Best way to get to 2.2 rooted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
OK, I'm a bit behind. Work's been way to busy for me to keep up to date here on Android Central. So, if this question is already answered, feel free to point me there.

I'm at 2.1, rooted (with unrevoked), stock ROM. To get to the most current stock ROM, and rooted, should I download and install all the updates from Sprint, and then run unrevoked3? Or is there a better way?

For the time being, at least, I'm not interested in going to a custom ROM, although any thing is possible in the future. I might be interested in deleting some of the Sprint bloatware.

Many thanks,

Bob

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Definatly the way thats in the sticky, its a little work but you get and learn things that are needed to be a proficient root-ie.

It's stickied for a reason, and unrevoked isnt stickied for a reason.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
As always, I agree with Mr. igotsanevo4g...

Thing is... the safest way to root is to return to 2.1, then flash a custom ROM that is 2.2. There are in fact roms out there that are past 2.1.

Again... I strongly agree that other methods are the best way, hence why they are stickied and unrevoked is not. Since you used unrevoked... are you fully rooted btw???

Just because you run the unrevoked application doesnt mean you have full root. I'm sure you've fully rooted tho. You seem seasoned enough, but I feel obliged to make sure I point it out. A lot of people have a misconception about unrevoked. Biggest one being that it's a good way to root. :p

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
But, as I said, I have no interest at this time in using a custom ROM. And my Evo is a business tool, not a hobby. No knock on those for whom it is a hobby, but all I really want is to be able to run a few applications that require root. I don't really need to learn to be an efficient rootie. I just want it done.

Thanks again.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Definatly the way thats in the sticky, its a little work but you get and learn things that are needed to be a proficient root-ie.

It's stickied for a reason, and unrevoked isnt stickied for a reason.

Watch ur wording we dont need another one of those threads...

But Indeed the Sticky is the best method little more work but worth it in the end

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
OK, so why is it "worth it in the end"? What is the "end" that's different than using one of the 1-click root tools?

The things that I've personally heard from around the forum here is that unrEVOked used methods that they don't disclose to the public on how their tools work. Obviously a lot of the people here don't recommend that because there's no telling what all is being done to the phone using their one-click software.

Also, I've read around in different topics stating that unrEVOked causes issues after everything has been done (such as not being full root, not being able to unroot, etc). I tried it doing the sticky in this thread on my brand new Evo and messed it up like an idiot, haha.

On the other hand, I was in the IRC chat last night (#HTC-EVO on Freenode) for the xda-developers forum and all of the guys in there seem to condone and love the unrEVOked methods. So, I think different communities have different opinions, and here at AndroidCentral, the majority seem to dislike the unrEVOked method; whereas going to XDA-Developers you'll get a majority that praise and condone it.

Hope that helps.
Ricky

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
whereas going to XDA-Developers you'll get a majority that praise and condone it.

Hope that helps.
Ricky

I disagree because Im also a member there and Most point you to Toast's Method...

I guess we just see more of the issues on here because people are too scared to ask questions there

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Meyerweb did you get your answer to your satisfaction?

The last thing we need is another argument about unrevoked. It's not for everyone and it can cause problems that are hard to troubleshoot. But if out suits your needs then by all means go for it. It's your phone. :)

Sent from my Optimus T

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not getting involved in this one... guys have at it... Seems like you have ur mind made up already on this

No, if I had my mind made up I wouldn't have asked for more information. But at the time of my question, the only answer was basically "use the sticky approach because it's stickied."

Meyerweb did you get your answer to your satisfaction?

I think there are finally some posts that give reasons why using unrevoked might not be a good idea. Thanks.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
well, if you arent familiar and need help going thru the root process theres a few guys on here that might dedicate the time. It's a time consuming process... especially if something goes wrong. took me a while to do it, somewhere like 2 hours to unroot, return to stock, and re-root. that's only because i was working with someone over gtalk, it shouldn't take that long.

anyway... in short, unrevoked doesnt offer full root after you click the one click method. theres more to it. thats why people recommend you read up on it and get familiar because if you just do the one click and dont have full root, you'll come around asking all these questions about it.

let us know the verdict and what decision you make. we're here to help after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz