How to unbrick your soft bricked Evo 4G

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to make this thread for anyone that has soft bricked there HTC Evo 4G while trying to root the phone. So I have done this first hand and can say it works.

OK so if you find your self at a black screen with a picture of a phone with a triangle and exclimation point, you have flashed a bad ROM. When I done this the first time I thought the phone was done for. After some help from a member on here, thefredelement, I recovered my phone. I will give you the simple steps how to recover your phone from this.

Its very simple!

Download the RUU zip (make sure its the zip file) file you need here. Index of /evo/stock/RUU/

Once downloaded, rename the zip file to PC36IMG

Mount your SD card to your computer. (Take SD card out of phone and use adapter to mount to your computer)

Place the file to the root of the SD card.

Reboot your phone into hboot.

Your phone will scan for the PC36IMG zip. This will take a few mins to upload the zip. It will then ask if you would like to update. Hit volume up rocker to install the update.

This will now install the stock RUU that you downloaded.

Now you can try to root again or not take another chance.

If you experience this problem once from rooting, I would urge you to try unrevoked 3 flashing tool to root your HTC device. I will give you my brief description on how to do so. This also is a very easy procedure to do.

Visit unrevoked and click on your device.

Download the unrevoked 3 file from the site.

Once downloaded to your computer as reflash_package (an exe file) plug your phone into your computer. Double click the exe file to open the unrevoked 3 application.

From there it will run a script that will root your phone and flash unrevoked forever and clockworkmod custom recovery to your phone. It will reboot your phone twice, with the last time rebooting into the recovery to where you can make a backup which is highly recommended.

You are now fully rooted with superuser permissions and able to flash custom roms.

OK so you need to take your phone into Sprint for a repair. We all know they will not do anything with a rooted phone. So as an easy way to unroot the phone is once again simple.

Follow this link:http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...turn-stock-after-using-unrevoked-forever.html

Thanks goes out to thefredelement for all the help in my original thread and for the links to the RUU downloads.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i've used unRevoked before, then went back to stock and am toying with Rooting again---apart from the light-root of Z4, and this thread is very helpful.
i like flat out instructions to know exactly what i'm doing and what i'd see when doing so, so it's appreciated!
--thanked--

crystalcross

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Dude! I love you!!!!

I had upgraded my EVO, and everything went perfect. Then I did my GF's, and damn if I didn't brick it. Spend all night trying everything.
Finally I read your message, and BINGO worked like a charm!

wacoemt

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
help i think i screwed up

i tried to unroot my evo so i can do a claim on it. when it boots back up i get a black screen with a green circle. do i need to worry

Reactions: ken002

RobertVanHagar

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a bunch! I had rooted my EVO a month ago, and somehow managed to forget about doing a backup, tweaked the phone so much that it got to the point that I had tons of stuff removed & in the microSD card, that I ended up reformatting the card & hard reset the phone that I lost everything on it.

I unrooted today to 2.1-update, and lost 3g, couldn't validate, but after following your tutorial, am back in business! I thank the Droid Gods for your service, Dumpedduce!

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a bunch! I had rooted my EVO a month ago, and somehow managed to forget about doing a backup, tweaked the phone so much that it got to the point that I had tons of stuff removed & in the microSD card, that I ended up reformatting the card & hard reset the phone that I lost everything on it.

I unrooted today to 2.1-update, and lost 3g, couldn't validate, but after following your tutorial, am back in business! I thank the Droid Gods for your service, Dumpedduce!

Glad you got things settled my man. We all make mistakes and we are all hear to help each other out. I couldn't have made this guide if it wasn't for fredthelement's help in my OG thread.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

flmike1954

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I bricked my EVO 4G. All my phone does now is show a white screen which says only HTC EVO 4G and the phone keeps rebooting on and off. Can anyone help me? Can it be fixed? I will pay for phone support.
Mike 954-919-1202

jual0519

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Please help evo bricked I guess new to this lol I feel so stupit. Evo was working fine rooted an flashed to cricket, then it said cant mount sd card, I turned it off an now it wont boot goes to Revolutionary menu, when I go into recovery it wont mont sd, I have formatted sd card an wiped all cache, I cant get it to do anything, please help

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Please help evo bricked I guess new to this lol I feel so stupit. Evo was working fine rooted an flashed to cricket, then it said cant mount sd card, I turned it off an now it wont boot goes to Revolutionary menu, when I go into recovery it wont mont sd, I have formatted sd card an wiped all cache, I cant get it to do anything, please help

Have you taken out the SD card recently, or maybe dropped your phone? Have you tried to reseat the card? Ie take the card out and put it back in. Have you tried to use another for sure working micro SD card? I have actually had 2 cards go out on me since I have had an evo.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message Via HTC Evo 4g

carhauler1969

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Basic info: if the phone turns on, & will boot to HBOOT (bootloader) & or recovery either by pressing power + volume down, or via "adb reboot bootloader" or "adb reboot recovery" then the device is not bricked, or soft bricked.
It is quite difficult to brick an EVO 4G, unless you're foolish enough to use the TWRP 2.0 recovery & ignore the warning that it has been known to brick devices.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

nbmcgreevy

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ive done everything you said and my phone still wont install the file. When I boot into ClockworkMod Recovery and install zip from SD card it says Installation Failed? What am I doing wrong?

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ive done everything you said and my phone still wont install the file. When I boot into ClockworkMod Recovery and install zip from SD card it says Installation Failed? What am I doing wrong?

Which file are you trying to instal?

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Which file are you trying to instal?

I tried the following, in order as listed:

From OTA: 4.67.651.3
ceb61707b83077ca60cdf6744f853896

From OTA: 4.22.651.1
MD5: a3605c1e22ea22149d25d8de8eda34b0

From OTA: 3.70.651.1
MD5: 5f41787f9734a980462281311f6a6b6b

This last one is under update.zip and i opened manually via clockmod recovery and my phone is now on the clockmod icon with a black backscreen and has been like this for about 15mins, no luck :( :'(
update.zip: MD5: f3c42f856776955e95934014799e6302

Any other ideas??

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Basic info: if the phone turns on, & will boot to HBOOT (bootloader) & or recovery either by pressing power + volume down, or via "adb reboot bootloader" or "adb reboot recovery" then the device is not bricked, or soft bricked.
It is quite difficult to brick an EVO 4G, unless you're foolish enough to use the TWRP 2.0 recovery & ignore the warning that it has been known to brick devices.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

So if im not bricked please guide me on how to get my phone back and running.

i installed the following in my SD card and even entered recovery mode and manually installed PC36IMG.zip and nothing, see below:

From OTA: 4.67.651.3
ceb61707b83077ca60cdf6744f853896

MD5: a3605c1e22ea22149d25d8de8eda34b0

From OTA: 3.70.651.1
MD5: 5f41787f9734a980462281311f6a6b6b

This last one is under update.zip and i opened manually via clockmod recovery and my phone is now on the clockmod icon with a black backscreen and has been like this for about 15mins, no luck
update.zip: MD5: f3c42f856776955e95934014799e6302

Any else i can do??

Last edited: