Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by GNemes View Post
    Thank you again for your very prompt reply!! I'm so impressed with all you folks on Android Central!

Sorry I missed your explanation of updates in your guide. So many guides to read that I'm not sure what I've read where ....

I'm off to give this a go this evening! Wish me luck -- gotta work all weekend and need a working phone with me at all times!

<gulp>
    No problem.

You dont need luck, thats for people that dont know what they're doing
    Dont hesitate to post in the rooting sticky if you get stuck, fred knows his stuff and can help ya out.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

Well fudge ... I have to work tonight now. Drat. Looks like this'll have to wait until Monday or so. Dang it!

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Default updating prl

I am new to android and rooting. I have rooted my phone is it ok to update prl?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Yep
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

ROM
    ICS blazer ROM

Can I root without using a computer? I did with my eris by flashing everything from recovery. Just wondering if it is the same or similar...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

No, a computer is needed.

Default Re: [Info/Guide] Rooting FAQ and General information.

Let me apologize in advance for the extremely basic question. I received a replacement Evo from Sprint and it had the Super user Permission app that looks like a Ninja. I determined that I have root access but I do not think it is full. How do I know and how do I determine what method was used?

Thank you in advance

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmyevo4g View Post
    Let me apologize in advance for the extremely basic question. I received a replacement Evo from Sprint and it had the Super user Permission app that looks like a Ninja. I determined that I have root access but I do not think it is full. How do I know and how do I determine what method was used?

Thank you in advance
    There are a couple of things to see if you are properly rooted. Run an app that requires root or you can use this Root Checker by Joey Krim.

Look at the bootloader screen to see if it says S-OFF or if it has the eng. hboot .76.2.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeCrawler View Post
    There are a couple of things to see if you are properly rooted. Run an app that requires root or you can use this Root Checker by Joey Krim.

Look at the bootloader screen to see if it says S-OFF or if it has the eng. hboot .76.2.
    Thanks for the fast response,
    I have root access according to root checker and can load apps for rooted devices. However, when I go to the boot loader screen it says S-ON, thats where my confusion started.

Here's what the boot loader says:
    SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-2.1-.0001
    MICROP-041f
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
    RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
    Oct 15 2010, 12:07:00

If that helps

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmyevo4g View Post
    Thanks for the fast response,
    I have root access according to root checker and can load apps for rooted devices. However, when I go to the boot loader screen it says S-ON, thats where my confusion started.

Here's what the boot loader says:
    SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-2.1-.0001
    MICROP-041f
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
    RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
    Oct 15 2010, 12:07:00

If that helps
    I try to help out the best I can, but I'm actually very short on time right now. Give igotsanevo4g a pm or fred and they can figure which file to tell you to use. Sorry couldn't be more help, but going out with the family for dinner has higher priority.

You have a rootable hboot. 2.10. Just need to check which software you have.You can use Freds guide if need be. It seems like all the previous owner did was turn S back on. Which mean you'll have to use some of the steps in the rooting guide to push a custom recovery on so you can flash the s-off tool again.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

bump

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI/ tiamat 4.1 w/sbc

I downloaded revolutionary and am trying to figure out which version of HBoot I have. I have the serial number of my phone (hope I can figure out which O's are numbers or letters.... tyvm HTC ....lol) but each time I run revolutionary, it opens what appears to be a dos window an disappears before I can go any further. What am I doing wrong?

ROM
    Cyanogen 7.1/ Tiamat 4.1

I rooted my phone and everything seems in order but I don't have root access . To me it seems the problem is in superuser. I don't know what I'm missing. Maybe I'm overlooking something. Thank-you

ROM
    Cyanogen 7.1/ Tiamat 4.1

Figure it out. Outdated SU binary installed with root where it could not be uninstalled. Downloaded appropriate binary update from androidsu.com. Thanks for the informative reading though.Happy Holidays to all.
    Thanked by:
    jharo 

Does rooting with Revolutionary wipe any of your data? I've never done this before, so I'm a little hesitant. Would really like to root, though!

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by dlinden29 View Post
    Does rooting with Revolutionary wipe any of your data? I've never done this before, so I'm a little hesitant. Would really like to root, though!
    No it doesn't.

ive been searching for literally hours and havent found an answer i can decypher so i hope the answer to this question wasnt hiding in plain sight:
    I had my HTC EVO 4G ( flashed over from sprint to Ntelos, if i root my phone will it screw with my data or voice service? or anything else for that matter?
    im about to just try it and if it screws something up then oh well
    What made me think about this was when i started doing the s-off/root steps (revolutionary) i noticed that my hboot is 2.18.0001( and they only have 2.15.0001 and 2.16.0001 to choose from) so i stopped immediately and began doing more research. if it wont mess with anything to root my phone how do i get the right beta key if my bootloader version isnt what it should be?

Thanks in advance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12