Did I make an oopsie somewhere?

EyeizMarzi

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
While spending days skimming through the forums, trying to figure out how to root my phone (main reasons are: Wifi Tethering, custom roms, themes, over/underclocking cpu) I've learned a lot but no matter what my end result is....I'm either too incompetent, or just too scared to make any moves towards doing it. So with that being said I decided to settle with using unrEVOked3 since it's the effortless way. But I know I'm not learning anything from it. Which is why it's not so desired. Well anyway cutting to the chase.... I went ahead and installed the drivers and initiated the Reflash. It made it all the way through the steps on it's own until I got the message: "Failed to flash recovery image" WTF? Where did I eff up?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
While spending days skimming through the forums, trying to figure out how to root my phone (main reasons are: Wifi Tethering, custom roms, themes, over/underclocking cpu) I've learned a lot but no matter what my end result is....I'm either too incompetent, or just too scared to make any moves towards doing it. So with that being said I decided to settle with using unrEVOked3 since it's the effortless way. But I know I'm not learning anything from it. Which is why it's not so desired. Well anyway cutting to the chase.... I went ahead and installed the drivers and initiated the Reflash. It made it all the way through the steps on it's own until I got the message: "Failed to flash recovery image" WTF? Where did I eff up?

Did you accept the latest (htc) update for the phone before you tried to use unrevoked?

EyeizMarzi

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes :( I am now aware that downloading those new OTA updates are a conflicting factor with rooting.....But I learned that AFTER I had already accepted the update. I have the 3.70 build, the 2.15 radio, and the 2.10 hboot.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes :( I am now aware that downloading those new OTA updates are a conflicting factor with rooting.....But I learned that AFTER I had already accepted the update. I have the 3.70 build, the 2.15 radio, and the 2.10 hboot.

Yeah, I'm personally really mad at that bootloader and whatever they did to the recovery partition is driving me crazy, you can still achieve root by using this thread: [ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - On Fire Like Wood Edition - Upd. 12.20.10 - xda-developers - it's a process but if you go step by step you should be fine.

Reactions: EyeizMarzi

EyeizMarzi

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm already stuck at step one. Using the adb.exe I try to open it and it pops up and then closes immediately. Yes the main .zip has been extracted to my c:/Android folder I created.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm already stuck at step one. Using the adb.exe I try to open it and it pops up and then closes immediately. Yes the main .zip has been extracted to my c:/Android folder I created.

You have to open a command prompt and then type "adb ...some command"

In windows 7, hold the left shift key and right click on the folder and select "open a command window here"

in other windows vers, go to start, run, type cmd, and use "cd" to change directory to where the folder is.

EyeizMarzi

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Should the z4 root app be rebooting my phone automatically for me? Or should I really be getting that "Temp root was a success" message?

I get up to the part where you have to select root on that app and then It gos the to the said white screen...then just reboots the phone. No messages, no nothing. When I select adb shell in cmd it gives me the $ and when I try hitting su it says permission denied. Great. I'm wondering if maybe the z4.apk i DL'ed is a bad one.

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Should the z4 root app be rebooting my phone automatically for me? Or should I really be getting that "Temp root was a success" message?

I get up to the part where you have to select root on that app and then It gos the to the said white screen...then just reboots the phone. No messages, no nothing. When I select adb shell in cmd it gives me the $ and when I try hitting su it says permission denied. Great. I'm wondering if maybe the z4.apk i DL'ed is a bad one.

Sounds like you're on z4 1.1 and you need I believe 1.3, it will have an option for "temp root" if yours just has root then it's the older version.

EyeizMarzi

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot. Was unaware of multiple versions. I guess I'm gonna have to wait to do all of this tomorrow. Have to leave for work. I'll let you know how it goes when I make the attempt in the a.m.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech