OTA 2.3 for my Rooted, but not ROM'ed, Evo?

JBGood

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes if you do the OTA update you would lose root. Your apps, info and such would be ok.

If your looking to update to 2.2 and want to keep your root, you should check out "Sprints Lover Rom" over at XDA. Its basically a stock and rooted 2.2 rom with very little change in how it looks or runs. Its been cleaned up and optimized a bit to run a lot smoother. Here's the link: [ROM] 02/25/11 | SPRINT LOVERS | 2.2 | 3.70.651.1 | Radio/Wimax/PRI All-In-One - xda-developers

Sent from my MIUI havin, Gingerbread Throwing EVO

Ok, so if I run the OTA the only "bad" thing it will do is unroot my phone? But it should install properly? Just wanting to make sure. I can always reroot later if need be.

JBGood

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I tried the OTA with a rooted phone. It downloaded the update, restarted the phone then i got a Triangle with a ! in it and the Android guy. I did a battery pull and it resarted normally and asked if i wanted to install the update. Same result 2x. So I am guessing that I have to unroot BEFORE i can install the OTA? At this point I dont really see the need for root as i dont use the wifi hotspot and that was the only real reason I did it. So loosing the root is not really a big deal to me. I just want the OTA. Any suggestions? Thanks.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I tried the OTA with a rooted phone. It downloaded the update, restarted the phone then i got a Triangle with a ! in it and the Android guy. I did a battery pull and it resarted normally and asked if i wanted to install the update. Same result 2x. So I am guessing that I have to unroot BEFORE i can install the OTA? At this point I dont really see the need for root as i dont use the wifi hotspot and that was the only real reason I did it. So loosing the root is not really a big deal to me. I just want the OTA. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ok, couple of questions first.

How did you try a OTA update?

There isn't a official 2.3 update, as of yet?

Or did I miss something? I mean I know I haven't run a stock eVo in a long while.... but I read the blogs and forums everyday.

There was a leaked version of the up coming GB update... but you have to flash it through recovery.

Sent From My Miui Havin, Gingerbread Throwing eVo4g

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Do an advanced search for posts made by "thefredelement" He has helped a lot of people in this same situation and may be able to help you out as well. He also has some guides for unrooting your phone that may be useful in what you are trying to do. Thefredelement also uses unrevoked to root his phone, so his info may be more specific to your setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21