MIUI Rom users? Speed, battery life, endless customization---

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Seriously... I'm surprised there's no thread for this ROM here. It's made by Chinese devs and was ported by an awesome dev.
XDA thread here.

Screenshots and Videos

Standby battery life is GREAT. Wifi overnight is like 0-2% loss.
I get more than a full day's worth of battery on the go (3g, gps when needed, wifi whenever, 60% screen brightness, no sync, vibrate off)...
Many people claim to get a couple days. Regardless the battery life is the best I've seen on any rom. (I've tried Fresh, Baked Snack, CM, Myn's, and some others)

Speed... it is based off of CM6 so you know it's fast. Also, gingerbread is around the corner.

Features
- Themes BUILT IN... there's a free market full of them for download.
- Modify theme's text style, wallpaper, lockscreen wallpaper, icons, boot animation, boot audio, ringtones, fonts, etc.
- Screen transitions such as crossfade, page, falldown, cascading, rotation, 3d cube, etc.
- Unlimited homescreens. You can add or subtract by pinching and pressing the plus button or the X button on homescreens respectively.
- Adding widgets is done like it is done in Honeycomb. You have widgets on a top bar and your homescreens on bottom. You drag and drop to whatever homescreen you want.
- MIUI apps such as File Explorer, Theme downloader/manager, music player, Data/Call Monitor, Camera, Gallery, etc.
- Oh, did I mention it as an BUILT-IN Backup/Restore? So useful for flashing updates. Apps, settings, homescreens, everything..
- Various launcher settings that you would cry for... I can't list them all.
- Tons more...

It is like Android + the user experience it so needed.

Chinese devs work on it and usually release something every week on Friday. The devs over at XDA port it over usually by Saturday.

I'm quite shocked there hasn't been a thread for this ROM yet.

Last edited:

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
This is a great Rom, the battery life is amazing and I love the UI. I ran it for a few months and switched to Myns Warms Z for right now. There is supposed to be a Gingerbread build for MIUI coming up. I really love the built in firewall also. I know MIUI is really popular, but I do have some trust issues with the Rom itself..such as who the developers are, are they actually in China and why it's closed source.

MaxO

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
i really liked the rom.. but it has had some issues too.. i think ill wait for the next update before reflashing

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I flashed MIUI about 2 weeks ago, it's awesome!!!

Great battery life, slick UI, lots of systems monitoring (battery, usage & OS), built in fire wall... the list goes on and on.

I do think its a bit touchy when it comes to installing it and getting it up and running right. You really have to follow there install instructions. And I think a lot of issues some have has to do with Kernels. MIUI ran like crap on my EVO with the stock kernel, but once I flashed one of Savages kernels.... nice and smooth.

It dose have its little draw backs, no 4g(yet), no HDMI (at least I think so) and a couple others. Bit all in all a very nice ROM.

Here's my main home screen:
snap20110314_210551.png

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I tried this rom out but couldn't get the weather to work so I think I'm gonna wait until it gets a little more stable like cm7

navoid

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I've used this rom on my evo since December. Its really a very simple and well thought interface. The ui is easy, and its chock full of features. Its obviously inspired by iOS, but combines the best features of android and iOs.

It has wireless tether built in, back up built in. Awesome music player. Easy themes.

Has a really great alarm clock built in.

Its basically like getting a new phone. When I do upgrade from the evo, I am going to miss Miui more than anything.

Negatives- rare random freeze ups. Probably kernel related, as I am running a bit older savage kernel.

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
hey what KERNEL do u use for the WARM Z?....ive tried netarchy BETA and 4.1.9.1 and the battery still drained pretty bad.....cant seem to find one that is undervolting with good battery life....thanks in advance....much appreciaited

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
im trying to doownload 1.3.4 for the EVO....but the link keeps taking me to the new BETA version.....i cant seem to find a link for the 1.3.4 which sound to me as a stable version....anyone now where i can get that DL?.....also how is the stable version?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I still find it sad that in this day and age, rom dev's choose to be closed source while working on something fundamentally open.

All its doing is holding back development/improvements to the existing rom and making it harder for ports to other devices. Hell, if it was open sourced, there would be 4G in this rom already.

Phew, rant over guys. ;)

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Is Wimax working on this ROM? I recently rooted the EVO for the first time, mainly for free wireless tethering. So, I really don't want to lose 4G.

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
im pretty sure its not working.....im flashing 1.3.4 right now./...ill let u know in about 10 mins if u want.....CM has 4G though...try the nightlys.....4G, built-in wi-fi hotspot...ect....

Reactions: DaEXfactoR

Fried Rice Mofo

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I tried it out last night..

Pros:

GREAT interface. It's subjective, I know, but there's a reason why iPhones are as popular as they are. Simple, and very clean.

As mentioned, battery is outstanding on this ROM.

Very snappy. Moves like liquid.

Some great apps built-in.

Minuses:

Yes, there's NO 4G (yet). No HDMI yet either. The big kicker for me though was figuring out Apps2sd.. Total pain in the ass compared to other roms like Warm or others. I got totally lost. Just sucks for someone like me that has a ton of apps. I'm totally clueless when it comes to things poker partitioning my sd card.. Lol.

Overall tho, great rom. When I study up on the apps2sd thing some more, I'll be swapping.. Gonna give vaelpak a shot tonight!

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't typically wear tin foil hats or anything but...

Since it's from a Chinese dev and closed source, isn't anyone concerned about back doors or any other security risks?

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Thats exactly why I stopped using it. It's a great Rom..but who are these Chinese developers and what are they hiding by keeping it closed source?

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
I flashed MIUI about 2 weeks ago, it's awesome!!!

Great battery life, slick UI, lots of systems monitoring (battery, usage & OS), built in fire wall... the list goes on and on.

I do think its a bit touchy when it comes to installing it and getting it up and running right. You really have to follow there install instructions. And I think a lot of issues some have has to do with Kernels. MIUI ran like crap on my EVO with the stock kernel, but once I flashed one of Savages kernels.... nice and smooth.

It dose have its little draw backs, no 4g(yet), no HDMI (at least I think so) and a couple others. Bit all in all a very nice ROM.

Here's my main home screen:
snap20110314_210551.png

what theme is that my friend?

A Lex and Er

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't typically wear tin foil hats or anything but...

Since it's from a Chinese dev and closed source, isn't anyone concerned about back doors or any other security risks?

I for one would be very surprised to find out the dev's porting MIUI from Chinese to English & holding forum & [OP]'s in forum's, have not looked inside...

NO?

Ryanbradley

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Quick question:
I had MIUI since yesterday and I have been
playing with it for awhile... Recently, when I try
to connect my evo to my mac, the pop-up window
in where you select on what connections you want to
use (charge or mount SD) is gone o_O
I tried wiping, and fixing permissions.... no fix....
I tried reinstalling the rom (I'm on 1.3.5-EN) yet.... no luck ;(
I really like this rom so far so anyone know how to fix this problem?