[Info/Guide] Rooting FAQ and General information.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So you just got your Evo 4G, and your reading all this crazy stuff about rooting, rom-ing, "jailbreaking", free tethering, and kernels (Not the corn type). Now your thinking what the HELL is this stuff? Why should i do it? Why shouldnt i do it? Pros/Cons? Life-death?
After searching, you cant find anything in non-tech speak so you give up, and/or wander the forums in ignorant bliss.

Well, this is my attempt to explain it (or alot of it) in the english language instead of tech speak.

Ill be writing this as an evo specific guide although a lot of it is usable for most other devices so, if anyone would like to use it as a template or steal anything, to make a different device specific guide, or a general one. PLEASE DO! :)

Here are some great informative links, you should read these before reading this any further. Although ill still go over the stuff.
Rooting FAQ general.
Set up ADB
General Rom FAQ/Your phones internal system.
Android dictionary, AKA, the bible for new androiders.

At least skim through those, it'll help ya out alot.

So i'll just get right into it.

What is "rooting"?
Its gaining the ability to do whatever youd like to your phones software/hardware controls, with great power comes great responsibility ;) Flash a different rom, underclock, overclock, screen pixel density, and free tethering to name a few goodies.

Why should i root my evo (or any android phone)?
Well, first of all rooting itself does nothing. Except give you "root directory" access to your phone. So why should you get this access? To install custom roms, get free tethering, get outstanding battery by using smart underclocking, overclock if you feel the need for speed, remove the bloat, get updates faster, and.... Need i go on?

Is it safe? Does it void my warranty?
As with any software tampering, bad things CAN happen. But do they? In my experience no. If worst comes to worst, you can Run an RUU from fastboot to restore your system. YES it will void your warranty, NO it is not permanently voided - You can restore it to factory unrooted settings to file an insurance claim, take it in, sell it, whatever.

How do i root my Evo 4G?
Root with revolutionary, an awesome tool! How too root your evo on gingerbread with revolutionary!
Well fred made an awesome GUIDE :D <-Pre 2.3 method

How do i know if im rooted?
Simple, download terminal emulator from the market. Enter "su" and enter, if it says # youre rooted, if it says $ youre not rooted. You should know if your rooted anyways, the superuser app will be installed and root-requiring apps will work.

Okay, im rooted! What now?
youre going to want to flash a custom rom, trust me its wayyyy better, but make sure you back-up your stuff though! A full wipe will most likely be needed!

What about unrooting? I gotta take my phone in.
This thread OR This method at xda. Either will achieve the same result. Unrooting is actually easier then rooting.

What is an RUU?
Its a program ran from your PC that you run while your phone is connected and the appropriate drivers installed, that will erase your phone and restore it to factory settings. Sprint cannot tell you were ever rooted.

What is a rom?
A rom is your phones system basically, it will have your kernel/system apps/and everything else needed for your phone to tick. For instance, when your unrooted your running the stock, unrooted sprint rom.

What is a kernel?
No, its not those brown things in the bottom of the pop-corn bag. Its a piece of your phones system that controls your phones hardware and transfers information from apps/system workings to the hardware. For instance when you get a Facebook notification and your phone rings and vibrates - What has happened is the app said to the kernel, that told the vibration motor and speaker to sound off. Make sense? haha. This kernel is based off of the linux kernel, for those familiar.

What is a nandroid backup?
A nandroid backup is a copied freeze frame of your phones current system. It backs up EVERYTHING, your rom, apps, and personal data. These are life savers, say you flash a bogas rom or kernel and your phone starts freaking out! No worries boot into recovery and restore the nandroid backup you made prior to flashing. These cannot be used to restore apps/personal data to your new rom after a wipe-its all or nothing.

How do i make a nandroid backup?
Boot into recovery->backup> nandroid backup. Or from rom manager to do that automatically.

How to back up apps/data/contacts?
To back up your contacts, just make sure they are synced to your gmail account, and just in case, export em to your SD card by entering your contacts app (people) hit menu and export. Now for your apps/data, you have 2 options. App brain will sync with the apps you have and after you wipe, you download appbrain and reinstall your apps from the market OR titanium backup which backs up apps AND data like game levels etc. But the thing with titanium being that whatever you backed up on the previous rom might not gel so good with whats in your new one, so problems could arise-serious and not serious. I suggest doing both types, appbrain just in case (its a cloud service anyways) and titanium if you just gotta have those angry birds levels! haha. I only use appbrain, i dont like risks of that nature. Haha.

