[PSA] ROOTING Help, Info & Asking for help (updated 1/24/11)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
[Note]This only pertains too the 3.70 software (2.2 froyo), NOT to the latest 4.22 software (Gingerbread). For info on the latest software go http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...sa-rooting-new-2-3-not-possible-yet-read.html[/Note]

There's seems to be a fair amount of confusion with rooting, recoveries, and installing ROMs lately due in large part to a change in the partition structure of the EVO on phone's that upgraded to the latest (3.7) software update, or shipped with hboot 2.02+.

You need to know what you have in your hand before you begin the process of rooting your phone and installing a custom recovery to flash different ROMs. The three key pieces of information are software version, hardware version and hboot version.

To find your software version: From the home screen > menu > settings > about phone > software information

To find your hardware version: From the home screen > menu > settings > about phone > hardware information

To find your hboot version: Power off your Evo, once it's off press and hold the volume down button and the power button at the same time. Release your fingers when the screen with 3 androids loads, your hboot version will be displayed at the top of the screen. Select reboot to reboot your phone normally.

Rooting:
--
For any phone with the official version of 3.70 OR with HBOOT 2.02 or higher you have to follow this guide: [ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - Root! The Final Frontier Edition - Upd. 12.21.10 - xda-developers

I have made a version of this guide with screen shots here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...ide-rooting-3-7-hboot2-02-w-screen-shots.html

Or you can use Universal Auto Root which essentially automates the "hard" thread: [ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.2 (works with all version)(1/10/11) - xda-developers (*This method has caused issues for some of our members, I'm not sure of the exact problem but if anyone could shed some light on where it all goes wrong, that'd be great!)

Or Unrevoked3.x located here: unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.32

If you've rooted with any of the above versions you had to have used unrevoked forever, for more info on un rooting your phone after using this method, see this: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...turn-stock-after-using-unrevoked-forever.html

For any phone with a software version of less than 3.70 AND with an hboot lower than 2.02 follow this guide: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...34-how-rooting-htc-evo-froyo-2-2-windows.html (or you can use an unrevoked alternative)

Unrevoked:
--
There's a lot of back and forth about using Unrevoked to root your phone. I have started a thread here with a poll so you can be the judge for yourself: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-roms-hacks/54714-has-unrevoked-hurt-your-phone.html and choose it if it's the right root method for you.

Recoveries:
--
For any phone with official 3.70, or any phone that shipped or was officially upgraded to an hboot of 2.02 or above software you have to use the latest Armon RA recovery (located at the bottom of this thread: [ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - Root! The Final Frontier Edition - Upd. 12.21.10 - xda-developers)

Update: ClockworkMod 3.0.0.5 now works with phones that shipped with software version 3.70 and hboot 2.02+.

For any phone with an hboot lower than 2.02 you are free to use the initial armon ra or clockworkmod (rom manager) recoveries. (these are included in their root guides or available via rom manager)

(update 12/23: I was able to use clockworkmod on hboot2.10 and I didn't lose my 4G keys and was able to do everything I had to, I'm on hardware 003 - I don't understand why everyone is slamming clockworkmod and I was even trying to break my phone myself, I haven't gotten a lot of responses of Evo owners with 004 hardware so I'm still sticking to what I say below here, I know it will work on newer devices, until I can get someone else to test this out on other new hardware I'll leave it as is - if you want to test on 004 PM me and we can work it out)

Help:
--
When asking for help with rooting, boot loops, bad flashes, etc. Please state your current phone information. If you don't know it, that's OK, just state as much as you do know.

Never accept an OTA if you plan on rooting or are already rooted.

Last edited by a moderator:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
FAQ: (will be updated)

Q) What is hboot?
A) hboot is the software that first runs on your phone when it's booted. It controls what memory space is writable and what isn't as well as loads the bootloader if recovery software needs to be installed. It also provides a fastboot USB connection so it's still possible to access the phone's memory space with no software installed on it.

Q) What is recovery?
A) The EVO 4G comes with a recovery, this is a special mode that the phone can boot in to accept files over USB to restore it to it's original condition. For EVOs that have their HBOOT unlocked (s-off) it's possible to install a custom recovery (clockworkmod, armon ra) that can be used to flash after market ROMs to the boot, system, data memory space.

Q) What is "s-off" or nand unlocked?
A) The EVO's hboot by default comes with S-ON, otherwise known as signature on. The signature is created by HTC and is used for flashing official files digitally signed by HTC on to the EVO. In order to install a custom ROM and/or recovery, signature verification needs to be changed from "on" to "off".

Q) Why are there so many different root guides?
A) HTC/Sprint continually release software updates for the EVO, when they do they usually update their phone inventory with the latest software. For phones that came with a hboot of less than 2.02 it was possible to just tell the EVO (via temp rooting) that it had an old software version on it, then to use HTC's engineering EVO software image (with default s-off and root access) to flash over the current installation. As of hboot 2.02 it's still possible to tell the EVO it has an older version of software, but when the bootloader flashes the engineering file it will bypass the hboot "downgrade" because a) it has a different partition layout and b) the hboot itself now has a version check.

Q) So what are the differences between hboot 2.02+ phones and older phones?
A) The partition layout has changed, this is re-writable via older hboot installation (and some formating in recovery to get it all working again), though it's not 100% clear yet as to why there are new partitions. Also, hardware version 004 has a new camera, which means any kernel that you have on a 004 phone has to have the right drivers installed for the new camera hardware to work. (A kernel based off of the HTC 3.7 software release OR derived from that kernel source)

Last edited:

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Great job on this I was going to ask you to put something like this up but also one or more in depth on what the hboot means and the recovery is and if the guide what the which pc36 file is witch or what they will do while in that step of use but hey in glad I got this lol I just need the laptop and I'm going for the more informed dive for root haha I'm pretty sure now I know why I got mixed up on what file was what because I probably had the rom name one thing and the eng or what ever other pc36 file was and probably mistaken it for another file I should have probably used a another one instead lol but now I know what guide I deff should use now thanks for all your help man really appreciate everything

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Great job on this I was going to ask you to put something like this up but also one or more in depth on what the hboot means and the recovery is and if the guide what the which pc36 file is witch or what they will do while in that step of use but hey in glad I got this lol I just need the laptop and I'm going for the more informed dive for root haha I'm pretty sure now I know why I got mixed up on what file was what because I probably had the rom name one thing and the eng or what ever other pc36 file was and probably mistaken it for another file I should have probably used a another one instead lol but now I know what guide I deff should use now thanks for all your help man really appreciate everything

Great idea, I will update the FAQ with definitions for recovery & hboot. No problem, I just hope everything gets straightened out for you!

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Haha nooo problema you are the bomb but once you go and do up date the thread it will be the hot to root for slow who want to try and root there evos lol j/p but there will be no way I could mess up now lol thanks for the great guide but I got a new evo after the total melt down lol but I still got jerked cuz its a 2.02 hboot with hardware 003 and fresh old update 3.30.651.3 but can use the universal autoroot updated guide right using the top part for newer phone and if I follow that sort by step I should be good right and what Rom do you perfer for a new to evo but not to roming person that likes mega speed overclock and stable and totally customizable Rom do you think would be good to flash of course its personal preference but just post the link for what ever are your favs

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Haha nooo problema you are the bomb but once you go and do up date the thread it will be the hot to root for slow who want to try and root there evos lol j/p but there will be no way I could mess up now lol thanks for the great guide but I got a new evo after the total melt down lol but I still got jerked cuz its a 2.02 hboot with hardware 003 and fresh old update 3.30.651.3 but can use the universal autoroot updated guide right using the top part for newer phone and if I follow that sort by step I should be good right and what Rom do you perfer for a new to evo but not to roming person that likes mega speed overclock and stable and totally customizable Rom do you think would be good to flash of course its personal preference but just post the link for what ever are your favs

Yeah, just follow the guide and make sure you use the right software for what you have.

As far as roms, I think the AC rom is great if you don't want to get too far away from the stock experience and it's very fast. It really is a personal decision.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Alrighty will do thanks for the recommendation on the Rom I have been using z4root for the mean time just to use as a temp right now for like cachemate and a few other things but could you tell a person like me why or for some annoying reason I just want to ask this dumb question lol why can I use temp root with z4root and it not root my phone completely like all other phone and that be that I know it says don't unlock nand devices but why can I use temp and it not break my phone but what happens if I did full root and not have to worry about it rebooting on me and having to apply again? When saying that will that really hurt the phone? And my hunch is if I did I would permanently jack my phone up when trying to root it right that's if I use the full root cuz it sounds easy but why can't I just get superuser and busybox and and put the first moving file commands using the phone and then put the files I need on the sdcard tell the phone to boot bootloader flash the pc36 files I need on being recovery file and the other being the Rom and when flashing or pushing the files thru terminal app its like push amon ra bla bla then you type reboot recovery and van you got recovery and then make a nand the wipe a flash the Rom file like other phone sorry about all the questions I just know the other easy roots like the back of my hand but why can't we get a recovery like the other phone instead of having to push the command on a pc instead of using terminal app cuz it like the same thing but I have to flash the file thru bootloader the first time then getting to a red screen then telling my pc to put the damn thing in recovery manually? Sorry for the crazy post just had a flash back theory lol on why I couldnt and how my it might be able to get done easier cuz the terminal app let's me get Su but I just don't remember how to get into shell using the terminal app and adb don't recognize the command I forgot if there was something else I used to move the files that is used in the how to root this is the frontier root method the command is like adb push local/bla bla but original could the would be easy

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow didn't realize it was such a big post lol sorry i saw this just a little while ago and i know its old but can the principles still apply just to get full root with out having to constantly re use z4root to get temp root could we get full root? But could you let me know where to get this miracle file please lol

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This actually was a old root method on android centrals website but can we still use this method on just applying a newer pc36 file and getting full root access by flashing a Rom look at this page

http://www.androidcentral.com/evo-4g-root-instructions

Yeah, it really depends on the version you're coming from, using z4 is cool if you don't need to flash ROMs and just want root without nand unlock.

Just phones that updated to hboot 2.10 on the latest OTA can't have their hboots written too, even with s-off, it's OK cause you can still do what you have to do but makes the root process more complicated.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Ya but could I download a just root Rom and name the file pc36 bla bla and flash it in hboot with my hboot firmware and just get full root or no just wanted to ask and if I use z4root full root that won't work right just want to get those ******ed questions up and out there so just in case people wanted to know just like me

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
It's a new phone stock no update just the new hboot 2.02 cuz thats what there shipping them with :-( I updated last time this time I didn't touch a dam thing lol till I get my hands on my brothers laptop and use the new guide here lol

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
But if I could put a pc36 file on The new evo like the old guied shows just to get root access instead of z4root I could work with that for now you know but if I can I don't know where or what file I would download?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
But if I could put a pc36 file on The new evo like the old guied shows just to get root access instead of z4root I could work with that for now you know but if I can I don't know where or what file I would download?

You can't get root by just putting a PC36IMG.zip on your phone, if you wanted to just take care of some things I'd use z4root.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh ya I was just trying to get the I wish it was that easy dumb questions out of the way lol thanks can't wait to get s laptop and have another go at this rooting but.I sorta could wait you saw why lol but if something happens again I'm dumb and the I will resort to begging a friend to switch a new evo for a older hardware from release day and I would be able to cheat lol plus she don't now how valuable her phone is to an eager hacker but its always a pain give a brand new evo up just to get a well sorta protected one but has hacking glory written all over it haha thanks man you've been s big help to the community ;-) glad to deff have you around

wcdove24

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've done the steps numerous times. When I get to the z4root part in step 4a, the steps say do a temporary root, but the only option that the app gives me is root. Once I press the button is goes through a cycle then says applying root and restarting. It will fully restart but when I continue on to the next step I get the dollar sign. The steps say that I should come to white screen and then it will say temp root was a sucess. I have yet to see that screen.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Finally I have root access thank you lord lol it was sooooooo easy and was alot better this time around now on to the Roms what a great gift to your self its like giving your self a new phone everyday haha officially used the hboot 2.02. Universal auto root guide really easy to use trust I just broke my first evo 4 days ago and just got another one really happy great work everyone working on these rooting guides

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've done the steps numerous times. When I get to the z4root part in step 4a, the steps say do a temporary root, but the only option that the app gives me is root. Once I press the button is goes through a cycle then says applying root and restarting. It will fully restart but when I continue on to the next step I get the dollar sign. The steps say that I should come to white screen and then it will say temp root was a sucess. I have yet to see that screen.

You need to get z4root 1.3 it sounds like you are on an early version.

The right version will have a button for temp root.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2