by powering off, powering on with vol control and going from there?
2. Is it OK to flash the radios AFTER Myn's rom? I did that already so I'd be doing the radio, then the kernel and then the fonts
3. Talkin' 'bout the radios... when I look at the file in the extracter I see the combo pack has a folder and then one file external to that folder... but I shouldn't mess with that (i.e. extract) right? - I should just move the zip to the SD and flash it from recovery after a cache partition wipe?
4. Finally, when I do a nandroid backup are these saved to my SD under unique names each time. i.e., I did one right after my root while on stock 2.1update1... then I just did one with Myn's installed... so, what now? Do I have two backup versions on my SD... if so, then should I dump Myn's and revert to stock 2.1update1... install the radios... then Myn's, then kernel, then fonts... or, did Myn's backup overwrite the 2.1update1 backup? ... just don't know what's goin on behind the scenes...

TIA

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
1. Is there any diff between adb commanding a recovery mode and just doing so by powering off, powering on with vol control and going from there?

- Yes if you're talking about fastboot, someone with more exp. should answer this more "fully" though.

2. Is it OK to flash the radios AFTER Myn's rom? I did that already so I'd be doing the radio, then the kernel and then the fonts

- For sure, You can flash radios before or after, the radios are separate.

3. Talkin' 'bout the radios... when I look at the file in the extracter I see the combo pack has a folder and then one file external to that folder... but I shouldn't mess with that (i.e. extract) right? - I should just move the zip to the SD and flash it from recovery after a cache partition wipe?

- You should flash it without messing with the zip, you don't need to do a wipe before a radio zip, you can just flash away and you will be prompted to reboot to complete.

4. Finally, when I do a nandroid backup are these saved to my SD under unique names each time. i.e., I did one right after my root while on stock 2.1update1... then I just did one with Myn's installed... so, what now? Do I have two backup versions on my SD... if so, then should I dump Myn's and revert to stock 2.1update1... install the radios... then Myn's, then kernel, then fonts... or, did Myn's backup overwrite the 2.1update1 backup? ... just don't know what's goin on behind the scenes...

--there's a directory on your sd card, if you use clockwork, it's under clockworkmod\backups, you can access them and manage them via rom manager also. None of them get over-ridden and feel free to keep as many as you like. You don't need to re-flash anything to update the radios because that happens outside of the ROM.

TIA --yw

edit: Just as an example I keep a "working" version of a few Nandroids (CM6, CM6 with Snap and AC2.6), this way I can easily switch between them when I feel like it. To me, it's part of the fun but YMMV and it's a good idea to keep a current good working Nandroid even if you don't switch around, this way if you go back for some reason you don't have to spend a lot of time updating apps and things aren't too "foreign".