Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    paradroid's Avatar
    1%er

    Posts
    190 Posts

    Default Installing ROM Questions

    Using my ROM manager premium I tried to install CyanogenMod. At the end of the process I got a failure message to email to Cyanongen. The phone rebooted and instead of a new mod, I was at the "out of the box" version of HTC EVO.

    All my installed apps and settings were gone. Fortunately, I did a nandroid backup and figured out how to restore it and I am back to where I started.

    I am not sure why the mod failed but after reading around here a bit someone mentioned try a new Cockworkmod recovery flash. So I did this and am ready to try to install a cyanogen mod again. I could try a different one, but Cyanogen sounds like it is the best one out there.

    Anyway, my trouble got me to thinking. When I install a new ROM do I lose all my phone settings and downloaded apps, or did I lose everything because the ROM install failed?

    This is not a huge deal, because I have had the phone for only a month, but if I will be basically at the start again, I need to make sure I try the rom install when I have time to set everything back up and won't be needing the phone.
  2. #2  
    d3xn2o's Avatar

    Posts
    2,252 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paradroid View Post
    Using my ROM manager premium I tried to install CyanogenMod. At the end of the process I got a failure message to email to Cyanongen. The phone rebooted and instead of a new mod, I was at the "out of the box" version of HTC EVO.

    All my installed apps and settings were gone. Fortunately, I did a nandroid backup and figured out how to restore it and I am back to where I started.

    I am not sure why the mod failed but after reading around here a bit someone mentioned try a new Cockworkmod recovery flash. So I did this and am ready to try to install a cyanogen mod again. I could try a different one, but Cyanogen sounds like it is the best one out there.

    Anyway, my trouble got me to thinking. When I install a new ROM do I lose all my phone settings and downloaded apps, or did I lose everything because the ROM install failed?

    This is not a huge deal, because I have had the phone for only a month, but if I will be basically at the start again, I need to make sure I try the rom install when I have time to set everything back up and won't be needing the phone.
    Which HBoot do you have?

    Which Root Method did you use?
    Arrogant Linux Elitist
  3. #3  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    Every time you install a new rom you must WIPE (all data/apps everything gone) and then flash, soooo... Yeah,
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  4. #4  

    Default

    I also tried installing (my first time flashing a ROM, or anything for that matter) WJD's Black Droid X Keyboard. I used Titanium Backup as well as backed up my existing ROM using ROM Manager...and got stuck on the "M" boot image. I was able to go back and reload (because I read and listened) and I'm OK. But I don't know if I did something wrong or what. Am I making this too difficult? Yes, I'm a NOOB. But I'm trying and I'm reading...but I'm not sure what I did wrong to cause it to get stuck on my first try using ROM Manager. I'm hesitant now to try and flash or change anything. I'm sure I left some details out here, but if some experienced Android Central gurus would help, it would be appreciated to learn and teach in the future.
  5. #5  

    Default

    I'm not sure which root method you used, but I used unrevoked and for some reason CM6 was not playing nice with Rom Manager regardless of what I tried so I used this method and it worked like a charm. Sync your apps with app brain and/or titanium and it's easy to get the stuff back up and running.

    http://forum.androidcentral.com/hack...king-pros.html
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    paradroid's Avatar
    1%er

    Posts
    190 Posts

    Default

    My HBoot is 0.97.0000

    I rooted with unrevoked3 to root phone.

    I'll take a look at app brain and titanium and see what they save. Apps are easy to get back, it is contacts I set up, sms threats type stuff that I hate to lose.

    So If I understand correctly, if I install Cyanongen and next week there is a Cyanongen upgrade, I basically wipe the phone again to upgrade or will at least the settings from the previous version of Cyanongen still be there?
  7. #7  
    d3xn2o's Avatar

    Posts
    2,252 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paradroid View Post
    My HBoot is 0.97.0000

    I rooted with unrevoked3 to root phone.

    I'll take a look at app brain and titanium and see what they save. Apps are easy to get back, it is contacts I set up, sms threats type stuff that I hate to lose.

    So If I understand correctly, if I install Cyanongen and next week there is a Cyanongen upgrade, I basically wipe the phone again to upgrade or will at least the settings from the previous version of Cyanongen still be there?
    K well thats your problem... you used Unrevoked...


    You need Eng-Hboot 0.76.2000 to flash CM6

    Refer to Liquid Jesus' Thread in the sticky section for proper rooting instructions
    Arrogant Linux Elitist
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    paradroid's Avatar
    1%er

    Posts
    190 Posts

    Default

    I google search brought me to a few methods to get Eng-Hboot 0.76.2000 on the phone. It seems all have the potential for some issues. What method is best to change my hboot version? If you have a link that would at least point me in the right direction that would be great.

    Or maybe it would be best to try a different ROM where HBOOT version is not a big deal.
  9. #9  
    d3xn2o's Avatar

    Posts
    2,252 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paradroid View Post
    I google search brought me to a few methods to get Eng-Hboot 0.76.2000 on the phone. It seems all have the potential for some issues. What method is best to change my hboot version? If you have a link that would at least point me in the right direction that would be great.

    Or maybe it would be best to try a different ROM where HBOOT version is not a big deal.


    -____- STICKY

    Read that thread... If you follow his directions at rooting you will be fine...


    This is why I hate Unrevoked... just go back and do it right before you run into other issues...

    I dont mean to be a ****** but I did tell you to look at the stickies and you googles... Just sayin'
    Arrogant Linux Elitist
  10. #10  

    Default

    im not sure way you guys always bash on unrevoked, I used it and have no trouble with the roms I want to use. You would think that there would be some sort of code for developers not to bash each other and maybe just respect each others work. I dont care either way but I would talk s@#t about another developer. Just my 2 cents.
    HTC EVO 4G
    Vaelpak 3.0 Remastered
    Netarchy-4.1.9,1-SBC
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    paradroid's Avatar
    1%er

    Posts
    190 Posts

    Default

    I did not use that sticky and used unrevoked because the fewer steps the better for me.

    Using the info from this thread I flashed Eng-Hboot 0.76.2000, cm6 and Google apps and am now trying to restore as much as possible with appbrain resync.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmac3 View Post
    im not sure way you guys always bash on unrevoked, I used it and have no trouble with the roms I want to use. You would think that there would be some sort of code for developers not to bash each other and maybe just respect each others work. I dont care either way but I would talk s@#t about another developer. Just my 2 cents.
    There's a lot of reasons why people hate unrevoked. For one the amount of people that have issues. I'm glad you haven't had issues. But that doesn't negate the people that have had issues. My friends Camry drives great... Doesn't negate the thousands of Camry owners that had run-a-way cars. As far as the developers giving them love, not a chance. If the unrevoked method was open, they would have SO much credibility. But above that, it would make it incredibly easier to help people out that have issues after using unrevoked. But because they protect their method as if they have some crazy nuclear secrets or they have the truth about the Kennedy assassination it's extremely hard to help people and they also have zero credibility because of it. I'm not even gonna bring up unrevoked forever... THAT is just a disgrace. How they released that is beyond me..
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paradroid View Post
    I did not use that sticky and used unrevoked because the fewer steps the better for me.

    Using the info from this thread I flashed Eng-Hboot 0.76.2000, cm6 and Google apps and am now trying to restore as much as possible with appbrain resync.
    the right way > the easy way. Taking the easy way out of things isn't always the best way to do thing. It's like people I've seen over the years slap a 200 shot of nitrous on their stock engine then ***** that their motor blew up. Ya it worked for the moment and ya it was some easy and cheap power.. doesn't mean it was the smart or right thing to do..
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  14. #14  

    Default

    Thats my bad jerzy i didnt know that they werent a open source.I see your point about you not being able to help people because they bibe no info.I read alot of this fourm and you guys no your stuff. That's why I enjoy making statements and not getting flamed hard. I appreciate all you guys do and how you all share the knowledge. Thanks for Everything.

Posting Permissions

B