Rooting & returning back to stock

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok my question is what is the easiest method to root my phone that also allows me to return to stock as easy as possible? Ive heard that there are many different ways to root the evo but depending on how its rooted some methods could be harder to return to stock? Can anyone let me know if this is true or not.. If it is true what method do u suggest?? Thanks:cool:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The RUU (rom update utility) is a windows application that will flash your phone with a stock image - check the guide in the dev section.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The easiest way to root, isn't always the best way to root. I'd strongly suggest reading this thread and rooting that way. It's not hard at all as long as you read read read, double check every entry and follow the directions. There's also TONS of support in the dev/hacks section so if you do get stuck, you wont be stuck for long. To go back to stock, it's as simple as putting a file in your sd card and running it in hboot. Good luck and hope to see you in the hacks section soon!

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I will definately read the link.. Question though why does your sig say DON'T USE unrEVOked?? Why is it that the easiest way to root isnt the best way to root?? Just curious.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I believe that because when using unrEVOked you don't know what the program is actually doing to your phone. It's pretty much a 1-click root method. Most users here like to know exactly what's going on with their phones during the root process.

I used unrEVOked and dind't have any problems but there are some people on this forum that have used it and had issues.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I believe that because when using unrEVOked you don't know what the program is actually doing to your phone. It's pretty much a 1-click root method. Most users here like to know exactly what's going on with their phones during the root process.

I used unrEVOked and dind't have any problems but there are some people on this forum that have used it and had issues.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's mostly it. There's a few issues I have with unrEVOked. unrEVOked has to my knowledge been the only ones to find the exploit to root the Evo with 2.2. Now they refuse to tell anyone the exploit because they say if they do, htc will quickly put out an update to patch up that exploit. Which is true and completely understandable. I actually agree with that. This is where it starts to get iffy with unrEVOked. For one, they don't have a good track record. Their last method caused sooo many issues with people it surprises me that so many people still use unrEVOked. Then there's unrEVOked forever. I personally find that to be one of the most reckless things to come out in the hack community. Now granted, if you root, using ANY method, you're doing it knowing the potential consequences. Using unrEVOked forever, you should know the definite consequences (your phone being rooted forever). So at the end of the day, there is personal responsibility that must be taken from anyone that roots. However, that doesn't mean that those that create these root methods shouldn't take personal responsibility themselves for the product or service they put out. With unrEVOked, they don't seem to take any responsibility. It's basically here, use it, and you're on your own. Then people that end up with problems have NO idea what to do. They don't know what to do because one, they have no idea what the program they just ran did. Two, since they didn't take the time to learn how to use adb, learn how the rooting process works, and what the rooting process does, when it comes time to fix the problem they don't know what to do. They don't know what to do because someone will tell them to adb this or adb that or to do this or do that, but again, they didn't learn anything using unrevoked so now they have no idea what we're talking about. Then there's the fact that even the people that try to help, are helping blindly because WE don't know what unrevoked does either. We can do the best we can but unfortunately there are plenty of situations where the user ends up having to unroot, go back to stock, and root the way the sticky says in the hacks section. Now there are plenty of people that don't have issues when using unrevoked. And that's great. But there are enough people that do have issues after using unrevoked to make me feel that it's just not worth it. And as I stated before, knowledge is power. The more you know, the easier it is to solve problems either on your own, or through guidance of someone else. I respect unrEVOked for their efforts. It's nothing personal against them at all. I just don't have faith in their product and I think they should take much more responsibility for the service that they offer. Myself and the others from the Evo hacks section are MORE than willing to help anyone with an issue. If you use the root method in the link above, there are plenty of us that are around that are MORE than willing to help with any issue. Not only will your phone be rooted in the end, you'll come out with really good knowledge that will certainly help you in the future.. When you have unrevoked users asking whats recovery, it's pretty obvious they're on a HUGE learning curve when issues arise.

Reactions: eye4ni

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca