The Android Developers Cookbook...

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I bought it... I'm reading it. I'm going to apply it. Hope you'll all be willing to try out my first app once I get to it, regardless of how basic it is. It should be soon, within a few weeks. All i know is i'm going to need a flux capacitor...

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Your probably gonna have to get linux box running, when you do, mind telling me how? Thanks :D

Last edited by a moderator:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Are you asking how to set up a virtual box to run linux in?

Nope I already got that, I'm gonna set up a full blown dual boot, or full install on an old retired xp box of mine.

I'm gonna use ubuntu, should I use that or a different distro?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Nope I already got that, I'm gonna set up a full blown dual boot, or full install on an old retired xp box of mine.

I'm gonna use ubuntu, should I use that or a different distro?

I would go with Ubuntu.Save yourself a lot of headache and start with 10.04.Thats going to be the one that plays better with java.Trust me,I've been fighting java on a older version for a few days.Java fights dirty and will win everytime.lol. I also have ran just about everyway(virtual box,dual boot,dual boot and different version for virtual box,and full ubuntu) If you can't run a full ubuntu system with no windows os then i would do dual boot.Virtual box of any form are nice but it just easier. To many little things like driver for sdcard or your phone when using a virtual box.In linux no driver needed.

@Op sorry went a little off track but this might be helpful for you too.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I would go with Ubuntu.Save yourself a lot of headache and start with 10.04.Thats going to be the one that plays better with java.Trust me,I've been fighting java on a older version for a few days.Java fights dirty and will win everytime.lol. I also have ran just about everyway(virtual box,dual boot,dual boot and different version for virtual box,and full ubuntu) If you can't run a full ubuntu system with no windows os then i would do dual boot.Virtual box of any form are nice but it just easier. To many little things like driver for sdcard or your phone when using a virtual box.In linux no driver needed.

@Op sorry went a little off track but this might be helpful for you too.

Java isn't friends with 10.10?

I'm Gonna try to get full ubuntu as a first option, but the hard drive might be shot :/

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I would go with 10.04,dont accept updates unless you need them.When it comes to building things for android newest isn't always the best.I compile kernels on ubuntu 9.04.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I forgot Oct has come and Gone...

I need to Fire up the Linux Partition and Update...

When I say update I mean Wipe the partition and reflash the system :cool:

Tru I'll be a guinea pig on this app of yours just let me know

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Also don't forget 10.10 isn't LTS where 10.04 is ;)

Oh and ... if you're gonna dual boot, be careful using gparted. Gparted can work fine but I'd recommend researching using windows partition manager first.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Also don't forget 10.10 isn't LTS where 10.04 is ;)

Oh and ... if you're gonna dual boot, be careful using gparted. Gparted can work fine but I'd recommend researching using windows partition manager first.

Great points...

If you're ever going to Dual boot with linux and Windows make sure you install your Windows Partition First to avoid any issues

I've done it both ways and believe me save yourselves the headache of having to redo everything

I liked 9.04 but I run several versions of Linux on my PC

the New Features and such always get me giddy :cool:

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I would go with 10.04,dont accept updates unless you need them.When it comes to building things for android newest isn't always the best.I compile kernels on ubuntu 9.04.

I don't have any experience with 10.10 (haven't tried it yet). However for what it's worth my laptop is running 10.04 (has since it came out) and I've had no issues. Setting up Eclipse the Android ADT plugins, and AVD manager wasn't too tough. Just follow the basic instructions on developer.google.com.

If you're not familiar with Linux you can also install Eclipse and run it on Windows. My desktop is still running Windows XP and I have it all setup there as well.

When installing the ADT plugin in Eclipse I've had issues using the steps in the "Downloading the ADT Plugin" of the link above. When I "add site" it throws a 404 error (they may have fixed it but I've had it several times). If that happens just download the "ADT Plugin zip" from the same page. Under the section "Troubleshooting ADT Installation" and install it that way.

If you're ever going to Dual boot with linux and Windows make sure you install your Windows Partition First to avoid any issues

This is a very good point for beginning users. Usually if Windows is there first dual booting is pretty easy to setup.

Last edited:

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This is a very good point for beginning users. Usually if Windows is there first dual booting is pretty easy to setup.

Yup The Wizard on Ubuntu Kubutu Mint Any of the Linux variants will recognize the Windows Partition and makes things easy to Identify when loading onto the partitions

It may seem complicated for most but its very easy

MarcoSangria

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
We looking good Android Developers

Seeking strong software engineers with Android, C/C++, Java and embedded Linux experience to assist in the
development of Android based mobile phones.
The project will be involved in a hands-on approach, dealing with a wide range of mobile technologies and should
have an understanding of what it really takes to make a mobile product on the Android platform (2.1, 2.2 and
tablet versions). Engineers for board bring up and through the lifetime of the project through to product launch,
influencing feature implementations and solving complex technical problems along the way.

Key Responsibilities
- Participation in and development of technical workshops
- Providing consultancy to customer engineers - from analyzing new requirements to helping solve
complex technical problems
- Implementation of new features - all phases of the software development process from requirements
analysis to maintenance.
- Assisting in product specification, customization, software design, implementation, integration,
troubleshooting and optimization

Skills & Experience
Demonstrable expertise in one or more Android OS domains. For example Baseporting, Kernel, device drivers,
Hardware adaptations, Protocol stacks, Multimedia, Image, Audio, Video, Speech, DRM, Camera, Graphics,
Internet Protocols, Telephony, Shortlink, LBS, User experience, application frameworks, product creation,
Middleware, Web technologies, SDKs, Browsers, Runtime engineers, Dalvick, Tools, Multi-platform support,
Security, Synchronization, Device Management, PIM, Messaging, FOTA, System UI, User experience
- Proven Android/C++/Java development and design experience on mobile embedded platforms
- Good understanding of multiple platforms and technologies in handset space
- Ability to co-ordinate and work with clients and distributed teams
- Ability to work in ambiguous environment and work towards providing clarity

Experienced Android Developers, job company RF Engineering, Telecom Jobs & wireless jobs in the world | TelecomWirelessJobs.com

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084