Rooted! What now...?

rizorith

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed there are a ton of posts and faq's and stickies on how to root and solve the corresponding problems. But once we've rooted, there really isn't any particular post to find the next steps. I've done a lot of searches on this website and others and still have some questions that I think can help others in a similar situation.

In my case, I used unrevoked, then did a full nandroid backup (at least I hope I did) using ROM Manager and then backed everything else up using titanium pro before flashing (with rom manager) to baked snack.

Anyways, I'm going to throw out some questions because there are still a lot of things many of us are unsure about. I know some of these are searchable but it would be nice to have it all in one place.

After root:

1. What are the "must do" steps? I know about a nandroid backup but I've also read something about updating the radio settings for good reception. How does one go about this and is it really needed?

2. What is the best way to flash a rom?

3. When flashing a rom, is it generally a bad idea to re-install the settings and data from your stock rom or should we re-do everything?

4. What are the advantages of different kernels? When I installed baked snack there was an option install 3, 4, 5 or 6. Their website doesn't really detail the differences but I gather some overclock and underclock.

5. Once we're rooted, what can we update and what things should we stay away from? I know we can't update to 2.3 or 2.4 because it will break root (wait for your rom to update) but can we (or should we) update the PRL or any other settings?

By the way, I think it would be great if someone did a sticky/faq on this. I'm certainly not qualified but it would be useful as a sort of "part 2" to rooting.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I seggest downloading Rom manger from the market and pick a stable rom from there to flash, wipe first.

You cannot save settings or anything from Rom to Rom, sync your apps to app brain and be done with it.

Under/over clocking are available on all kernels except the stock HTC one only allows underclocking. Use SetCPU, a paid app on the market to control it. Its worth the couple bucks.

Theres only 1 way to flash a rom, through recovery. How you get to recovery and flash is up to you. You can do it manually (Vol down + power then hit recovery) or automated (through rom manager). Both are equally as good, unless you need to do other things in recovery before booting, then do it manually.

The radios can be found here.

[ Radios ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI & NV versions - xda-developers

Download the combo pack and flash.

---

Youre on your own now guy.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You should just never download an OTA update from Sprint/HTC once you're rooted.

You can use Titanium Backup to restore apps with data, but I only do this for a few apps, what other settings are you talking about? Like home screen layouts and stuff? - I would re-create those. (It's a pain, I use a lot of folders but only really takes about 10 minutes, I make all my folders, then go to the app drawer and long press the app icon and drag it to the folder where it lives. I even use ShootMe to remember some stuff if I have a "sweet" setup).

Different kernels can offer a lot of different things, the latest stock HTC kernel unlocks FPS "their" way (which I think is the best so far), others add what was mentioned above and still others often speed boost. Some even alter network settings, etc. It's hard to give a brief answer but you'll know when you're ready, when you have a ROM you like it and tweaked it and want a little extra, then you're ready to start flashing some kernels, just create a nand backup and then go to town.

rizorith

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I seggest downloading Rom manger from the market and pick a stable rom from there to flash, wipe first.

You cannot save settings or anything from Rom to Rom, sync your apps to app brain and be done with it.

Under/over clocking are available on all kernels except the stock HTC one only allows underclocking. Use SetCPU, a paid app on the market to control it. Its worth the couple bucks.

Theres only 1 way to flash a rom, through recovery. How you get to recovery and flash is up to you. You can do it manually (Vol down + power then hit recovery) or automated (through rom manager). Both are equally as good, unless you need to do other things in recovery before booting, then do it manually.

The radios can be found here.

[ Radios ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI & NV versions - xda-developers

Download the combo pack and flash.

---

Youre on your own now guy.

Thanks for the information. Most of this I already know, I was just hoping to get a thread where it could all be put together. One thing that isn't obvious is how to "flash the radios" and how often is it needed. Do I do it every time I put a new rom on?

When I put Baked Snack 1.8 on my phone I restored all apps and data from the stock rom. It populated the icons and everything and I thought maybe I should have put less on, so to speak. Is it best to just do the apps/data when there is something I know I'll have to save (like game progress) and download the rest? I already synch with appbrain so that isn't a problem.

On the theme of baked snack 1.8, I'm really a bit confused as to what it brings to the table. I do think my battery life is a bit better but it also seems to run laggier than stock 2.2, which surprised me because the notes say that it's overclocked. For instance, when i look through my apps there is a obvious lag when they first scroll and this was not present in 2.2. I think I have kernel 6 (whatever is stock with baked snack 1.8).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae