recovery via clockwork questions

dpg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried searching but didn't come up with anything specific to my question.

A couple days ago I had to recover from a backup using rom manager and clockwork. i went into the recover from backup from the options in rom manager and chose a backup. it restarted and then was in recovery screen. then it did nothing. when i went to manually find it, it said that nothing was there. but when you check the file on a computer from the sd card the backup is there.

Is there I was doing something wrong for it not to work? or is it one of those bugs about clockwork that is causing this issue?

Oh for backing up the rom, i just chose the backup current rom feature.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm not particularly familiar with ROM manager, but I think you need to install clockworkmod recovery from ROM manager.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Installing ROMs with ROM Manager gets real messy because depending on what ROM you are installing you need to run different versions of ClockWork. Now, restoring a backup shouldn't be recovery specific, but I'm not an expert in this field. I recommend flashing the Amon_RA 2.3 recovery and using that for flashing all your ROMs. This will mean that you cannot use ROM Manager any more, but the manual process is just as easy as using ROM Manager. If your interested in movig to Amon_RA just foloow these directions...

[Recovery] [09-Feb-2011] RA-supersonic-v2.3 - xda-developers

[ Download ] - ALWAYS check the md5sum to make sure the file isn't corrupted!

recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img - MD5Sum: c00243750cc79e4a1dd4888db175b19f [http://files.androidspin.com/downlo...COVERY/&file=recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img]
PC36IMG.zip - MD5SUM: 6dbb98f9cfa35033982c3803d2520466 [http://files.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=amon_ra/RECOVERY/&file=PC36IMG.zip]

Mirror to all my recoveries (Click a few adds to keep it up and running - Thanks DrMacinyasha ^^)

[ Install ] - There are several ways to install a custom recovery, feel free to pick the one that suits you best :

- the Bootloader way - - Thanks Tiffany84 ^^

•Place PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sd card.
•Boot the phone into the bootloader by powering the phone down, then press the power and the volume down buttons at the same time.
•Once the phone boots into the bootloader the phone will automatically recognize the zip file. It will ask if you would like to update, select yes and let it do it's thing and you will be good to go

Reactions: dpg and illwood

dpg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
cloak, thanks. that's what i was afraid of. I have been reading more and playing more with the bootloader and the recovery screen as I get more comfortable with installing roms. clockwork recovery is kind of like training wheels, lol. I do have a follow up question. is a nandroid backup a rom backup? so if I wanted to switch back to a previous rom I can just flash from a nandroid backup?
I know there is a ton of information out there that I have been trying to sort through and it wasn't too clear on my specific question. Thanks for the help so far

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
clockwork recovery is kind of like training wheels, lol.

lol Thats a good way of putting it.

If you don't mind I would like to have that in my signature for awhile.

And to answer your question about a nandroid backup. It backs everything up from that point of time. So if you flash a new rom and don't like it and you can restore your previous backup and start from that point of time.

Also, the backups you have from clockworkmod won't work with Amon RA.

Have fun with manual flashing. Its addicting! :)

Reactions: dpg

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
^^^Yup! I haven't made a backup with Clockwork since I first started flashing ROMs. With Amon_RA the nandroid backups will save your entrire ROM, icluding the recovery, wimax keys, cache and all data. You have to select some of these options in the backup menu, but it's just cool that the options are there.

Reactions: dpg

dpg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
lol Thats a good way of putting it.

If you don't mind I would like to have that in my signature for awhile.

Also, the backups you have from clockworkmod won't work with Amon RA.

Have fun with manual flashing. Its addicting! :)

Sure thing! I don't mind, haha. and thanks again guys for clearing that up for me. it's helps a ton!