How do i wipe? How do i install roms?
Boot into recovery and it will give you options to do so basically, yeah its that simple. But hey, a picture is worth a thousand words so heres a video! (How many words is a video worth? Must be alot..) A Jerzyiroc production, how to wipe and how to flash roms and kernels.

What is "recovery"?
While it might be one of eminem's greatest albums, in the world of android (and linux sorta) its a sort of "behind the scenes menu" where you can install things with the phone not actually booted into the rom. Its used to flash roms, kernels, and themes on your phone. Every phone model has different buttons to boot into it, a google search will help ya out. For the evo, turn the phone off and press vol down+Power and it will dump ya into the bootloader, from there scroll with the volume buttons to recovery and hit power to select. You will need a custom recovery to flash stuff to your phone (Amon_ra or Clockworkmod)

What is Hboot/Fastboot?
More behind the scenes menus to boot into - Fast boot = Volume up+power / Hboot = Volume Down + power.

Whats the difference between cache/dalvik/data wipes?
Data is more like a factory reset (LOSE apps/data), cache wipes your apps/phones saved up cache that it uses to load stuff thats been loaded before a lil faster (keep apps/personal data), and dalvik is a special type of wipe used mostly to install kernels (keep apps/data). When you hear full wipe, it means wipe ALL 3.

What is Flashing?
Flashing means installing to your phone, usually through recovery.

What is ADB?
Android Debug Bridge. Its the ability to control your phone through the command prompt on your PC, this is VERY useful. Link at the top to set ADB up.

What is/How do i - Under/overclock?
Under/Overclocking is changing the (clock) speed of your processor, this can save you lots of battery, or speed it up and destroy your battery, while making your phone hella fast. For instance, the evo runs at 998mhz (1ghz) stock, i have it running at 998-1190mhz while my screen is on and then 245mhz while my screen is off. This save me TONs of battery and gives me more speed to boot! Comprende amigos?
To control your clock speed, i recommend SetCpu from the market. The app is great, the dev is great and the results are great. Oh and the price is great too, i think its only 1$

Free wireless tethering?
Get Youre FREE tethering/hotspotting on!

Whats the best rom?
PURELY personal opinion. But there are some front runners, such as Cyanogen, Myn's warm two point two, vaelpak, and LOTS more found HERE.

Where can i get themes from?
Right here, instrctions to flash the theme will usually be in the thread. Most of the time, a cache wipe and then flash as normal is all thats needed.

What about OTA updates from sprint!?
EVERY TIME an ota update is pushed from sprint/HTC everyone wants to know "OMG how do i unroot so i can update?" THERE IS NO NEED TO UNROOT. In fact, you can probably get the update before its even pushed too you by checking XDA Dev forum. It will undoubtedly be there packaged in ROM form, hell i had the last 3.70 ota on my phone a full day before it was pushed!

Removing bloat and OTA's
If you decide to root and not flash a custom rom in order to get OTA updates, keep in mind that you will NOT get an OTA update if you remove any bloat. But, why worry about OTA's? You can get the OTA packaged in rom form almost immediately. If your still not ready to flash stuff, but want to do something about the bloat, use bloat freezer or titanium backup premium to freeze the apps.

How do i un-install a rom?
You dont, if you uninstall a rom you will be formatting your system partition and therefore have no phone to boot into, you could only boot into bootloader/fastboot/recovery until you flash a rom. That being said, when you flash a rom it will automatically format(erase) you system partition and replace it with the rom you just installed - Dont forget to wipe tho, it doesnt auto-wipe your personal data/apps etc.

What is "cyanogen"?
Youve probably heard alot of talk about it. Its a rom built from source with other awesome goodies that... well ill let the cyanogen mod site fill you in. CyanogenMod Site!

What is/How do i use Rom manager?
Its an AWESOME tool that does a lot of the work automatically instead of manually such as: Downloading and installing roms, flashing different/new recoveries, fixing permissions, and auto flashing roms or anything on the SD card.

To use it just grab it from the market (i bought the pro version WORTH it), and to download roms just hit download rom->pick one and it will download it and give you options to wipe/backup. Or you can hit flash rom from SD->it will skip the downloading and flash the .zip. You can flash any .zip this way.

Is (insert something here) erased after a wipe?
SO, when you do a data wipe through recovery it will erase your personall data and apps, a cache wipe erases app/system cache.
Doing a wipe will NOT delete themes, kernels, and most mods.
That being said, if you want to get rid of a theme/kernel/mod, an easy way to do it is to just wipe cache and reflash the rom youre running. When you install a new rom, it will format the "rom" partition and put it back to normal, including the kernel. When flashing a kernel, it deletes the previous one automatically and replaces it.

How do i...
When in doubt, look at the stickies. If its not there, post it here and ill answer it or make a thread. :)

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
More to come, if you have a question just ask it and it'll be up there ASAP! I'll also add more as i think of em ;)

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I understand ive repeated whats named and listed elsewhere on these forums, ive just tried to make it a little more non-techie friendly.

I'll be adding to it daily / as i think of more too.

Enjoy ;)

Last edited:

matobinder

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Ah, you answered all my questions, but one. Thanks though. Lots of terms I didn't know.

Last one that I still can't figure out, been searching for it to no avail.

What is RvU?

jrvjr

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Rerooting

Ive seen some poeple post that they have rooted their phones a couple of times, is this somehting normal? My understadning is that once rooted, your good to go. Im i wrong?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ive seen some poeple post that they have rooted their phones a couple of times, is this somehting normal? My understadning is that once rooted, your good to go. Im i wrong?

If you root your phone but then get a replacement or accept a Sprint/HTC software update you'll have to re-root. It's not typical but some people have to do it.

jrvjr

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
ok, thanks. I was just curious. Does anyone know a way of exporting or saving you phone calendar? Like to your google account or Outlook?

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
No....(shameful face)...Ive been placing them on the phone...i know, im kicking myself in the rear for that.

You can try HTC Sync to get it synced with Outlook. Once the calendar is in Outlook, export your calendar and import into Google.

Good luck.

auspuh

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
Thank you for awsome explanation. Been looking for days on different forums for answers, now finally got it. But still have few;
# if i root phone with certain app and later for some reason want to root with another is it possible to do that; does different rooting apps have different feauteres
# still not sure if(how) i can backup apps already installed on the phone memory. does the titanium backup app do it
# when i got my root access, how could i install ALL apps on my SD, maybe with yet another app?
# how do i flash new ROM, with some kind of a program using my PC and USB cable, or install it from SD
Well, for you those questions may look bit silly, but i am new on android and i have to begin somehow.
Thank you, bye

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi!
Thank you for awsome explanation. Been looking for days on different forums for answers, now finally got it. But still have few;
# if i root phone with certain app and later for some reason want to root with another is it possible to do that; does different rooting apps have different feauteres
# still not sure if(how) i can backup apps already installed on the phone memory. does the titanium backup app do it
# when i got my root access, how could i install ALL apps on my SD, maybe with yet another app?
# how do i flash new ROM, with some kind of a program using my PC and USB cable, or install it from SD
Well, for you those questions may look bit silly, but i am new on android and i have to begin somehow.
Thank you, bye

No question is a dumb question (mostly ;) ) Welcome to AC!

1- When you root, it wont be with an app, and once youre rooted, there is no "better" root or anything. Its a yes or no type of deal, your either rooted, or not rooted.

2- To backup your apps once your rooted, titanium backup will back them up to the SD card. To back them up before youre rooted, use app-brain from the market, it will allow you to re-download all the apps you have.

3- Yep, using an Apps2SD script and setting up a partition on your SD card will allow you to run all your apps from the SD card. Except for your system apps.

4- To flash it, your phone does not have to be connected to anything. Put the rom on your SD card, boot into recovery, find it on your SD card and flash it from there.

Just let me know if i need to explain anything else, or i wasnt clear with the answers above

auspuh

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
This sure was a fast reply igotsanevo4g ! As I said, I was looking for answers that I found in your post for days on other forums. Unfortunately it's getting very late and I have to go to work in the morning so it'll have to wait until tomorrow after work.
Thank you again, I'll be posting

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi!
This sure was a fast reply igotsanevo4g ! As I said, I was looking for answers that I found in your post for days on other forums. Unfortunately it's getting very late and I have to go to work in the morning so it'll have to wait until tomorrow after work.
Thank you again, I'll be posting

No problem, ill be around :)

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I would put in a note stating that deleting system apps for users on the stock ROM will more than likely prevent them from ever getting an OTA update again. I would suggest freezing with Bloat Freezer or Titanium Backup Premium instead.

Users with custom ROMs, this really isnt an issue.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I would put in a note stating that deleting system apps for users on the stock ROM will more than likely prevent them from ever getting an OTA update again. I would suggest freezing with Bloat Freezer or Titanium Backup Premium instead.

Users with custom ROMs, this really isnt an issue.

Done ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21