1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Bricked Evo, A little help...?

My sister recently gave me an Evo to fix for her that her boyfriend tried to "root" (have no idea what he did) and I'm haveing a tough time. When turned on the phone hangs at the white HTC screen and stays there requiring a battery pull. Once you pull that battery the only way to get it to even do that again is to leave that battery out for about 20 min and try again. If you try to turn it on before that nothing happens except for a dim red light turning on near the notification light. I am able to boot into the hboot but trying to go from there into recovery just hangs it again at the white HTC screen. I tried going to the usb setting and using htc sync to repair it with a stock image and it wont recognize the phone even though when connected the computer registers it as in the usb as an android 1.0 device. I also tried putting an image on the root of an sd and renaming it pc36img as i read in another forum this looked the most promising as it started to read the zip and got to where it said parsing file and stayed there for a few hours. Finally i ended up doing a battery pull and now if I go into hboot with the card in it freezes at the screen with the skateboarding android with out the card hboot works normally. Any help would be appreciated trying to save my sis from having to buy a new phone.

ROM
    Fresh 5.2.1 +SBC#15

Here are a series of potential steps.
    You should do a search on each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Potential Steps
    Connect through adb to hboot.
    Check your S-on/S-off status
    Root if you need to.
    Push a recovery onto the sdcard
    Push flash and busybox if you don't have them.
    Flash the recovery.
    From recovery install some ROM
    Last edited by willy900wonka; 02-10-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: missing ROM !!

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always Flashing Who Knows

You could also use a newest ruu program to restore the phone back to its original state you could look into the stickys at the top and it would Aldo be a good thing to do before anything I'd make sure what radio version he or she had what hboot version they have and about what year did they get the phone because there are 003-004 newer versions like mine just to be safe they say to look anyways

Sent From PrittyBoy's Evo 4G

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    ROM

Oh ya and ask what method they used for rooting and also what screen are you stuck at because after using a ruu I got stuck at a big black HTC screen with white triangles on each corner of the phone Cuz there was a thread that I needed help with and a poster by the name thefredelemant helped me try and fix my phone after a botched root attempt

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Alright, boot into the bootloader, (volume down + power) then look to the top left corner, does it say s-off?

If so, put the all-in-one package from onto the root of your SD card, reboot into boootloader again and it will automatically search for the update and prompt you too install. Accept, and be patient, it going to take a long time. DO NOT BATTERY PULL.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerkyxiii View Post
    My sister recently gave me an Evo to fix for her that her boyfriend tried to "root" (have no idea what he did) and I'm haveing a tough time. When turned on the phone hangs at the white HTC screen and stays there requiring a battery pull. Once you pull that battery the only way to get it to even do that again is to leave that battery out for about 20 min and try again. If you try to turn it on before that nothing happens except for a dim red light turning on near the notification light. I am able to boot into the hboot but trying to go from there into recovery just hangs it again at the white HTC screen. I tried going to the usb setting and using htc sync to repair it with a stock image and it wont recognize the phone even though when connected the computer registers it as in the usb as an android 1.0 device. I also tried putting an image on the root of an sd and renaming it pc36img as i read in another forum this looked the most promising as it started to read the zip and got to where it said parsing file and stayed there for a few hours. Finally i ended up doing a battery pull and now if I go into hboot with the card in it freezes at the screen with the skateboarding android with out the card hboot works normally. Any help would be appreciated trying to save my sis from having to buy a new phone.
    If the RED light is flashing... uhh... battery is dead? If the phone is off, you can charge the battery when plugged in.

If you have skateboarding androids and can boot into the hboot screen you're still good. Can you scroll up and down the different options, such as recovery, or FASTBOOT etc?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for the help guys. To answer some questions the red light isn't flashing the battery is full just taken off a battery charger. I tried the ruu prgram from hboot but it said it could not communicate with the phone. As i stated before if turned normally it freezes at the white screen that says htc and i tried a pcimg36.zip but it froze at parsing file and now if i have the card inserted it freezes upon loading hboot. Haven't tried adb as i've never needed it on my evo the one click unrevoked worked fine for me.

Going to try the all in one zip linked above keep you guys updated. Thanks again.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

-sigh-
    Set up adb, we may be in for a little trouble.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Format your sdcard and put the PC36IMG.zip (named just like that) back on it and give it a shot again.

NEED HELP!!! I rooted my Evo and was then trying to take it back to stock but I got stuck at a black HTC screen with white triangles on each corner of the phone. The phone will not do anything but stay on that screen.

What should I try to fix this problem?

Oh ya and ask what method they used for rooting and also what screen are you stuck at because after using a ruu I got stuck at a big black HTC screen with white triangles on each corner of the phone Cuz there was a thread that I needed help with and a poster by the name thefredelemant helped me try and fix my phone after a botched root attempt

I have the same problem. How do I fix this?

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    ROM

Pm or message Fredtheelement he had just posted a few posts back on the first page he helped me but I haaaad lol a white Evo and I got to that spot and right before the middle of helping me I got a ride to radio shack and swayed it to a black one it was only 2 days brand new so I went the easy route but pm him or ask him here and he will most likely help you out

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

How did you get them to take back the phone?

THEFREDELEMENT!!!

My Evo is stuck at an all black screen with htc in the middle and four triangles on each corner with "!" inside of them.

I rooted my phone with unrevoked and installed gingerbread on it but never saved the old rom. I was attempting to go back using a RUU but it said it didn't have all the files and thats how my phone got to the black screen.

Could you please help?

I dont no if you got your phone to work but i just had the same problem stuck at the white EVo screen. I hit the button that said update sim and my phone started to work again.This worked for me.

ROM
    UNleashed Z one/net4.3sbc

and another unrevoked user or two bites the dust lmao

Please help me fix this issue because I dropped the ball on the rules of rooting and may have damaged my phone. I successfully rooted my phnoe and decided to add a custom ROM via ROM Manager. All was well till I decided to switch to a differnt ROM via the same utility. My phone froze and I did not have back up anything. My SD card is clean as a whistle and phone just goes to the Evo screen. What should I do? If I misused any terminology, my apologies. I am relatively new to the Android OS

I had the same problem with the black screen and 4 white triangles in the corners. Here is what I did, I downloaded this RUU and ran that with my phone hooked onto my pc via usb while the phone was on and on the black screen. If you get an error code 170 saying that your phone is not connected you'll have to go into your device manager on your computer and uninstall the drivers for the phone. I cancelled the automatic driver install and it showed up as My HTC on the device manager. You'll have to mess around with the drivers for your phone on your computer until you get it to say My HTC( I had HTC sync installed and I'm not sure if that made a difference or not just thought I would share what I found) Hope this helps someone.
    Banned

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Gingerbread

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeGTP View Post
    and another unrevoked user or two bites the dust lmao
    Lol thats funny.

Word of advise: your not cool unless you use ADB

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S