Rooting for an android New User

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtfm8

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, I just bought an HTC Evo and want to root it. I'm not incompetent but I would prefer a cohesive and full proof way of rooting it. I chose my side by purchasing a Sony Vaio Z over a macbook pro and now an Evo over an iphone 4.I have been reading up for a week in anticipation of my Evo. I have a few questions that I was hoping you experts can help with. I want to root my phone but definitely keep 4g and all of it's features. I want to root my Evo so I can do free tethering, be able to have extremely customizable layouts and mess with the overclock and underclock features. Can someone please tell me the absolute best way to root(keep in mind it is a new evo). Ive noticed both sides on unevoked , and oher root methods .

wtfm8

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
thnx a lot seems complicated but hopefully I'll get through it, there's a lot of talk of bricking your 4g accidentally, how does that happen?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you mean losing the 4G capabilities of the phone, it is because some methods can cause you to accidentally loose the phones 4G certificates.

If you follow the method above, you will back them up to your SD card before you start messing with the software. If you aren't familiar with Linux / Unix shell commands, you should read through the instructions carefully a few times.

I only had some minor setbacks when following the instructions above, but was able to recover from them.

Reactions: wtfm8

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
thnx a lot seems complicated but hopefully I'll get through it, there's a lot of talk of bricking your 4g accidentally, how does that happen?

just read read read before attempting...its pretty foolproof....and using the method i posted above it gives your the opportunity to backup your 4g keys.

wtfm8

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Great, I will read it several times before attempting

once rooted is there a lot of upkeep, or will it run smoothly and update on its own

i'll root(or attempt that is) prob today or tomorrow , il'' post the good results or epic failure panic 'Help'

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Great, I will read it several times before attempting

once rooted is there a lot of upkeep, or will it run smoothly and update on its own

i'll root(or attempt that is) prob today or tomorrow , il'' post the good results or epic failure panic 'Help'

you update by flashing...after rooting do not accept any OTA (over the air) updates you may receive from sprint...or you will lose root. the rom devs will always update their roms with the updates so you can flash the rom and not lose root.

for me its been pretty smooth...its all about what you like/want/need....theres so many customization options available to make it your own...thats the beauty of it.

good luck and remember we're always here if you run into any problems or pat ya on the back after success! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol