[PSA] ROOTING Help, Info & Asking for help (updated 1/24/11)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
awsome....thanks for the info.....much appreciated....man i gotta tell ya, most forums...people would bash you or go on about there day and not even reach out to help..LOL......pretty cool....thanks again

No problem, we're all here to learn and help, it's fun and I'm glad you appreciate it!

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
How I would root

This is a somewhat editorial follow up to the guide I wrote on the original post.

There is again much debate in our EVO Android community about the best way to root your phone, now that multiple methods support the latest hardware/software configuration people have three distinct ways to root. So I thought I would write out the exact steps that I would take to root my EVO:

If my phone came with or was updated to the 3.7 software

1) I would personally use this thread: [ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - There Will Be Root - Upd. 01.10.11 - xda-developers

2) After the process was completed I would install ROM Manager and install ClockworkMod Recovery v2.6.0.1

This is a good thread, it's the most manual process of rooting your phone. It's really not all that tough if you familiarize yourself with the steps before you do them and it will provide the biggest amount of upside when you're completed. By that I mean you will have ADB installed on your computer should you need it and you will also have experience pushing files and flashing partitions, as well as flashing files in recovery. Hopefully you never have to get "down & dirty" again but if you do, these are great skills to at least have done once before.

Yes, this method uses Unrevoked Forever, this is NOT the unrevoked3.3x root process. Unrevoked Forever flips a bit in your phone's radio software that tells HBOOT that it's OK to accept files that aren't digitally signed by HTC, otherwise known as S-OFF. As of hboot 2.02+ this is the only way to get S-OFF.

Unrevoked3.3x is software that will gain root access that plenty of people do use successfully - the sole reason I don't recommended it, is if you're here and reading this you should take the extra few steps and time to really learn the process. This way if there's a problem you'll have a better idea of where to go, as well, you'll be more easily able to properly help other people.

I will update this post with what I would personally do if you're still lucky enough to be on an earlier hboot and anything before software 3.7.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys!

I'm looking in to rooting my phone and all the methods and stuff seem so complicated and easy to mess up. And the whole deal with the different hardware, software, etc. versions and how some methods work for some but not others is really confusing me, coming from iOS-land where it's so easy.

Anyway, I pulled all the numbers that seemed appropriate in "About Phone" menu and from the white screen with the 3 androids.

About Phone
Model number- PC36100
Hardware version- 0003
Android version- 2.2
Baseband version- 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel version- 2.6.32.17-gee557fd htc-kernel@and18-2#15
Build number- 3.70.651.1 CL294884 release-keys
Software number- 3.70.651.1
PRI Version- 1.90_003
PRL Version- 60674

White Screen
SUPERSONIC EVT-2 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT- 2.10.0001
MICROP- 041f
RADIO- 2.15.00.11.19

I think that should be more than enough, better safe than sorry. If you need anything else, just say so.

I'm looking for the easiest, most idiot-proof method of rooting. I really don't want to mess up this phone.

On a sidenote, I've got 2 questions.
How do you get out of the white screen without doing a battery pull?
What is wrong with Unrevoked? I've heard it's bad, but why?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys!

I'm looking in to rooting my phone and all the methods and stuff seem so complicated and easy to mess up. And the whole deal with the different hardware, software, etc. versions and how some methods work for some but not others is really confusing me, coming from iOS-land where it's so easy.

Anyway, I pulled all the numbers that seemed appropriate in "About Phone" menu and from the white screen with the 3 androids.

About Phone
Model number- PC36100
Hardware version- 0003
Android version- 2.2
Baseband version- 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel version- 2.6.32.17-gee557fd htc-kernel@and18-2#15
Build number- 3.70.651.1 CL294884 release-keys
Software number- 3.70.651.1
PRI Version- 1.90_003
PRL Version- 60674

White Screen
SUPERSONIC EVT-2 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT- 2.10.0001
MICROP- 041f
RADIO- 2.15.00.11.19

I think that should be more than enough, better safe than sorry. If you need anything else, just say so.

I'm looking for the easiest, most idiot-proof method of rooting. I really don't want to mess up this phone.

On a sidenote, I've got 2 questions.
How do you get out of the white screen without doing a battery pull?
What is wrong with Unrevoked? I've heard it's bad, but why?

The two easiest methods of rooting your phone would be: [ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.2 (works with all version)(1/10/11) - xda-developers or unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.32

Unrevoked gets a "bad" rap because it's closed source, so no one besides the unrevoked team (which is a group of very smart people by the way), knows the exploit that it uses to gain root access and flash a custom recovery. They keep it closed source so the manufacturer's don't close the open exploit.

Personally I spend a lot of time in the EVO channel on IRC where some of those guys hangout - they're smart and develop for the overall good of the community and I understand why they do what they do. Please read this before deciding to use unrevoked: public:unrevoked3 [RootWiki]

Reactions: deferom

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
The two easiest methods of rooting your phone would be: [ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.2 (works with all version)(1/10/11) - xda-developers or unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.32

Unrevoked gets a "bad" rap because it's closed source, so no one besides the unrevoked team (which is a group of very smart people by the way), knows the exploit that it uses to gain root access and flash a custom recovery. They keep it closed source so the manufacturer's don't close the open exploit.

Personally I spend a lot of time in the EVO channel on IRC where some of those guys hangout - they're smart and develop for the overall good of the community and I understand why they do what they do. Please read this before deciding to use unrevoked: public:unrevoked3 [RootWiki]

Looks like I'm going to go the unrevoked route, because I'm a Mac user.

Doesn't seem fair that they get a bad rap for that. Almost all of the iOS jailbreaking programs are closed-source, and most of the best ones are. Nobody complains. But, oh well, this is Android after all.

Anyway, thanks for your help! If anything goes wrong, I'll be back.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much! I'm rooted now and installed the free tethering.

Anyway, quick question. Because rooting can mess stuff up pretty badly, I've heard I need to do a nandroid backup. How do I do that?

Another question. How do I flash a custom ROM? I've heard you can't if you rooted with unrevoked, but I don't know. There's so much conflicting information.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much! I'm rooted now and installed the free tethering.

Anyway, quick question. Because rooting can mess stuff up pretty badly, I've heard I need to do a nandroid backup. How do I do that?

Another question. How do I flash a custom ROM? I've heard you can't if you rooted with unrevoked, but I don't know. There's so much conflicting information.

You can do both with an app called Rom Manager. When you get it, open it up and just select to "backup current rom" which will create a back up.

Also, when you find a rom you want to try (you can find several through rom manager) you can install it through rom manager as well.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
You can do both with an app called Rom Manager. When you get it, open it up and just select to "backup current rom" which will create a back up.

Also, when you find a rom you want to try (you can find several through rom manager) you can install it through rom manager as well.

I figured out how to get into recovery and do a nandroid by myself.

So it should work just fine? Sweet. I'll go find one I like.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I figured out how to get into recovery and do a nandroid by myself.

So it should work just fine? Sweet. I'll go find one I like.

Good deal.

There are a lot to try, that's to be sure. Make sure that you wipe data in rom manager before flashing a new rom. (so make sure to make a backup also if you want to!).

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
So, I installed ROM Manager and bought the paid version, and it's asking me to flash ClockworkMod Recovery.

Is this normal? I have it installed, but unrevoked did that. I'm just verifying it's safe to go ahead and reflash the recovery.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So, I installed ROM Manager and bought the paid version, and it's asking me to flash ClockworkMod Recovery.

Is this normal? I have it installed, but unrevoked did that. I'm just verifying it's safe to go ahead and reflash the recovery.

