[PSA] What is the best ROM/Kernel for my EVO? PLEASE READ!!!

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
ANSWER:

While many people have their favorite ROM/kernel, there is NO single best ROM or kernel.

WHY?

Quite simply, it's because every phone is different.

The EVO has several different hardware versions, and even within those hardware versions no two phones are exactly the same. Among other things, every circuit board is slightly different from the next and most importantly, every processor is just slightly different while still remaining within tolerances specified by the manufacturer.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Basically, it means that every phone reacts differently to different ROMs and kernels. A ROM and/or kernel that runs flawlessly and gives great battery life on one EVO may be unstable and completely unusable on the next. This is especially true when you start undervolting and overclocking.

SO HOW DO I KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST ROM AND KERNEL FOR ME?

The simple answer is trial and error. Sure, everyone can give you their recommendations, but that doesn't mean that's what is right for you. In order to find the best ROM and kernel for your EVO, you will have to experiment with them and see which one works best for you.

Personal preference plays a big part here as well, because many ROMs have a significantly different look and feel to them. One person might tell you "This is the best ROM ever", and you might absolutely hate it. This is especially true when you start getting into ROMs that have Sense removed, AOSP ROMs like CyanogenMod, and ROMs with a completely different UI like MIUI.

I've been noticing these questions coming up quite a bit lately so I hope this will help some people out!

Happy flashing!