Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default ROM Guide

    Ok so I have been searching the forums for the last hour and I can't find this so maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I have been rooted for a few weeks on my EVO and have loaded the leaked versions of the stock rom.

    Now I'm getting a little more adventurous and wanted to start playing with custom roms. Is there any kind of guide that lists the major ROM players and what they offer? I see about 10 different ROMS and don't even know where to start. I want all the basic features of the EVO to work, like 4G, camera and all that stuff. Really would like better battery life but they all seem to offer that.

    Lastly, when I make my Titanium Backup what batch process would I choose to back it up? I usually use the backup all apps and system data but I don't know if that will restore the HTC Sense files I don't need.

    Appreciate any help you guys can provide.
  2. #2  
    bjordan's Avatar

    Posts
    292 Posts
    ROM
    Evo: CM7

    Default

    I don't know of a ROM guide. Usually the best place to look is the "EVO 4G Android Development" on XDA.



    All the big player's have threads there about their ROMs. Usually they're on the first or second page because they're pretty active.

    As far as Titanium I'm not sure. I've used it to back up but haven't restored with it. I did a full NAND backup of my system before I flashed a new ROM and just installed the apps I needed from scratch.

    I'm currently using VaelPak 2.0 and really like it.

    I think it's a good start because it's solid and has options for Sense apps and AOSP apps depending on which you like.

    There are a lot of other great ones out there. I've been meaning to try some new ones but my phone is so solid I haven't bothered.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bjordan View Post
    I don't know of a ROM guide. Usually the best place to look is the "EVO 4G Android Development" on XDA.



    All the big player's have threads there about their ROMs. Usually they're on the first or second page because they're pretty active.

    As far as Titanium I'm not sure. I've used it to back up but haven't restored with it. I did a full NAND backup of my system before I flashed a new ROM and just installed the apps I needed from scratch.

    I'm currently using VaelPak 2.0 and really like it.

    I think it's a good start because it's solid and has options for Sense apps and AOSP apps depending on which you like.

    There are a lot of other great ones out there. I've been meaning to try some new ones but my phone is so solid I haven't bothered.
    Thanks. I will have to check out XDA.

    Yeah see I have never heard of VaelPak. Someone with A LOT of extra time on there hands should put together a guide. HAHA
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    This may be a stupid question but when I look at this guide:



    What does Base Rom AOSP 2.2 mean? Does that mean it's using it's own release and not the official ones released by Sprint/HTC?
  5. #5  
    2CupsWithString's Avatar
    passionately curious

    Posts
    2,812 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhreak53 View Post
    This may be a stupid question but when I look at this guide:



    What does Base Rom AOSP 2.2 mean? Does that mean it's using it's own release and not the official ones released by Sprint/HTC?
    aosp = android open source project - it's built straight from Google's code and not from htc or sprint.
  6. #6  
    jten9's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

    Default

    Personally, I like the Sense roms and some of the popular ones that I use include baked snack, fresh, and warm twopointtwo. These are just the three that I 'play' with; there are many other good sense roms out there too.

    I really like the theme by Riptide9, and after I flash the theme I honestly don't notice much of a difference between the roms (they all "look" pretty much the same when themed). I DO, however, notice significant difference with the different kernels.

    Some kernels are better on battery, some are a bit more snappy. I typically spend more time trying different kernels, as opposed to different roms. That said, the developers I mentioned update their roms fairly regularly so between the three I usually have something new to try.

    $.02
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    aosp = android open source project - it's built straight from Google's code and not from htc or sprint.
    Does that mean that by default it won't have all the bloatware installed? Also does that mean it will have better performance because Sense isn't installed at all?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    CyanogenMod-6.1 looks the most appealing but no 4G

    I like my 4G
  9. #9  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhreak53 View Post
    Does that mean that by default it won't have all the bloatware installed? Also does that mean it will have better performance because Sense isn't installed at all?
    Its waaaaay faster, no bloatware. But also no 4g our hdmi.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhreak53 View Post
    CyanogenMod-6.1 looks the most appealing but no 4G

    I like my 4G
    I don't even have 4g so no worries here, hdmi is around the cornor I hear.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  10. #10  

    Default

    i rooted - i flashed (with clothes on) - flashed some more.
    so many roms, kernels, themes, apps to choose from -
    a plethora of em - i tell ya!

    after spending WAY to much time with all this
    (who needs drugs and alcohol with forum reading and wanting to know addiction!)
    i wound up with Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo.
    it has everything i want and is nice and smooth and everything works.
    his RLS 3 beta starts later on tonight.

    this android community is way cool -
    so many good devs and people involved.
    ► HTC EVO 3D Shooter ► og HTC EVO (WiFi only)
    ► HP Touchpad ► ASUS EPad Transformer with Dock ► NOOK COLOR
  11. #11  

    Default

    The great thing is with Titanium back up and or Appbrain you can flash with ease and be up and running in no time. Try them all out and you'll eventually find the one that best fits your needs.

    For me Myn's was the prettiest rom, but CM is my favorite and I always go back to it. Due to the battery sucking power of 4g I rarely used it anyway. I've never used HDMI so that was no big loss for me.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default

    Wow this is painful. I have tried 4 ROMS now and am really not impressed. I have tried BakedSnack, FreshEvo, Damage Control, and Senseless.

    What I am really looking for and these are the only points that matter to me:
    1. Better Battery Life
    2. 4G
    3. All basic functions work (like both cameras)

    Other than that I don't care about what functions it enables.

    What ROMS should I try?
  13. #13  
    ejc1214's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhreak53 View Post
    Wow this is painful. I have tried 4 ROMS now and am really not impressed. I have tried BakedSnack, FreshEvo, Damage Control, and Senseless.

    What I am really looking for and these are the only points that matter to me:
    1. Better Battery Life
    2. 4G
    3. All basic functions work (like both cameras)

    Other than that I don't care about what functions it enables.

    What ROMS should I try?
    I am running MikFroYo v3.1 and loving it. I tired two of the above and a few more and this seems to give me the best feel. You can give it a try. Everything works.
    Rocking MikFroYo v3.1
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ejc1214 View Post
    I am running MikFroYo v3.1 and loving it. I tired two of the above and a few more and this seems to give me the best feel. You can give it a try. Everything works.
    Do you notice a difference in battery life?
  15. #15  
    ejc1214's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhreak53 View Post
    Do you notice a difference in battery life?
    About the same as the rest but I had not set up setcpu until tonight. Just running moderate use I got about 10 hours but I kept playing with it. I have had it on my phone for two days and really like it a lot. The developer has setcpu profiles set in the ROM but I did not take advantage of it. All I can tell you is that battery wise it is the same or slightly better than the other ROMS that I have had on my EVO but it runs flawlessly on my phone. Give it a shot for a few days got nothing to lose....
    Rocking MikFroYo v3.1
  16. #16  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    AC ROM has everything you're looking for. So does vaelpak. You might also want to look into different kernels, too. They can make a huge difference with battery life. Netarchy's kernels are known for excellent battery life.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  17. #17  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    Just go to myn and bee done with it.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    AC ROM has everything you're looking for. So does vaelpak. You might also want to look into different kernels, too. They can make a huge difference with battery life. Netarchy's kernels are known for excellent battery life.
    Can the kernels be installed on the base roms too?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    Just go to myn and bee done with it.
    That's what I'm using right now. Still haven't fully decided.
  20. #20  
    criffaaa1's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    ROM
    warm2.2 rls4 stock htc#17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    Just go to myn and bee done with it.
    i agree, started with warm2.2 now on rls 3 beta. imho myns byfar is the best sense rom to date
  21. #21  

    Default

    VaelPak. Can't go wrong. When the new settings app is released it'll be even better. The new settings app will allow you to download updates or patches (like kernels) and have it automatically install. No more downloading roms or kernels online, transferring to your sd card, wiping and flashing. Just tap the ROM update, kernel or whatever, tap yes.. and it'll do everything for you. It's a great feature for noobs and experts alike.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  22. #22  
    truslide's Avatar

    Posts
    561 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    go with vaelpak 2.3 and netarchy-toasted 4.1.9 havs.

    i have a whole thread on kernels and their benchmarks. netarchy has good battery life. the best probably

    remember that each kernel reacts differently with each ROM. netarchy might not work as well with myn's or CM6.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truslide View Post
    go with vaelpak 2.3 and netarchy-toasted 4.1.9 havs.

    i have a whole thread on kernels and their benchmarks. netarchy has good battery life. the best probably

    remember that each kernel reacts differently with each ROM. netarchy might not work as well with myn's or CM6.
    I've loaded VaelPack now and tried the netarchy aggressive and it kept rebooting my phone. I just loaded the less aggressive so hopefully that will make a difference.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    VaelPak. Can't go wrong. When the new settings app is released it'll be even better. The new settings app will allow you to download updates or patches (like kernels) and have it automatically install. No more downloading roms or kernels online, transferring to your sd card, wiping and flashing. Just tap the ROM update, kernel or whatever, tap yes.. and it'll do everything for you. It's a great feature for noobs and experts alike.
    Oh cool. I will have to read up on that.
  25. #25  

    Default

    Just go to VaelPak settings, Mods/Patches and just tap whatever your heart desires lol
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B