How to flash a ROM and kernel on your HTC Evo

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So I decided to make a video guide showing the process of flashing a ROM including what you have to do before you flash (backup contacts, Nandroid backup) as well as how to do a Nand restore just in case things didn't go smooth or you simply don't like the ROM you flashed. The main reason I did this was because I've been helping truslide out the last few days. He used unrevoked and surprise surprise, had some issues. Well he ended up going back to stock and used the sticky here in the hacks section. I offered to make a video of how to flash a ROM because sometimes it's just easier to actually see what to do instead of just reading what to do. Figured I'd post it up here. Might help some other people out... Two of my friends actually used this video to flash ROMs on their Evo for the first time. They said it was good directions so hopefully some people find use of it.. So anyway, here it is...

YouTube - How to flash a ROM and kernel on your HTC Evo 4G

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate all the info that is given. After watching your video multiple times (plus others cause I like diversity) and reading all I could I finally flashed my first custom Rom and kernel. Thanks

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Nice video noob... I enjoyed the nomin' lol.....

Thx for the shout outs...

This might be sticky worthy in my opinion

Ksmith where you at?!

Sent from my uber haxor EVO...

floob

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i don't know if this is the right place to ask.. but i couldn't really find what the kernel actually does/is.. from my understanding, putting a differnet kernel on can allow you to overclock.. but i'm not exactly sure.. so what exactly can we do with new kernels?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The kernel is basically what connects the OS to the hardware. The ROM plays a big part in speed and batteyr life, but the kernel plays a slightly bigger role. The kernel is in fact what allows you to o/c. But be careful when using an app like SetPCU. Things can get really hairy if you don't read up on it. So I'd suggest doing some research on kernels and overclocking before doing either. There's a bunch of threads on that in the hacks section. We're always willing to help!

floob

May 18, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the quick reply!
I was thinkin bout flashing king's kernel.. theres a BFS#10 and CFS#11, what's the diff between bfs and cfs?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It's kind of hard to explain what the differences are... Here's an article that explains it.

BFS vs CFS

A LOT of people have had horrible experiences with BFS10, myself included. I personally haven't tried CFS11, but I've heard it's ok. KIngs BFS 8 seems to be flawless across the board for speed stability and battery life and works great for practically everyone. I actually haven't heard of anyone that had a problem with it. BFS 9 is iffy. My experience was HORRIBLE. Not as bad as 10, but absolutely horrible. But for some it works great. There's also other kernels out there too. I'm using the netarchy-toadmod 4.1.9.1 kernel and so far so good. Go to Ultimate Kernel Comparison and you'll get some good info on kernels.
There's also http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-roms-hacks/39961-kernel-comparison.html you can check out people's personal experience as they test them.

floob

May 18, 2010
Visit site
awesome! i guess i was just looking for something to help with battery life... without using setcpu...not too worried about overclocking for performance here.. any other recommendations other than kings8? the netarchy is also HAVS right?

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
great write up, but it failed me in the kernel dept.

i tried to flash a kernel after flashing myn, like your write up says and my phone sticks on the htc evo screen, never leaves it.

so where is it gone wrong?

when and how do u flash a kernel?

i used the one u recommended.
Revision 4.1.9.1-BFS

Last edited:

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
after some searching, it seems many people are having this problem with 4.1.9.1...

i dont really know what to do.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Try this one...
kernels

Try the 4.1.9 havs. I'm running this and I was able to OC my Evo at 1267. Quadrant was 1735 or something like that...

Did you do a dalvik cache and cache partition wipe? You don't have to do a data wipe, only the cache.

If it fails take the battery out, boot into recovery, wipe caches and try to reflash. Don't reboot between wipe and flash.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Try this one...
kernels

Try the 4.1.9 havs. I'm running this and I was able to OC my Evo at 1267. Quadrant was 1735 or something like that...

Did you do a dalvik cache and cache partition wipe? You don't have to do a data wipe, only the cache.

If it fails take the battery out, boot into recovery, wipe caches and try to reflash. Don't reboot between wipe and flash.

tried,

same thing happens, a boot loop, now i dont know what to do, how do i get back to the old kernel that came with myn? i take it now i have to reload a rom? this whole kernel thing is a joke, i dont understand what the problem is wiith 4.1.9, but both of them arent working for me.

im following the directions and its not working, now im stuck and i probably have to wipe everything all over again just get get back to step 1.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
tried,

same thing happens, a boot loop, now i dont know what to do, how do i get back to the old kernel that came with myn? i take it now i have to reload a rom? this whole kernel thing is a joke, i dont understand what the problem is wiith 4.1.9, but both of them arent working for me.

im following the directions and its not working, now im stuck and i probably have to wipe everything all over again just get get back to step 1.

Simply flash the ROM right over itsself. Remember ... ROM's come with built in kernels ;)

Wipe dalvik, wipe cache, flash the ROM. You havent lost any data, any contacts, and texts, and your back to original kernel with ROM

Reactions: intheb0x