Yup, 2.6.0.1 is a good version to use - the person who makes Rom manager (koush), as well as clockworkmod is also on the Unrevoked team.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
So I think I'm going to flash Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo

Download Rom and Radio/Wimax updates and place in the root of SDCard.
Reboot into Recovery.
Perform Nandroid backup
Minimally wipe dalvik and cache. For optimal experience, perform full wipe (data/dalvik/cache).
Flash the rom first.
Then the radio/wimax update. While the radios are flashing you'll see a little green arrow phone icon for a bit afterwords, Wait on this. You will then automatically be taken back to recovery.
Once back in recovery, reboot.

Those are the installation instructions from xda. I just want to make sure I'd do it correctly. So I've put what I think I'd do step-by-step below make sure it works.

I know how to do a nandroid.
I have no idea how to wipe the dalvik, cache, or data. How do I wipe those?
Do I have to wipe all of my data?I've heard it's safer to do, but how nessacary is it? I'm willing to do it, but I'd rather not.
How do I flash the ROM?
Then how do I flash the radio updates?

Heck, a step-by-step would be good, but you don't have to go to that much trouble. If you answer the above questions, I'd be able to figure it out myself.

I think I could figure it out, but I'd want to make absolutely certain.

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So I think I'm going to flash Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo

Those are the installation instructions from xda. I just want to make sure I'd do it correctly. So I've put what I think I'd do step-by-step below make sure it works.

I know how to do a nandroid.
I have no idea how to wipe the dalvik, cache, or data. How do I wipe those?
Do I have to wipe all of my data?I've heard it's safer to do, but how nessacary is it? I'm willing to do it, but I'd rather not.
How do I flash the ROM?
Then how do I flash the radio updates?

I think I could figure it out, but I'd want to make absolutely certain.

That'll work just fine but an easier way would be to use ROM Manager.

Open ROM Manager on your phone, go to download ROM, select Myn's, when it's finished select backup current rom and wipe data.

The phone will reboot, backup your current ROM, wipe data and install Myn's rom, then reboot you right in to it.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Will that do everything? Including the radio updates?
I want to be absolutely certain.

And if anything goes wrong, I can almost always get into recovery and restore a nandroid?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Will that do everything? Including the radio updates?
I want to be absolutely certain.

And if anything goes wrong, I can almost always get into recovery and restore a nandroid?

Sorry, I missed that.

After you install the ROM and come back in to your new installation, download the latest radio update from Cauklin's XDA thread, put it on your SD card, then go to ROM Manager and select "install zip from sdcard" and pick the radio zip, just don't pick to wipe data (you can make another backup here if you want to). The phone will reboot in to recovery, start the update, tell you it'll finish on the next reboot, so hit reboot the phone normally, then it'll finish up the radio update and you'll be set.

Sorry about leaving that part out!

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
So if install the ROM from ROM Manager, the phone reboots into the new ROM, correct? Will it boot without the radio updates?

Would it be safer to just use recovery instead of ROM Manager?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So if install the ROM from ROM Manager, the phone reboots into the new ROM, correct? Will it boot without the radio updates?

Would it be safer to just use recovery instead of ROM Manager?

You can do them all at once inside of recovery but it's not as user friendly. To avoid any issue with Myn's you can actually flash the radio first then install the ROM 2nd.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Really? The instructions are pretty clear to flash the ROM first.

But, I'm on the latest OTA, so would I be safe?

Download Rom and Radio/Wimax updates and place in the root of SDCard.
Reboot into Recovery.
Perform Nandroid backup
Minimally wipe dalvik and cache. For optimal experience, perform full wipe (data/dalvik/cache).
Flash the rom first.
Then the radio/wimax update. While the radios are flashing you'll see a little green arrow phone icon for a bit afterwords, Wait on this. You will then automatically be taken back to recovery.
Once back in recovery, reboot.

I think it might be safer to just use recovery. So I flash the ROM in the same way you said I would flash the radio updates, correct?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae