USB & SD Card issues

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Yea man don't give up. I had a panic attack when I tried rooting with unrevoked. The phone seemed ok, but it wasn't fully rooted. It was partial, and that means bad news down the road. I almost panic too, instead of giving up, I got online with Jerzy and we rooted together. Took some time but well worth it. Any or all of us would be willing to get online and help you out. But don't give you, you'll miss out on the functionality.

Instead of panicking what you should have done is jump on the computer and ask what to do next. Have one of us on standby as you go step by step. When you use the adb, you have to make sure you hit every space and everything.

And what Jerzy mentioned about the versions is spot on. HTC has a whole new layout they released in November. That could be a culprit as well...

Don't give up. Smash the current one and say it was run over, and try again.

Reactions: UndeadCircus

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Hahaha. Thanks bro.

Before I get on the phone with Wirefly to try and get this phone replaced, do you guys know of any last steps I can take on the phone to try and root it? I was reading through this thread [ How-To ] Fix SD card not being detected & USB port not working - xda-developers and I did in fact get the SD card back. The only issue now is the USB issue.

Do you guys possibly know of a way of rooting this phone without it being plugged into the computer? I've tried downloading a new PC36IMG.zip file and using that in the recovery menu, but no luck. I'm almost out of all options here.. I'd much rather keep this phone instead of sending it back and waiting to get another one (I know, I'm stubborn haha). But all I need is to just get some root access to get the USB part fixed.

If there really isn't any way to get root access without using the computer, then I'll just have to cut my losses and call Wirefly. I'm just trying to avoid those guys all together...haven't had much luck with getting anyone competent on the phone through them since I started this process. :p

Thanks guys!

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I decided to just go ahead and call Wirefly. They're going to charge me a $250 deposit to overnight me a new phone today, which isn't a big deal. So hopefully tomorrow I'll have the new Evo all back and loaded like normal. :)

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Hahaha. Yea, me too. I mean... The phone is still sorta usable right now other than the fact I have to shut it down to charge. So waiting for this next one to get here isn't that big of a deal. I'm not going to feel like I'm feigning for it too bad haha. But either way, I definitely appreciate all the help you've given me bro!

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
bluetooth. i use file share all the time. you can connect your bluetooth on your computer and phone... could try that. do you get to keep your other evo?

you should run the RUU and try again on that evo. practice it

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I tried the RUU option. The only way I was able to get it to work was to shut down the device, boot into fastloader usb, and then do it that way. No luck with it.

And nope, I don't get to keep the one I have. I have to send it back the second I activate the other one to avoid them keeping my $250 haha. But oh well.. I've given up hope that this one is ever going to work. There are thousands of PC36IMG's out there, even more update.zip files and probably millions of other things that could have gone wrong.

I have yet to come across a 100% walkthrough that takes you through absolutely every single possible explanation and file that needs to be clicked/downloaded/loaded/booted/etc. Until that time comes, I realize that rooting just isn't for me quite yet. I'm a PC geek. I can hack and shred a PC to pieces, but Linux is a different story. I couldn't tell you the difference between a bootloader, a rom or a kernel. At all. Until I educate myself a little more on this whole shebang, I figure it best if I just don't risk it.

I think steering clear of root for awhile is going to do me some good. Plus, in the time I've had the phone, I love it too much to have to lose all functionality of another brand new device. I don't wanna risk it's life just yet, haha.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough. Besides, if you wait, then root later you can notice all the speed benefits and stuff and appreciate it.

I can't hack computers at all, so each to there own haha.

Just one piece of advice, gaining root access is not always guaranteed. So gaining root while you can, but still living the stock life might benefit you in the long run.

If you do ever decide to root again, just hit me up and ill walk you through it step by step. If you'd like :p

Reactions: UndeadCircus