Myn's or Cyanogenmod?

anon81974

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I have an unrooted evo and I want to root it because I want better battery life, more speed since my evo lags a little, and a cleaner UI. I was looking at Myn's and CM6 and I'm kinda stuck as to which one I should choose. I really like some aspects about sense and I know that CM6 doesn't have that anymore. Which would you guys recommend and why? Also, what kernel would you recommend? Sorry for all the questions but I'm noob as far as rooting goes xD

Thanks guys :p

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I keep a nandroid backup with both of them. I like CM a lot more. I like how customizable it is and the tweaks and fun potential outweighs anything I've seen based on Sense. It is true that you have to get comfortable playing with settings. Between beautiful widgets and the full version of LucnherPro, I think everything important that SEnse does, CM does.
I keep a backup of Myn available because I live in a 4g town and want 4G access.
As for battery and kernel recommendations, I can tell you that Myn's with King's is pretty kick ass (I'm still using king'sBSF9 and haven't tried the more recent versions yet). I'm reluctant to comment much on CM because the release candidate will presumably be different than full release (SOON!). Plus, I read somewhere the the CM team is putting together a new Supersonic(i.e. Evo) specific kernel soon, anyway.

Powerusers: Feel free to correct me on any of the above.

Reactions: anon81974

Disgustoid

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Go with Myn's if you want Sense. You can always back up whatever you install and flash a different ROM later should you want to try out CM6 and other ROMs too.

Myn's is my first custom ROM and I've had no problems with it at all for the past week. Really dig the eye candy, though I did have to change the font using Type Fresh (I'm old with much less than perfect vision and some of the Myn's fonts are hard to read, particularly on web pages).

I've been testing different kernals but haven't noticed any significant improvement over the one that's included with Myn's, much to my surprise.

anon81974

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks bluger! I really appreciate your feedback. I might just try both roms out and see which one is better. If I want to revert back to rooted stock, I can just restore it with my nandroid backup right? But I highly doubt that I'll do that haha. Just a quick question...what kinda battery life are you getting with each rom?

anon81974

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Go with Myn's if you want Sense. You can always back up whatever you install and flash a different ROM later should you want to try out CM6 and other ROMs too.

Myn's is my first custom ROM and I've had no problems with it at all for the past week. Really dig the eye candy, though I did have to change the font using Type Fresh (I'm old with much less than perfect vision and some of the Myn's fonts are hard to read, particularly on web pages).

I've been testing different kernals but haven't noticed any significant improvement over the one that's included with Myn's, much to my surprise.

Cool cool, i guess i'll just have to check out both haha. Maybe I can deal without sense...but i'm not sure right now xP...I just want a good snappy rom that doesn't kill my battery life haha. But something that satisfies my nerdy side too haha...i've been away from computers and stuff so my memory is getting fuzzy xP I gotta get back in the game lol. But thanks for your input!

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is pretty subjective. What's moderate usage for me, might be heavy usage for you, you know? With CM I got decent battery life, probably around 10 hours or so. With Myn I definitely got more than that, just can't remember. It's been a while since I used Myn. It really depends on what kernel you use with them. I could be wrong, but I think there's more kernels available for Sense and Nonsense roms than there is for CM. Either way, trial an error. I'm sure someone else will chime in. I know d3x and I think iamlilysdad have tried both extensively. I'm sure they'll be able to give a better idea of battery life. As far as reverting back, as long as you're rooted, you can restore whatever nandroid backups you have.

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you can have multiple nandroid backups. Definitely worthwhile for playing and comparing. The only downside is that they take up a fair amount of space on the SD Card.
I don't think my battery life comparison will help you much. I don't get good battery life. I work in a building with a VERY faint signal. When you don't get a good signal your phone spends a lot of energy scanning to find a good one (or something like that... again the superusers can explain the specifics). Plus, 4G is an energy hog. Finally, with a 40 minute public transit commute each way, I use the phone an awful lot. I will never get 10 hours with my usage patterns.
That all having been said, if I'm not at work and not using the phone much to power browse, I can get through a whole day on one charge.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is pretty subjective. What's moderate usage for me, might be heavy usage for you, you know? With CM I got decent battery life, probably around 10 hours or so. With Myn I definitely got more than that, just can't remember. It's been a while since I used Myn. It really depends on what kernel you use with them. I could be wrong, but I think there's more kernels available for Sense and Nonsense roms than there is for CM. Either way, trial an error. I'm sure someone else will chime in. I know d3x and I think iamlilysdad have tried both extensively. I'm sure they'll be able to give a better idea of battery life. As far as reverting back, as long as you're rooted, you can restore whatever nandroid backups you have.

I haven't used CM6 in a long time. I used myn's for a good period of time with the battery tweak and got really good battery life. That's not even with a custom kernel like netarchy. I can go all day with that setup actually with moderate usage.

Off you want a good balance between the two you can try vaelpak with a netarchy kernel. I've heard (from jerzy) that battery life is excellent.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
CM6 Is hands down my favorite Rom if it wasn't for the 4g issue it would be my everyday Rom. Haven't used Myn but I've gotten pretty good battery life with Baked Snack.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
This question is like Chocolate or Vanilla? Depends on your taste. I'm another CM fan, though Myn's is the prettiest rom out there IMO.

Disgustoid

May 15, 2010
Visit site
This question is like Chocolate or Vanilla? Depends on your taste. I'm another CM fan, though Myn's is the prettiest rom out there IMO.

Vanilla sucks compared to chocolate. ;)

Given how easy it is to backup and restore your custom ROMs (if you have space on your memory card), I'd test all the ROMs that sound interesting to you until you find one you like.

anon81974

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Woah haha I just got back from work and I didn't expect to have so many replies. Lol thanks for your replies everyone! I just got to root my phone and now i'm going to flash CM6.1 and Myn's on it...might give Fresh a try but I'm not sure. I just mostly use my phone for texting and an occasional call so i think i'll be ok on battery life..been getting around 12 hours before root..so that's decent.

Dochas

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Ya I use the hell out of my phone. With VaelPak and netarchy 4.1.9.1 HAVS my battery life is ridiculous.

Same setup, average day at work I'm not a super heavy user, receive maybe 30 emails with push from outlook and 10/15 min updates for my 2 gmail accounts, send 5 or so, play some games on break for 20-30 mins, check the calendar a few times, a few twitter updates and the occasional google search.

Unplug around 7:30 in the morning, by the time I get home at 5:30 im usually in the mid 60%s still. Dramatic increase over kings bfs 8 where I would get home with around 35%.

That said I was playing around with CM Nightlies last week, and I'm putting CM back on tonight along with the new .35 kernal, we will see how the battery life compares.

lowetax

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Woah haha I just got back from work and I didn't expect to have so many replies. Lol thanks for your replies everyone! I just got to root my phone and now i'm going to flash CM6.1 and Myn's on it...might give Fresh a try but I'm not sure. I just mostly use my phone for texting and an occasional call so i think i'll be ok on battery life..been getting around 12 hours before root..so that's decent.

WARNING!!! before you cross that line!!!

if yer rooting and like the rest of us maniacs,
don't expect to just be texting and occasional calling !

at least you can check your drugs and alcohol at the door
when you boot up the evo!

i tried most of the roms/kernels - so many choices - each having something you really like...
try them all - you appreciate what you see.
the devs, powerusers and community in general is just awesome!

although that cm6 flys (as does superevo), i don't play any games and the like,
so i'm a SENSE man and my HTC EVO 4g Supersonic with Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo RLS 3 using stock htc kernel #10 works good for me.
(i'll be checking out with some other kernels as time goes by)

good luck and have some fun!

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
CM6 Is hands down my favorite Rom if it wasn't for the 4g issue it would be my everyday Rom. Haven't used Myn but I've gotten pretty good battery life with Baked Snack.

I'm running Myn's new rls3 with BS kernel #6 as I've yet to find a kernel that gives me the battery life of that kernel.