to take the plunge or not.... HELP

Shootin4aces

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I really can't make up my mind as to if i should root or not (been kicking the idea around for awhile now)! I am not asking for how to's or anything like that as there is plenty of that already in the forum. What i need are the pro's and con's? what do i gain/lose from rooting? what will it enable me to do that the phone can't already do stock? what types of modifications can be made to the phone that are really worth going through the effort and risk for? how much can you actually modify the phone/how in depth can you go (without to much risk)? just looking for insight and advise really on subjects like those above, feel free to give any thoughts or advise that you would consider helpful or noteworthy!!!

Thanks in advance my fellow adroidians, PEACE OUT :cool:

LOVE MY EVO!!!!!!

taadow1030

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my phone one week ago today. This is my opinion only : root only if you have specific goals ( like free wireless tethering or Gingerbread, etc). That being said, I'm having a lot more fun now than before. I'm a techie who got tired of waiting for Gingerbread so I finally rooted. My phone is faster, but stock is still fast enough. Basically it comes down to risk vs reward. I forgot to mention : I watched countless videos on on different Roms on YouTube and read many different posts before I rooted. By then, I knew what I wanted and if it would be worth the hassle /risks.

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Theres a ton of stuff you get. Well, you get FULL control of whats on your device, and i mean full control.
New roms, new looks, new kernels, basically its a totally new experience.

You said not to direct you to anything, so. Se la vi.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Theres a ton of stuff you get. Well, you get FULL control of whats on your device, and i mean full control.

agreed. After root it like having a brand new phone. You learn different tricks. It's very addictive. Believe me.

Shootin4aces

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

feel free to direct some...lol.... i meant more that i don't need how to's..... if you have ideas, suggestions. resources worth looking at.... lay anything you feel pertinent on me.... this is a knowledge seeking quest!!! :)

westhillsat

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
feel free to direct some...lol.... i meant more that i don't need how to's..... if you have ideas, suggestions. resources worth looking at.... lay anything you feel pertinent on me.... this is a knowledge seeking quest!!! :)

I like that I can slow the processor down to use less power. Can clear caches to get some memory back. You can freeze apps so they don't use resources as opposed to deleting apps. You can move some apps to the SD card that normally you can't. Ability to tether. There are backup apps that require rooting. Remove apps that normally the system wouldn't allow to be removed.

Last edited:

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ultimately it comes down to you being able to do, with only small exceptions, whatever you want to and on and with your device. Stock anything is one size fits all, and by the very fact that you're here, you're clearly not a one size fits all person.

Klubhead

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
i think it's 100% worth it.. for example, going from stock evo to myn's new Warm Z rom would feel like a completely new phone

GPz1100

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
The big question is, can you deal with the con - bricking your phone - if it should happen. The chance of rooting going bad is unlikely if you follow the instructions that apply to your particular device/version. More so, even if something does go wrong, recovery is usually very possible. It's not like the days of the flip phones which used bitpim. You make a mistake there, and you were likely very SOL'd.

What you do need to be is patient. Sometimes the updates take a long time, and it may seem like the phone is locked/stuck - especially when flashing radios. You want to give it at least a good 5-10 min before pulling the battery, and even then, wait a bit longer. In fact, I think of all things, radios should be flashed individually. There's been a number of reports on xda of people giving up too soon, pulling the battery, and ending up with a useless brick. Again, this is applicable to the radio only.

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Forget BitPim, I was using Qualcomm PST, Motorola PST, Motorola RadioComm, and a slew of other programs that the public was never meant to have access to in order to flash firmwares on Motorola phones during the mid 00's. Rooting is far easier than that ever was. Ahh the memories.. I was actually the first successful cross-flash of an Alltel firmware onto a Verizon RAZR V3m and E815.

All that to say, there is far less risk now than there ever used to be, but there's always a risk that something could go unexpectedly wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz