1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Sense 3.5

Default Final Questions and thoughts before I take the rooting plunge!

Hello all. Like many, I'm just about ready to take the rooting plunge. I have read (and am still reading) how-to forum guides and have watched Youtube videos as well. Rooting looks fairly straight forward, but each time I think I'm ready, reading the experiences of some of those who attempt this makes me pause.

My sole goals:
    -Better battery life (I'm tired of running out of juice after 4 hours of continuous use on 3G)
    -Faster 3G (I read that Gingerbread offers tweaks in that area)
    - Ability to easily unroot should I need to return the phone to Sprint for service
    -Overclock /undervolt for faster performance while conserving battery life when the phone is off

Preferred method: Unrevoked (I know many of you favor a longer way, but I'm already afraid I may damage my phone)

Preferred ROM: Cyanogen7

Phone vitals:
    Hardware version 0003
    Build # 3.70.651.1
    Software: 3.70.651.1
    HBoot: 2.10.0001

I plan to root this weekend, but wanted to know if any of you could advise on the following:
    (Real world use) - is a rooted phone noticeably faster than stock?
    To a person as paranoid as I am about messing up: ultimately, do you think rooting is worth the risk to someone who can't afford it?

I see that many of you have rooted and are very happy, but I wanted final comments before I make my decision. Thanks all! I'm thoroughly enjoying both my Evo and my membership on Android Central.
    Those who nobly do their best have no reason to bow their head in shame

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock rom netarchy kernel

it does involve risk although slight. I've rooted 3 phones with unrevoked. The last, my sons and it had the exact hardware and software yours does. The only problem I had was with his. I had to run unrevoked twice to get it fully rooted with s-off. it failed to unlock nand on the 1st pass.
    If you do root. I'd hold off on cm7 till you have flashed a few roms and be sure the very 1st thing you do is a nandroid backup once you get the custom recovery on. then download rom manager and flash amonra recovery and make a backup with it.
    then copy both backups to 2 different places.
    oh, i got decent battery life stock after removing bloatware and using setcpu. Even better battery life using a custom kerel, I'm still on the stock rom. Joeykrim rooted odexed version 5
    Last edited by baknblack; 02-16-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: add to
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Sense 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by baknblack View Post
    If you do root. I'd hold off on cm7 till you have flashed a few roms
    Thanks for the advice Baknblack. If I proceed, I planned to use the ROM Manager to load CM7. Would that make a difference as regards to your recommendation? Is CM7 a more difficult ROM to flash?

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock rom netarchy kernel

Quote Originally Posted by taadow1030 View Post
    Thanks for the advice Baknblack. If I proceed, I planned to use the ROM Manager to load CM7. Would that make a difference as regards to your recommendation? Is CM7 a more difficult ROM to flash?
    i don't think it's more difficult, just more nuances to overcome. I'd follow the thread on xda for a while and see what problems/issues are cropping up and decide if you are ready to deal with them. when you feel ready flash away if you want to try it.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I just recently rooted and switched to numerous roms. Here are the things I learned along my way.

1. After rooting nandroid you current setup!!!
    2. Copy that backup off your phone and keep it in a safe place.
    3. Flash different roms and try them out. (This is only something you can really look at. Your tastes are going to be different than mine.)

As for me I keep finding myself back on CM7. If you have read through the discussions during the nighties you will know the things you need to do before you even flash. Quick hint is to look for GPS clear guide and make sure you backup (I use Titanium Backup) the settings for programs you use. Another issue I have been having with CM7 on pretty much all builds including the RC1 is the front camera is very dark.

Good luck with rooting. It was one of the best decisions I have made with my EVO. But fair warning you battery will take a hit because you never want to set your phone down.
    Last edited by studog712; 02-17-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Sense 3.5

Thanks Studog712! After much going back and forth, I decided that I will root tonight and flash CM7. Was going to wait until the weekend, but I'm too excited to keep putting it off. Thanks also for the heads up on CM7.