HOW TO: Stay stock and get rid of the bloat

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi I would like to try this but I have no idea what a nand backup is. Nor do I know how PR why I would need to do it. Please help as I would love to do z4root. Thanks!

Enraged Medic

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Enraged medic you should just download the file on your phone once you get it there get a app the let's you see your files like astrology file manager and go to where you put the file it should say apk file then click that and hit package installer click ok to install you might not have went to your settings app manager and click install unknown apps it might be good to do that before anything once that's all done you need to get the titanium back up once in there you could long press the app or click it and choose either freeze or delete you might not know what apps to not delete so read the post on what you can and can't and you should be good if the file problem persists then change the file look a Googleing download z4root apk and file the actual apk file not exe or anything else it should only say apk then transfer the file to you phone pc or just download from your browser hope that helps

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I managed to get z4root on my phone but the problem is, I have a newer EVO with a build date of 10/19/2010 and it unfortunately has the 2.10 hboot so it won't temporarily root, let alone root at all. I just went for the full root and tried to do it with unrEVOked3 and yeah, it got stuck at "waiting for root" phase. I did some homework in the forums and yes, I know there's a work-around but seriously, I'm NOT going to jump through fire hoops and crunch all this code and flash all these zip files because I know I'll just F*$K up my phone. I've had it for a week and I think I can either wait for Gingerbread or wait for unrEVOked or someone else to fix their root programs to make it easy on us noobs :D

Reactions: netkgb

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Z4 root does work no matter what your hboot, for temp root.

Use the z4 root I've attached on the second post.

And I know for a fact amazon and gtalk are in there and removable. What is it saying when you try to delete?

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey I already broke my first evo the second day of having it I had did the update and didn't realize what I had done then I tried to do all the reading in the world but I took a shoot at one and bombed my phone with a ruu and returned it but great guy from these forums helped me out like crazy and guide my to this root method and it dose it for you I'm telling you if you hadn't tried it it is really really easy trust me I was not a noobie but I figured out the hard way when it comes to evos

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

sincityk9

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
With titanium it says that they are deleted but when it reboots they are back everytime. When I use root explorer amazon is nowhere to be found and gtalk says its deleting but also comes back everytime after reboot. I think I am doing it right because I was able to delete all the other programs I wanted to. Just not those two

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
With titanium it says that they are deleted but when it reboots they are back everytime. When I use root explorer amazon is nowhere to be found and gtalk says its deleting but also comes back everytime after reboot. I think I am doing it right because I was able to delete all the other programs I wanted to. Just not those two

Maybe the Market updater/Something else puts it back on becasue you lose root when you reboot.

Something is fishy...

Reactions: sincityk9

sincityk9

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that was it. Amazon was on auto update in the market. I turned that off, went back in and g talk and amazon both deleted perfect. Good call.i don't know why it worked for gtalk as well but it did. This experience makes me want to do full root. Thanks again...

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok I followed all directions except for the nand backup (I had no idea how to do it) and I have z4root on my phone. When I installed and opened it it gave me a page that said "temporary" and "permanent" root. I chose the temporary root and then I thought I was rooted (i have the superuser app in my app drawer).

I tried to open titanium backup and it said basically said that Im not rooted.

No problem. I now want to un-root my device. First I shut my device down and started it up again (reboot). However when I went into my app drawer the superuser app was still there ( I am assuming that I am still rooted). I went into the z4root app again to look for an uninstall button and it made me go through the process again of rooting. So I did another temporary install. Once it finished the rooting process I waited for an unroot button and found nothing.

All I want to do is un-root. Please help out a confused newbie. Did I mess things up because I don't do the nand operation? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I tried a reboot (holding volume rocker up and down then pressing power button) and I'm in the same dilemma. I also went into titanium backup and it said root access: failed. I still have superuser in my app drawer. Thanks again from a very confused novice.

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You cannot do a nandroid backup because this is a fake, cheap, dirty, temporary root.

To get rid of superuser, uninstall it like you would the bloat before you reboot.

burzlurker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you just use Root Explorer instead of z4Root and Titanium, or is root explorer just a substitute for Titanium? Is it a better program to use instead of Titanium?

With a temporary root can you change your boot up imagine (the white evo 4g) or will it revert back to stock flash screen after its out of temp root? Also does any one have any ideal how this will affect OTA updates? Since I have an older mac I dont want to do anything that could affect OTA updates since that is my only way to get anything. I would think just removing bloat ware and not system files it should be ok, as it will probably just reinstall all the bloat ware, but I dont want to chance it.

thoughts?

xDetoursX

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Excellent tut. Works like a charm with latest OTA update installed. This is exactly what I was looking for. Smells like a permanent root may be in the future, but this is good for now. Thx

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Can you just use Root Explorer instead of z4Root and Titanium, or is root explorer just a substitute for Titanium? Is it a better program to use instead of Titanium?

With a temporary root can you change your boot up imagine (the white evo 4g) or will it revert back to stock flash screen after its out of temp root? Also does any one have any ideal how this will affect OTA updates? Since I have an older mac I dont want to do anything that could affect OTA updates since that is my only way to get anything. I would think just removing bloat ware and not system files it should be ok, as it will probably just reinstall all the bloat ware, but I dont want to chance it.

thoughts?

Root explorer is just a substitute for titanium, you need root access to delete stuff from system app folder inside your phone.

You may be able to change your boot image through fastboot, but I don't recommend it with temp root.

And we wont know if it will affect ota updates yet, if it does just reinstall the apps in the same spot. Ill make a tutorial on that if needed.

I recommend full root, that way you don't have to rely on ota for updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan