Looking to reverse

andyt3

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. I've installed Z4 and Titanium backup and have been uninstalling some apps. I'm starting to see some adverse effects, like constantly syncing accounts, so I'd like to reverse what I've done. Only issue is that I installed the free version of backup so its telling me it only backed up my most current app. Is there something I can do to get my phone back to the way it was before I started doing any of this?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. I've installed Z4 and Titanium backup and have been uninstalling some apps. I'm starting to see some adverse effects, like constantly syncing accounts, so I'd like to reverse what I've done. Only issue is that I installed the free version of backup so its telling me it only backed up my most current app. Is there something I can do to get my phone back to the way it was before I started doing any of this?

You can run a RUU (rom update utility) that will revert your phone to stock.

However have you tried restoring the backup of the apps you do have?

andyt3

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really sure how to. They show up as tar.gz files on my memory card and when I try to open them, it doesn't know what to open them with.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what my most recent backed up app was. I deleted quite a few.

Hm, well if you backedup the apps before you deleted them then restoring them should be just fine.

Actually if you backed them up whenever and then deleted them, restoring them will be better than not having them, if they have updates just go to the market and it will tell you to install the updates.

If you didn't create a backup of an app that you deleted the process can be a bit more involved.

andyt3

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I know for a fact I used Titanium to backup each app I deleted. All those backed up apps show up as tar.gz (?) files on my memory card, but when I tap on them, a menu pops up saying it doesn't know which app to use to install the files.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I know for a fact I used Titanium to backup each app I deleted. All those backed up apps show up as tar.gz (?) files on my memory card, but when I tap on them, a menu pops up saying it doesn't know which app to use to install the files.

You have to open titanium then go to backup/restore at the top, click on the app and hit restore

andyt3

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't work for me. Titanium doesn't give me the option to restore the deleted apps. It says "my maximum backup history is 1. Any new backup would remove your oldest backup". I tried using the RUU to unroot, but it doesn't work saying I don't have the correct version. Pretty much at a loss right now.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't work for me. Titanium doesn't give me the option to restore the deleted apps. It says "my maximum backup history is 1. Any new backup would remove your oldest backup". I tried using the RUU to unroot, but it doesn't work saying I don't have the correct version. Pretty much at a loss right now.

Alright, what is your current software version? Don't worry we'll get you back to stock at least and then hit up the how to remove sprint bloatware thread.

From the home screen go to menu settings about phone software information

Reactions: andyt3

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Alright then, what we're about to do will completely erase your phone, while you still have titanium and z4root installled I suggest you backup any apps that you want to save progress on, like levels in angry birds for example.

there's apps in the market to backup your sms messages to your gmail account if you want to save those

double check that your contacts are stored in your google account and not just on your phone so you don't have to re enter them, you can check by logging in to gmail on your desktop or via the phone's browser and going to contacts.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Alright !

Index of /evo/stock/RUU/ on that page download the file:

RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.exe

(this is a large file, about 180MB)

Then turn on USB debugging on your phone (home menu settings applications development, checkbox for usb debugging)

then attach the phone to your PC and run the exe

what will happen now is that file will restore phone to factory, when you get back up and running follow this guide for removing the software you don't want and always make sure a backup exists before you delete a file:http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-roms-hacks/49333-how-stay-stock-get-rid-bloat.html

andyt3

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Do I have to do the shut down - restart in fast boot mode?

Well in the process, my battery dropped below 30%, so I'll go charge up and get back to you.

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Do I have to do the shut down - restart in fast boot mode?

Na, not usually the exe file and the phone will work out when it needs to reboot, just turn on usb debugging and start the program and it should do the rest for you by itself. It'll tell you when it's done then pick it up and set it up again.

I suggest removing the bloatware first next time around so if there's some epic meltdown and you have to RUU again at least you won't have to re-do all the account stuff.

andyt3

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ahh, good news! Finally... haha.

It seems to have taken that file, and all seems well again. Looks like it did when I pulled it out of the box last week. Thanks for all your help! I think I'm going to stay stock for a while, haha.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ahh, good news! Finally... haha.

It seems to have taken that file, and all seems well again. Looks like it did when I pulled it out of the box last week. Thanks for all your help! I think I'm going to stay stock for a while, haha.

I'm glad it worked out for you, next just make sure you make a backup of the app, remove it and can re-install it - try a test first ya know.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers