Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Exclamation Custom APK & Flashing *HELP*

I have a question and i may be taking a shot in the dark with this so bare with me I'm currently rooted running Myns RLS4 and i see that quite a few people customized it. I know howto grab the .apk's and place them on my computer. However, my question is, when i go into edit these .apk files, do i change .apk > .zip then open the .zip and extract the file contents to the computer as the original name of the .apk but in folder form? If so, when i edit in photoshop and then i'm done/saved and good to go... How do i go about making it flashable or for instance, if i edited Rosie.apk, i'm looking to edit the battery, so say i did- how do i go about putting it on my phone or making it flashable? I'm sorry if this is confusing but i'd like to make my phone a bit more unique. If anyone has a guide on this stuff, that would be appreciated lol. Thanks!

If it means anything, i'm on a Mac.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

I dont do much theming but heres some links for you.
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...heme-sgbz.html

--- these next two are just amazing guides, well they were for me at least. TON'S of knowledge in the second one if you're up too it.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/hack...l-rom-faq.html

Some advice.. - xda-developers

EDIT - Whoops, i thought i read that you wanted to make youre own themed ROM completely, my bad. I'll leave the links up for posterity.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
    Thanked by:
    tibbys 

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

Quote Originally Posted by tbistONE View Post
    I have a question and i may be taking a shot in the dark with this so bare with me I'm currently rooted running Myns RLS4 and i see that quite a few people customized it. I know howto grab the .apk's and place them on my computer. However, my question is, when i go into edit these .apk files, do i change .apk > .zip then open the .zip and extract the file contents to the computer as the original name of the .apk but in folder form? If so, when i edit in photoshop and then i'm done/saved and good to go... How do i go about making it flashable or for instance, if i edited Rosie.apk, i'm looking to edit the battery, so say i did- how do i go about putting it on my phone or making it flashable? I'm sorry if this is confusing but i'd like to make my phone a bit more unique. If anyone has a guide on this stuff, that would be appreciated lol. Thanks!

If it means anything, i'm on a Mac.
    I never rename it as .zip.I leave the .apk how it is and open it with 7zip and pull the res folder out of the .apk,then when your all done making your edits put the res folder back in the apk.If you just adb push the apk you shouldn't have to resign it.If you want to make it flashable that i wouldn't be help on never really been able to set up signing .apk/zips with a mac.(I've never touched a mac.lol)
    Thanked by:
    tibbys 

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by beezy View Post
    I never rename it as .zip.I leave the .apk how it is and open it with 7zip and pull the res folder out of the .apk,then when your all done making your edits put the res folder back in the apk.If you just adb push the apk you shouldn't have to resign it.If you want to make it flashable that i wouldn't be help on never really been able to set up signing .apk/zips with a mac.(I've never touched a mac.lol)
    Thats what I do too...

7Zip is awesome for the Record...
    Arrogant Linux Elitist
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

igotsanevo4g and beezy , thankyou very much- i'm not big on pushing ADB but im learning, can i use betterzip? for mac? does anyone know?

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

Quote Originally Posted by tbistONE View Post
    igotsanevo4g and beezy , thankyou very much- i'm not big on pushing ADB but im learning, can i use betterzip? for mac? does anyone know?
    Im not sure if they would but here's two things i found,
    APK Android Development

If you have to set up this kitchen and you can sign .apks
    [KITCHEN][NOV. 29 '10] HTC Android Kitchen, v0.108 [Linux / Mac / Windows] - xda-developers

ROM
    Stock

for mac I use Yellow Mug Software - Quality Shareware and Freeware Exclusively for Mac OS X

They have a good zip program for zipping the file back up. I use it when I make bootanimations. Try it out for the themeing. It should work. Mac OS has an internal unzipper already so don't worry about that.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

I figured it out! modified sexy rosie's dock completely, take a look!

When you press down on the app draw buttons, the nexus colors appear in glow

Thats Pretty Sweet.....
    HTC EVO 4G
    Vaelpak 3.0 Remastered
    Netarchy-4.1.9,1-SBC
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

haha that IS pretty sweet.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

thankyou!!! and thankyou guys for helping me out, mucho appreciated!