[GUIDE] Return to stock after using Unrevoked Forever

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't used unrevoked forever in your root process you don't have to use this guide and can use the original how to unroot your phone guide here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/19278-how-unroot-return-stock.html

If during your root process you flashed unrevoked-forever.zip or used the Unrevoked program to root your phone then you should follow this guide. In short if you ever had factory software 3.7 or hboot 2.02 on your phone you had to use unrevoked-forever to get a full root.

This guide will return your phone to 3.7 factory software and will restore the HTC security software check.

1. Download some files:

Unrevoked S-ON tool: http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/current/unrevoked-forever-son.zip

HTC RUU (rom update utility) for 3.7 software. Get this file: RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.exe from here: http://goo-inside.me/evo/stock/RUU/

The second file is kind of big, so charge your phone in the mean time.

2. Put unrevoked-forever-son.zip on the root of your sdcard.

3. Reboot your phone in to recovery

4. Install ZIP from sdcard, select unrevoked-forever-son.zip (It may need to reboot to complete the process, if so just hit reboot from the main menu and it will take care of it).

5. When the phone boots back up, make sure it's still connected to your computer and run the RUU exe file you downloaded earlier.

Some times it takes more than a few tries at getting the RUU to connect and run, you can try to re-start your computer or put your phone down in to hboot usb.

When it completes you'll be at factory software version 3.7 with S-ON.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You can also do this all on your phone. Download the s-on tool zip. Download your RUU zip not the exe file. Then have astro or a file manager. Move the s-on zip to the root of the SD card. Reboot into recovery and install zip. Reboot phone and move your RUU zip file to the root of your SD card. Rename it "PC36IMG.zip" Reboot into recovery and it will automaticly find the PC36IMG zip and will load it up. When prompted to install vol up to install it and you are now unrooted.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

HERE IS A UPDATED LINK TO THE STOCK RUU'S AS THE ABOVE ONE IS NO LONGER WORKING

Stock RUU's

Last edited:

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You can also do this all on your phone. Download the s-on tool zip. Download your RUU zip not the exe file. Then have astro or a file manager. Move the s-on zip to the root of the SD card. Reboot into recovery and install zip. Reboot phone and move your RUU zip file to the root of your SD card. Rename it "PC36IMG.zip" Reboot into recovery and it will automaticly find the PC36IMG zip and will load it up. When prompted to install vol up to install it and you are now unrooted.

I did it this way and it does not read the pc36img.zip file. :(

EDIT: I used a little of this method --->http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/19278-how-unroot-return-stock.html and this method. I installed HTC sync and then followed the directions in this thread and it worked. Now I gotta hit up my local sprint store.

Last edited:

awhitt10

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Trying to unroot and for some reason when I attempt to zip the Unrevoked file in recovery I receive a message saying "Can't open/sdcard/unrevoked-forever-son.zip (bad)." i tried re-downloading it however it keeps giving the same message. Any help would be appreciated because my usb is faulty in my phone and I need to get a replacement.

p.s. I used Unrevoked 3 to root.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Trying to unroot and for some reason when I attempt to zip the Unrevoked file in recovery I receive a message saying "Can't open/sdcard/unrevoked-forever-son.zip (bad)." i tried re-downloading it however it keeps giving the same message. Any help would be appreciated because my usb is faulty in my phone and I need to get a replacement.

I am sorry I missed this post, are you still having these issues?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issue pls help

Try a different sd card if it's at all possible. If not, try to format the one you have and re-copy the file over.

turbofan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am having an issue where my phone vibrates intermittently. It was broken for some time, and then I play Zenonia or whatever and it started vibrating normally. Now it comes and goes, seemingly randomly -- whatever I do to fix it once, doesn't work next time. I've done sound manager, I've reflashed my rom, everything.

do you think flashing to the stock RUU and unrooting and starting over will solve my problem?

turbofan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I've tried this process but it's not working. I have tried it several different ways and nothing is working. It won't read the PC36IMG.zip if I do it through recovery, and it won't run the RUU. I got the unrevoked-son thing, and on the bootloader it shows s-on, but I can't do anything else.

Where should I go from here? :(

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i have the RUU software on m computer. along with unrevoked. i DON'T have htc sync installed.

i plug the phone in. execute the RUU. waa laa. phone returned to stock.

i execute the unrevoked. phone is rooted.

i execute the RUU. phone is back to stock. no root. no bootloader.

that's all there is too it. i don't look at the bootloader or anything. 2 peaces of software on the computer. computer does all the work. NOTHING is loaded on the sdcard. NOTHING is flashed from the sd card. ALL done by computer.

can't go wrong. and it can't get any easier.

turbofan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Mac or PC? Is this PC only?

It's spelled voila.

And I'm glad it's so easy for you, clearly it's not so easy for me. for some reason it will not run the RUU. I did the unrevoked-s on thing, and the computer is not running the RUU. Before I would get the USB error before it ever started updating the ROM image. Now it recognizes the and starts to reboot, then says "waiting for bootloader" then I get the USB error. At that point it just reboots normally and sends me back to CM7. I think my computer is probably a POS. :'( Stupid HP computer... Never again...

I'll try a different computer I guess and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

turbofan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I put it in bootloader manually, THEN ran the RUU.exe (something I had done before, but whatever) and it worked.

Didn't fix my vibrate issue, but hey, at least I'm unrooted and have a totally stock phone (not happy).

Off to the Sprint store...

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Should the RUU file be on the SD card or on the PC? I have it on the PC and get the message that the folder is invalid when trying to extract or run the zip file.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Should the RUU file be on the SD card or on the PC? I have it on the PC and get the message that the folder is invalid when trying to extract or run the zip file.

Unless you want to do it on your PC, then you need the .exe file not zip but I prefer it being on my SD card so if Im out and my phone messes up and needs to be taken to sprint, return to stock in the store before I hand my phone in.

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Radio not supported??

I keep gettin "unsupported radio version" when trying to run the unrEVOked-son file.....I tried looking to see what radios were supported and I didn't see mine listed...2.15.00.05.02....any ideas? This is my first evo and I would really like to unroot and start fresh so I can learn as much as I can(that, and I need to take it to the sprint store because of dust under the screen), Am I gonna have to go through the htc sync way of force flashing the stock software? Any help would be appreciated!!

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I keep gettin "unsupported radio version" when trying to run the unrEVOked-son file.....I tried looking to see what radios were supported and I didn't see mine listed...2.15.00.05.02....any ideas? This is my first evo and I would really like to unroot and start fresh so I can learn as much as I can(that, and I need to take it to the sprint store because of dust under the screen), Am I gonna have to go through the htc sync way of force flashing the stock software? Any help would be appreciated!!

You can downgrade your radio version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715485

Reactions: pitmasterme