[DEV-HELP-REQUEST][SOLVED]Attack HBOOT 2.10

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I got this going:

[GUIDE] HBOOT 2.10(.02 -?)[</3] Got you Down? - Get 0.76[<3] Back! - xda-developers

I want to be able to write to hboot on Evo's that have hboot 2.10 installed. The reason I want to do this is to flash the HTC engineering bootloader to get s-off without using unrevoked-forever. I don't really have anything against unrevoked-forever, I'd just personally a) would love to use the HTC software b) be able to change hboots on the fly c) have a faster root method for newer EVOs. I also have a nagging feeling towards a piece of the phone that I can't get write access to.

It used to be that you'd be able to flash the Evo's engineering software build as a PC36IMG.zip file with the old hboot in bootloader and it would replace the installed hboot.

So I'm asking all you guys for any ideas that you may have. I have already tried:

Flash the (0.76) engineering bootloader via recovery (armon, cwm, custom) - No good

Flash via bootloader as a PC36IMG.zip - No good

Flash via fastboot - No good
Lately I've been trying to force the write by starting several instances of fastboot and having a few of them send "fastboot erase hboot" - sometimes trying to send large files to hboot as well - it ties up the phone in fastboot pretty good but nothing gets forced through.

With S-OFF I've tried to create a new PC36IMG.zip from the latest RUU with the old hboot renamed as the new version and although the bootloader recognized it, it was still bypassed. That led me to just create a PC36IMG.zip file of just the new hboot, just to see if it's even possible to flash over this sucker with same version software and it is. I was able to flash hboot 2.10 on top of 2.10. So to me that means there's three ways to go about it: (I think)

1) Force some kind of write access to hboot via fastboot or recovery or
2) Find out whatever kind of version authenticating the bootloader is doing on hboot flash and manipulate the engineering hboot to match
3) Destroy the bootloader/hboot to a point where I can just get back in to recovery or fastboot and flash the .76 hboot without any type of checking

Any ideas, tips, suggestions, links to anything relevant are all super appreciated. Thanks.

If you want to jump on the bandwagon (well, more like a scooter lol) and try some of this on your own I suggest you backup your WiMax keys with armon ra recovery!!!!

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey igots! thanks for chiming in man.

Yeah, you're 100% right, you can get S-OFF and flash til your hearts content, I guess it's just becoming a personal battle for me at this point lol and I'd just love to be able to give people a choice and a non 3rd party root method.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey igots! thanks for chiming in man.

Yeah, you're 100% right, you can get S-OFF and flash til your hearts content, I guess it's just becoming a personal battle for me at this point lol and I'd just love to be able to give people a choice and a non 3rd party root method.

Dude I had the Same Battle when the phone came out...

Its not an easy road and I cant remember the exactly procedure I used...

but in theory Flashing Forever then the PC36IMG containing Eng-Hboot should work... :confused:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Dude I had the Same Battle when the phone came out...

Its not an easy road and I cant remember the exactly procedure I used...

but in theory Flashing Forever then the PC36IMG containing Eng-Hboot should work... :confused:

It should but it doesn't, I'm s-off right now and can flash any PC36IMG but every single one bypasses hboot, I can only re-flash hboot 2.10 on top of 2.10.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I will give that a shot when I get home tonight or if I can sneak it in here at work.

Boss - What the hell are you doing Fred?

Fred - What? Uh nothing just uhm, flashing an Hboot on my phone so i can possibly get the Eng hboot

Boss - Have you been doing drugs?

Fred - Whats that have to do with anything?

LOL, That conversation flashed through my head, just thought id share.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty