Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Cool Best Kernel for battery life?

    I am running Myns warm 2.2 rls5...any suggestions? Sorry I am new to this kernel thing, and read about them a little.
  2. #2  
    cloak.n.dagger's Avatar

    Posts
    1,087 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

    Default

    Here's a link to most of the Kernels that are out there. These have rating from other users, so I would go with one that has a higher rating. Just don't use an AOSP Kernel with your Sense ROM and you should be all good to go. I just flashed the netarchy-toastmod-4.3.2-cfs-sbc-havs-more-universal-signed Kernel last night and it seems to be doing very well today. I also noticed that this Kernel has the fix for the SD card speed issue, so my pictures seem to be loading up faster off the SD card now as a result (like when I open the gallery or play back a video file).

    Kernel/Rom Downloads
    -Stay thirsty my friends.
  3. #3  
    prittyboy203's Avatar

    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always Flashing Who Knows

    Default

    Ya the kernel he suggested is great for myns rom it plays well on my phone only thing I had to give up was my camera can you let me know if they fixed it for the newer phone cuz it said it was implemented but still didn't work but you did say that they put the sdcard hack in so I think they might have put a little more work into it since I last used it

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  
    cloak.n.dagger's Avatar

    Posts
    1,087 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prittyboy203 View Post
    Ya the kernel he suggested is great for myns rom it plays well on my phone only thing I had to give up was my camera can you let me know if they fixed it for the newer phone cuz it said it was implemented but still didn't work but you did say that they put the sdcard hack in so I think they might have put a little more work into it since I last used it

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Not sure about the newer HW. Mine is version 0003 and the camera and camcorder are working perfrectly. Just recoding a few 30sec 720p video clips and snapping a few 8MP pics took 20% off my battery! Jeez!
    -Stay thirsty my friends.
  5. #5  
    willy900wonka's Avatar

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    Fresh 5.2.1 +SBC#15

    Default

    Just for the sake of completeness, the SBC series of kernels offer great battery life. I get about 3.5 hours of light usage at 100%, then it goes to 99% ....
    My battery stays cool. Be sure to heed the warning of impending nuclear cataclysmic events .lol
    [KERNEL][SENSE] - SBC. Update: 1/18/11 All kernels put back up! - xda-developers
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willy900wonka View Post
    Just for the sake of completeness, the SBC series of kernels offer great battery life. I get about 3.5 hours of light usage at 100%, then it goes to 99% ....
    My battery stays cool. Be sure to heed the warning of impending nuclear cataclysmic events .lol
    [KERNEL][SENSE] - SBC. Update: 1/18/11 All kernels put back up! - xda-developers
    Will the SBC kernel work with Myns?
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse813 View Post
    Will the SBC kernel work with Myns?
    yes it will, go to this link:
    [ROM] Myn’s Warm TwoPointTwo - [RLS 5 - 01/07/2011] - More Than Meets The Eye! - xda-developers

    scroll down till you see "Alternative Recommended Kernels:"
    the first kernel is SBC

    remember to wipe "dalvik-cache"

    BTW - if you get "Zip verification failed! Zip isn't signed correctly. Installation aborted" , just scroll to "Toggle signature verification", click it, then flash the kernel and all is well
  8. #8  
    Tonay's Avatar

    Posts
    284 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default

    How do i know if the Kernel is good for the ROM im running cause i would like to improve my battery life but i really dont know alot about Kernels so some help would be very nice
  9. #9  
    cloak.n.dagger's Avatar

    Posts
    1,087 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

    Default

    There are only 2 kids of ROMs (for the most part), AOSP and Sense. Likewise there are Kernels for Sense and Kernels for AOSP. There are quite a few selections avaialbe for each ROM type so you just need to flash a few and try them out. Each ROM may have varying results with the same Kernel, so it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. Read up on the Kernels in the XDA forums, there are lots of arguments about the sbc kernels and how they handle charging the battery. There are strong claims that these Kernels can reduce the life of your battery even though they work very well when using them.
    -Stay thirsty my friends.
  10. #10  
    npark's Avatar

    Posts
    656 Posts
    Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    Not sure about the newer HW. Mine is version 0003 and the camera and camcorder are working perfrectly. Just recoding a few 30sec 720p video clips and snapping a few 8MP pics took 20% off my battery! Jeez!
    Do you know if you have a class 4 card? The original Evos came with a class 2 card (like my launch day evo).

    I noticed a 004 evo with a class 4 sandisk 8gb card. I realized that's probably how HTC addressed the (albeit while not advertising the change) lag issues. Does nothing for people with their original class 2 cards.

    I have a class 6 16gb card, so I don't need any software mods for smooth video.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default

    Update..

    So I have tried 2 Kernels from Myns XDA page, and I am here with feedback.. SBC, and Netarchy ( whatever its called ) both suck up battery life pretty fast. I am now trying out KingKernel #17 and will report back with an update tomorrow. BTW I am not running anything special that would drain my battery. Just this morning I unplugged my phone and it was 100 percent battery drove to work , and checked it again an hour later it had gone down to 84 percent ( with Netarchy Smart *** Kernel )! So I installed King's Kernel and will report back.
  12. #12  
    mhuggins's Avatar

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 tiamat 4.0.1 sbc

    Default

    ok try this kernel by caulkin my battery life is 12 hours of moderate use thats including bunch of text and email.

    SD card speed fix (5Mbps to 15Mbps) - Page 11 - xda-developers 0772288

    try this one out a lot of people are having good luck with this one.... just flash the first zip file
    EVOlution----the future of the smartphone

    HAD TO RETIRE MY EVO FOR A EVO LTE
  13. #13  
    cloak.n.dagger's Avatar

    Posts
    1,087 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by npark View Post
    Do you know if you have a class 4 card? The original Evos came with a class 2 card (like my launch day evo).

    I noticed a 004 evo with a class 4 sandisk 8gb card. I realized that's probably how HTC addressed the (albeit while not advertising the change) lag issues. Does nothing for people with their original class 2 cards.

    I have a class 6 16gb card, so I don't need any software mods for smooth video.
    That all depends on the Kernel you are using. Some of the older Kernels lock the read ahead bit to 4, which limits the higher class cards to the speeds of a class 2 card. You can use root explorer ES File Explorer to view the /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb file. If is says 4 then you are running a kernel that restrics the SD card read/wrtie capabilities. If it's 128 then you should be seeing full read/write speeds on your higher class cards.

    Here's a link to the discussion on XDA, if you're interested...
    SD card speed fix (5Mbps to 15Mbps) - xda-developers
    -Stay thirsty my friends.
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  
    OrangeGTP's Avatar

    Posts
    197 Posts
    ROM
    UNleashed Z one/net4.3sbc

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse813 View Post
    Update..

    So I have tried 2 Kernels from Myns XDA page, and I am here with feedback.. SBC, and Netarchy ( whatever its called ) both suck up battery life pretty fast. I am now trying out KingKernel #17 and will report back with an update tomorrow. BTW I am not running anything special that would drain my battery. Just this morning I unplugged my phone and it was 100 percent battery drove to work , and checked it again an hour later it had gone down to 84 percent ( with Netarchy Smart *** Kernel )! So I installed King's Kernel and will report back.
    sounds like your having the same issue i had....even tho with rls5 the radios are all supposed to be upgraded......i had worse battery life with rls5 with new radios vs rls4....so i downgraded back to the PRI 1.77 and my battery came back to like it was with rls4....im currently using netarchys 4.3 cfs more havs sbc....and if i leave unplugged and in standby off the charger itll stay at 100% for 2-3 hrs...but of course thats not what our phones are made for....lol....today i took it off charger at 6am...used it during the day..texts...web...facebook...gps....and i just put it on the charger about an hour ago and it was at 20%...so about 15hrs....

    but of course every phone is different and your phone may not like the kernal im using vice versa....but id def check your PRI radio...1.90 seems to be a battery drainer for some reason.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Im new to flashing roms/kernels...I have flashing CM7 nightlies down pretty well. Is flashing the kernel any different?

    Put files on root of sd
    Wipe data/factory reset (if necessary)
    Wipe dalvik/cache
    Flash from SD Card (choose file...let it do its thing)
    Reboot
    Done?

    This is the same thing for kernels, gapps, and roms right?
  16. #16  

    Default

    Sounds right, but I am new to this.
  17. #17  
    truslide's Avatar

    Posts
    562 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Do not flash SBC kernels, especially one's with trickle. They'll kill the battery or cause worse damage.
  18. #18  
    ProCision's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

    Default

    HTC #15 comes with myn's. I really don't think your going to find a better all around kernel. If your phone is new like mine your going to get better battery everyday as your phone learns your usage. I have a stock battery and have been on my phone on and off all day and I'm @ 15%. I'm going on 14 hours.

    Sent from my EvO using Tapatalk
  19. #19  

    Default

    This may be a ridiculous question but how do you know if the ROM is ASOP or sense? I am running gingerbread-evo-deck-1.2. with the Kernel 2.637.6cyanogenmod-01493-g70877de, my battery life is awful much better in the past with the cyanogenmod 7 kernel. Any suggestions for kernels with this ROM?
    Last edited by brettjohnson5; 06-20-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: needed to add more info and another question
  20. #20  
    SmokeCrawler's Avatar

    Posts
    1,293 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettjohnson5 View Post
    This may be a ridiculous question but how do you know if the ROM is ASOP or sense? I am running gingerbread-evo-deck-1.2. with the Kernel 2.637.6cyanogenmod-01493-g70877de, my battery life is awful much better in the past with the cyanogenmod 7 kernel. Any suggestions for kernels with this ROM?
    Most usually the dev will say if it is an AOSP rom. Another thing to tell if it is, is if you have to flash the gapps with it. Sense roms will already have it built in.

    Your rom is an AOSP Rom if you didn't know. The kernel you are using is the cm7 kernel. Get Kernel Manager (its free in the market) and try out some of the AOSP kernels. Tiamat, savaged-zen, and godmode are popular
    Thanked by:
  21. #21  

    Smile

    Thanks a lot. I enjoy doing this stuff but really have no idea what I am doing, so I really apperciate the help.
  22. #22  
    SmokeCrawler's Avatar

    Posts
    1,293 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    Any time my friend.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Are the Netarchy kernals the only ones that accept HDMI mirroing? I use that to mirror movies to my big screen tv and it works well, but I would like to try out some other kernals.

Posting Permissions