ROMs, Apps, Wow.....

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
So i have just recently Rooted my Evo, so far i'm pretty happy with it, i love the free wireless tethering. (Screw you sprint.... nickel and diming me....) i have seen a variety of ROMS and apps. im currently running the sprint lovers ROM, and want to change it up. i have a couple questions:

1: Do Different ROMs look different on your phone? i know they have different features, but idk if they look different.

2: what are the best Apps to download now that i am rooted? (Looking for a good FREE Over/Underclocking app for sure.)

3. can you install any theme on any ROM? or do certain themes only work for certain ROMs.

4. In your opinion what is your favorite ROM, and favorite Root Required App?

i know alot of the time the ROMs you can run is based off of your phone specs so here is what i got:

SOFTWARE INFORMATION:

Android Version:

Baseband Version:

Kernel Version:
2.6.32.17-gee557fd
htc-kernel@and18-2 #15

Build number:
3.70.651.1 CL294884 release-keys

Software number

Browser version
Webkit 3.1

PRI version
1.90_003

PRL Version

HARDWARE INFORMATION:

Hardware Version:

Wi-Fi MAC address:
Unavailable

Bluetooth address:
Unavailable

4G MAC address:
Unavailable

Thats all the information i got.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So i have just recently Rooted my Evo, so far i'm pretty happy with it, i love the free wireless tethering. (Screw you sprint.... nickel and diming me....) i have seen a variety of ROMS and apps. im currently running the sprint lovers ROM, and want to change it up. i have a couple questions:

1: Do Different ROMs look different on your phone? i know they have different features, but idk if they look different.

2: what are the best Apps to download now that i am rooted? (Looking for a good FREE Over/Underclocking app for sure.)

3. can you install any theme on any ROM? or do certain themes only work for certain ROMs.

4. In your opinion what is your favorite ROM, and favorite Root Required App?

i know alot of the time the ROMs you can run is based off of your phone specs so here is what i got:

Thats all the information i got.

Different ROMs can look different for sure, some ROMs are theme capable, some aren't. You can look at Myn's warm rom compared to the plain look of cyanogenmod to see some stark differences.

The best app for CPU control is called SetCPU, you can set native speeds as well as profiles (screen off speed, charging spped, etc)

You can not install any theme on any rom, check out this thread for more details: EVO 4G Themes and Apps - xda-developers (and more ideas!)

There are several root apps that are must haves: setCPU, Rom Manager, Root Explorer, Titanium Backup

Your phones hardware/software is fine to pretty much run anything out there.

Reactions: Michael.reese2010

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ah, Michael, that's a tough one, I have to say I really like running CM6.1.1 w/the iNexus 6.1 theme with liquid battery & gingerbread menu additions - LOL quite a mouthful.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
You should install ROM Manager for sure. This app makes installing a new ROM very easy. the free version has limitations (as most free versions do) but still a must have. as you are hunting around for ROMs, make sure you check out the XDA Developers forums, you will find all the ROMs your heart desires and all the technical info you need to get them running. I just loaded the Cyanogen6 ROM, which runs a vanilla version of froyo (no HTC Sense UI). I am liking it a lot. I am going to give a few more ROMs out to see which one I like best. You might want to try a few and decide for yourself what you prefer.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Myn's.
Gotta love it.

It doesn't perform as well on benchmarks but it's SMOOOTH.
On top of that, it is themed. It is so well themed that Gingerbread looks like it is copying Myn's ROM.

The only thing I didn't like on CM6 was battery life. It obviously might have been updated lately to have better battery life though.

Anyway, try Myn's sometime. You will NOT regret it.
It's like having all the benefits of Sense plus a classy/crisp theme with screen animations, smooth experience, and thousands of custom addons. I have never had such a great time with my phone.

I've always had some gripe with Roms. With Fresh/Baked Snack it was the ugliness of Sense with almost no visual appeal and choppy scrolling. With CM it was battery life. With Myn's I haven't been able to complain.
So yeah... try it out.

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the battery life take a hit on CM6. I have the Seido 3500 battery and was barely getting a day on the battery versus 2 days on stock. Just installed Myn's today and already notice a difference. It's a very smooth ROM! I do like the quiet time hours on CM6..that is a great feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49