Clockword recovery with 2.02 hboot

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok... so I got my replacement today and of course just as I feared it's got the 2.02 hboot. Which means I'm gonna have to use unrevoked forever. NOT happy about that at ALLLLL... To make it worse I just read that you can't use Clockwork Recovery with the root method for the 2.02 hboot?! THIS SUCKS! Has this changed at all? Anyone know of a way? Not happy at all right now...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Will it make you feel better if i start a , you know you're from jersey when: for example,, when you remember what it was like running down seaside hights beach without catching hep C :)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok... so quick question, unless I'm reading this wrong... I can't use custom kernels???

You can - what it looks like, and I say that because there's a lot of "speculative" threads and then threads with details and then tested things, it's hard to sort out really. What it looks like is EVOs with 2.02+ hboots have slightly different sized recovery and boot partitions, so the boot would effect some kernels. It's probably why after downgrading to hboot .76, you can't load a rom without re-installing it through recovery. (edit: this is what I tested today, on 003 hardware my partitions did in fact change with the installation of hboot 2.10) So it really depends on the kernel and if it will fit in to boot.

If I were you, I would root with this: [ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v1.9.4 (12/22/10) - xda-developers

Then once you're up and rooted, I would downgrade my hboot to .76 or .97 or something more friendly, install clockwork if that's your favorite right after that via a PC36IMG.zip file then I'd boot right to recovery, erase all user data, format boot, system, cache, sd-ext, data, dalvik and then I'd install whatever rom you wanted to.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
You can - what it looks like, and I say that because there's a lot of "speculative" threads and then threads with details and then tested things, it's hard to sort out really. What it looks like is EVOs with 2.02+ hboots have slightly different sized recovery and boot partitions, so the boot would effect some kernels. It's probably why after downgrading to hboot .76, you can't load a rom without re-installing it through recovery. (edit: this is what I tested today, on 003 hardware my partitions did in fact change with the installation of hboot 2.10) So it really depends on the kernel and if it will fit in to boot.

If I were you, I would root with this: [ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v1.9.4 (12/22/10) - xda-developers

Then once you're up and rooted, I would downgrade my hboot to .76 or .97 or something more friendly, install clockwork if that's your favorite right after that via a PC36IMG.zip file then I'd boot right to recovery, erase all user data, format boot, system, cache, sd-ext, data, dalvik and then I'd install whatever rom you wanted to.

Can't use it even if i wanted to.... I'm running Ubuntu :\ Also... I may be nuts but I'd rather do it the long way through ABD so I can learnt his method just in case i have to do it again in the future or help someone out

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Alright, then I'd do this:

[ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - Root! The Final Frontier Edition - Upd. 12.21.10 - xda-developers

Then once you have S-OFF:

[GUIDE] HBOOT 2.10(.02 -?)[</3] Got you Down? - Get 0.76[<3] Back! - xda-developers (I'm ready to throw out the 003/004 disclaimer on that after testing today but if you're 004 it's something to keep in mind I guess, but if you're 003 then no sweat, that's what I have)

Then hook up with the clockworkmod recovery file: http://koush.tandtgaming.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.1-supersonic.img (that's at koush's site, i renamed it recovery.img to make life easier when I downloaded it)

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

then format everything in recovery.

it's a shame htc locked their hboot like this, I mean, we at least used to have rooting choices ya know.

scrubcst

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
i bought a newer one and gave my old one to my wife and this new 0004 and 2.02 is a pain to deal with, you will have to be cautious when flashing. Some Roms will fail and will require you to erase all data, or factory reset, I keep a pc36img in at all times JUST in case something happenes, and also, nand restore doesnt always work, which is a horrible let down.

EdiT: Im currently running MYN and had a success (once) of running Cyanogen 6.1.1 so there is that, but once you get a rom try to stick with it for a while, you dont have the liberty of flashing like crazy like you can on the older versions.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow what a pain in the ass I'm just going to stay away from Clockworks recovery for a while till this gets sorted out. I had my EVO locked up for about an hour the other day after messing arguing with ROM manager.

Sucks,
Dave

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
i bought a newer one and gave my old one to my wife and this new 0004 and 2.02 is a pain to deal with, you will have to be cautious when flashing. Some Roms will fail and will require you to erase all data, or factory reset, I keep a pc36img in at all times JUST in case something happenes, and also, nand restore doesnt always work, which is a horrible let down.

EdiT: Im currently running MYN and had a success (once) of running Cyanogen 6.1.1 so there is that, but once you get a rom try to stick with it for a while, you dont have the liberty of flashing like crazy like you can on the older versions.

Wow what a pain in the ass I'm just going to stay away from Clockworks recovery for a while till this gets sorted out. I had my EVO locked up for about an hour the other day after messing arguing with ROM manager.

Sucks,
Dave

It really isn't clockwork as much as it's the hboot, if you stick with a newer hboot and want to use clockwork that's fine, just make sure to wipe boot also.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Just out of curiosity - have you tried to downgrade your hboot?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Well... I forgot that my girlfriends computer has Windows... SOOO I'm gonna use that automated one. Don't have the patience anymore. I've been stock since Sunday and I can't take it anymore lol... I just wanna root again damn it! hope it works..

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Update: Worked perfect! Only took about 15 minutes and everything worked perfect. I'm not gonna do the downgrade of the hboot tonight, I'll do it tomorrow probably. In the meantime I'd like to flash Vaeleks latest beta. I read that for newer hboots I have to flash "newkernel.zip" after flashing a ROM. Few questions.. One.. I can't find that actual file anywhere. Two, do I have to do that EVERY time I flash a ROM? Three, is it safe to flash kernels now with that root method? Four, when I downgrade the hboot, would the 3 previous questions not matter anymore?

Update2: Ok... so apparently the newkernel.zip is actually just the htckernel#17. So I'm good with that.. Only question now ties into my question previously asked... can I use custom kernels? Or am I stuck with the stock #17? Or I have to flash the ROM, flash that kernel, boot up... then flash the custom kernel?

Update3: Well I've flashed a bunch of custom kernels and so far no problems. Looks like my Evo is even more o/c friendly than my first Evo Either way, things going great so far. Definitely plan on downgrading the hboot tho..

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Update: Worked perfect! Only took about 15 minutes and everything worked perfect. I'm not gonna do the downgrade of the hboot tonight, I'll do it tomorrow probably. In the meantime I'd like to flash Vaeleks latest beta. I read that for newer hboots I have to flash "newkernel.zip" after flashing a ROM. Few questions.. One.. I can't find that actual file anywhere. Two, do I have to do that EVERY time I flash a ROM? Three, is it safe to flash kernels now with that root method? Four, when I downgrade the hboot, would the 3 previous questions not matter anymore?

Update2: Ok... so apparently the newkernel.zip is actually just the htckernel#17. So I'm good with that.. Only question now ties into my question previously asked... can I use custom kernels? Or am I stuck with the stock #17? Or I have to flash the ROM, flash that kernel, boot up... then flash the custom kernel?

Update3: Well I've flashed a bunch of custom kernels and so far no problems. Looks like my Evo is even more o/c friendly than my first Evo Either way, things going great so far. Definitely plan on downgrading the hboot tho..

This is all for EVOs with hardware version 004, if you don't use the latest kernel your camera won't work. I know most of the popular ROMs based on Sense are already updated so it shouldn't be much of a problem. You may run in to issues if you boot with up CM6.x though I'm not sure how generic his driver is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781