Just had a guy root my phone. Did I make a huge mistake?

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone -

It's the newbie again! I appreciate all of the previous help and have another question for the group.
I'm not very computer savvy so I had a guy I got hooked up with over Craigslist root my Evo the other day. Today he told me he's moving away...so "good luck with the phone". He was supposed to provide ongoing support.

He installed uncommon-evo v.01.

So, now I have an Evo and am stuck with this rooted rom thing and nervous about what happens if 1) Sprint sends and update, 2)HTC sends an update, or 3) a new version or update to Android OS comes out. Am I pretty much stuck/screwed at this point.

Also, there's apps on there that don't work but the system doesn't let me remove them. (like hulu) and he's not helping.

I've tried to read up on how to do this but am both scared to mess something up and also don't quite get what to do and how to do it.

Should I take it to sprint and have them reset it to factory? Perhaps run it over with the car and send it in under the warranty?

Maybe I'm just a bit in panic mode. If anyone has any advice,suggestions, or answers to my questions I'd be forever grateful. This guy is a programmer and he told me it took weeks before he knew how to root a phone and now i'm on my own. Help me android forums, you're my only hope.

Thanks!

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
its all a cake walk from here..

you should download and flash another rom,

if HTC or sprint tells your phone to update DO NOT UPDATE, it could make you possibly lose your root forever.

if you go to sprint and they find out your rooted, your warranty is void.

its VERY EASY to return it to stock, just flash the stock rom.

you need to tell us what you really want out of your phone, do you like it stock and just want the ability to remove sprint bloat ware or what?

dont panic, its all pretty easy from here.
what do you really want to do with your phone?

ppl root for more options other then stock, if you like your phone stock and dont really mess with it then rooting isnt really for you...

tell us what you want to do?

also if you like uncommon, they have a new version out.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=807263

do you know how to get into recovery or anything like that?

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
That was gutsy trusting a stranger on Craigslist to root your phone.. but there is tons of information on this site and others (like XDA) on how to root with FAQs.. so good luck.

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I wanted to root to have increased speed and increased battery life. He added a wifi tethering to the phone but I really don't need that. Ultimately, I just wanted to remove the things that are hogging the battery.

He said he backed up my phone to the SD card before he rooted it but at this point I think it's best to go back to the stock factory rom. Is the link above pretty foolproof? I'd hate to destroy the phone I've had for less than a week. Voiding the warranty freaks me out too!

Rooting was fun but I'm too much of a computer lightweight to have the guts to do this...I think.

I'll follow the "unrooting" steps. Cross your fingers!!

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I wanted to root to have increased speed and increased battery life. He added a wifi tethering to the phone but I really don't need that. Ultimately, I just wanted to remove the things that are hogging the battery.

He said he backed up my phone to the SD card before he rooted it but at this point I think it's best to go back to the stock factory rom. Is the link above pretty foolproof? I'd hate to destroy the phone I've had for less than a week. Voiding the warranty freaks me out too!

Rooting was fun but I'm too much of a computer lightweight to have the guts to do this...I think.

I'll follow the "unrooting" steps. Cross your fingers!!

To unroot its very easy just follow the steps liquid write up was great I used it once but love having a rooted phone

sent from my HTC Evo using tapatalk

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Tried to follow the steps, stuck already

PLEASE help. I followed the steps. Debugging is enabled on my phone. I hold up the volume rocker and oiwer on. Instead of skateboarding androids, I get a black screen and my Windows XP PC says it's trying to install "qualcomm cdma technologies MSM" but is unsuccessful as it can't find the drivers. I did a search on the forums but found no reference to this. Please help me get these drivers up so I can get this phone back and running. thanks!

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
PLEASE help. I followed the steps. Debugging is enabled on my phone. I hold up the volume rocker and oiwer on. Instead of skateboarding androids, I get a black screen and my Windows XP PC says it's trying to install "qualcomm cdma technologies MSM" but is unsuccessful as it can't find the drivers. I did a search on the forums but found no reference to this. Please help me get these drivers up so I can get this phone back and running. thanks!

Did u Dowload HTC sync before going to unroot?

sent from my HTC Evo using tapatalk

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I definitely did.
I had a different version. I uninstalled it and installed this one.
When I launch sync and hook up the phone, it finds it and they communicate just fine.

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just uninstalled and reinstalled but get the same error. It's that one driver that's blocking this process. It doesn't appear to be installed when the HTC program is installed on my PC.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This isn't the first time someone has had trouble with the unrooting, just because of that one instruction. Perhaps we should have a mod change it?

Just PM LJ and let him know. I'm sure he has no idea otherwise he would have changed it.

I don't want to get in the habit of modifying peoples posts unless they are breaking a rule. If you let him know and It's not changed in a couple days just PM me and I'll do it :)

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just PM LJ and let him know. I'm sure he has no idea otherwise he would have changed it.

I don't want to get in the habit of modifying peoples posts unless they are breaking a rule. If you let him know and It's not changed in a couple days just PM me and I'll do it :)

No one has pm'd me about it yet. But i'll change it.

Should read hold both volume rockers yea?

PS: you guys should know that you dont have to do that step, However from personal experience i have found that it helps.

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Team - I've tried to get beyond the step where the program finds my phone via usb but no luck, I've tried 30+ times and it just won't connect to my phone. Good news is that pushing volume rocker down did work to get me to the skating android logos. Not sure what to do next. Ugh!

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Team - I've tried to get beyond the step where the program finds my phone via usb but no luck, I've tried 30+ times and it just won't connect to my phone. Good news is that pushing volume rocker down did work to get me to the skating android logos. Not sure what to do next. Ugh!

what kind of error is it giving you?

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It's the error screen below step 8. Error 170 USB connection error. The rom utility update cannont connect to your android phone.... Please check that the USB cable is connected....

However.... When I select "recovery" from the white screen on the phone, the one with the skateboarding androids, the RUU pops right up on the computer and the phone goes to the HTC screen with the green text. Am I safe to proceed? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2