PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I have been searching the forums for the last hour and I can't find this so maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I have been rooted for a few weeks on my EVO and have loaded the leaked versions of the stock rom.

Now I'm getting a little more adventurous and wanted to start playing with custom roms. Is there any kind of guide that lists the major ROM players and what they offer? I see about 10 different ROMS and don't even know where to start. I want all the basic features of the EVO to work, like 4G, camera and all that stuff. Really would like better battery life but they all seem to offer that.

Lastly, when I make my Titanium Backup what batch process would I choose to back it up? I usually use the backup all apps and system data but I don't know if that will restore the HTC Sense files I don't need.

Appreciate any help you guys can provide.

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't know of a ROM guide. Usually the best place to look is the "EVO 4G Android Development" on XDA.

EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

All the big player's have threads there about their ROM's. Usually they're on the first or second page because they're pretty active.

As far as Titanium I'm not sure. I've used it to back up but haven't restored with it. I did a full NAND backup of my system before I flashed a new ROM and just installed the apps I needed from scratch.

I'm currently using VaelPak 2.0 and really like it.

I think it's a good start because it's solid and has options for Sense apps and AOSP apps depending on which you like.

There are a lot of other great ones out there. I've been meaning to try some new ones but my phone is so solid I haven't bothered.

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't know of a ROM guide. Usually the best place to look is the "EVO 4G Android Development" on XDA.

EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

All the big player's have threads there about their ROM's. Usually they're on the first or second page because they're pretty active.

As far as Titanium I'm not sure. I've used it to back up but haven't restored with it. I did a full NAND backup of my system before I flashed a new ROM and just installed the apps I needed from scratch.

I'm currently using VaelPak 2.0 and really like it.

I think it's a good start because it's solid and has options for Sense apps and AOSP apps depending on which you like.

There are a lot of other great ones out there. I've been meaning to try some new ones but my phone is so solid I haven't bothered.

Thanks. I will have to check out XDA.

Yeah see I have never heard of VaelPak. Someone with A LOT of extra time on there hands should put together a guide. HAHA

jten9

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I like the Sense roms and some of the popular ones that I use include baked snack, fresh, and warm twopointtwo. These are just the three that I 'play' with; there are many other good sense roms out there too.

I really like the theme by Riptide9, and after I flash the theme I honestly don't notice much of a difference between the roms (they all "look" pretty much the same when themed). I DO, however, notice significant difference with the different kernels.

Some kernels are better on battery, some are a bit more snappy. I typically spend more time trying different kernels, as opposed to different roms. That said, the developers I mentioned update their roms fairly regularly so between the three I usually have something new to try.

$.02

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Does that mean that by default it won't have all the bloatware installed? Also does that mean it will have better performance because Sense isn't installed at all?

Its waaaaay faster, no bloatware. But also no 4g our hdmi.

CyanogenMod-6.1 looks the most appealing but no 4G :(

I like my 4G

I don't even have 4g so no worries here, hdmi is around the cornor I hear.

lowetax

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
i rooted - i flashed (with clothes on) - flashed some more.
so many roms, kernels, themes, apps to choose from -
a plethora of em - i tell ya!

after spending WAY to much time with all this
(who needs drugs and alcohol with forum reading and wanting to know addiction!)
i wound up with Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo.
it has everything i want and is nice and smooth and everything works.
his RLS 3 beta starts later on tonight.

this android community is way cool -
so many good devs and people involved.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The great thing is with Titanium back up and or Appbrain you can flash with ease and be up and running in no time. Try them all out and you'll eventually find the one that best fits your needs.

For me Myn's was the prettiest rom, but CM is my favorite and I always go back to it. Due to the battery sucking power of 4g I rarely used it anyway. I've never used HDMI so that was no big loss for me.

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow this is painful. I have tried 4 ROMS now and am really not impressed. I have tried BakedSnack, FreshEvo, Damage Control, and Senseless.

What I am really looking for and these are the only points that matter to me:
1. Better Battery Life
2. 4G
3. All basic functions work (like both cameras)

Other than that I don't care about what functions it enables.

What ROMS should I try?

ejc1214

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow this is painful. I have tried 4 ROMS now and am really not impressed. I have tried BakedSnack, FreshEvo, Damage Control, and Senseless.

What I am really looking for and these are the only points that matter to me:
1. Better Battery Life
2. 4G
3. All basic functions work (like both cameras)

Other than that I don't care about what functions it enables.

What ROMS should I try?

I am running MikFroYo v3.1 and loving it. I tired two of the above and a few more and this seems to give me the best feel. You can give it a try. Everything works.
[ROM] - [10/29/2010] - MikFroYo v3.1 - [ FRG83 | 3.30.651.2 ] - It's Been Re-Done. - xda-developers

ejc1214

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Do you notice a difference in battery life?

About the same as the rest but I had not set up setcpu until tonight. Just running moderate use I got about 10 hours but I kept playing with it. I have had it on my phone for two days and really like it a lot. The developer has setcpu profiles set in the ROM but I did not take advantage of it. All I can tell you is that battery wise it is the same or slightly better than the other ROMS that I have had on my EVO but it runs flawlessly on my phone. Give it a shot for a few days got nothing to lose....

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
AC ROM has everything you're looking for. So does vaelpak. You might also want to look into different kernels, too. They can make a huge difference with battery life. Netarchy's kernels are known for excellent battery life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz