Planning on Rooting tonight

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So i have a Stock EVO running the most current whatever from Sprint.

It's been a month or 2 since I researched it. Is unRevoked still the easiest way to root this bad boy?

I don't really want anything other than to get the wireless tether for my tablet I just bought?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If all you want is wireless tethering capabilities, I would suggest that you download z4root (from xda) and Wireless Tether (from the market).

You can only get a temporary root from z4root (it goes away after you reboot), but that should be enough to use the Wireless Tether app. If you rebooted and need to tether again, just re-run the temporary root.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
@ illwood.

I tried z4root in the past and it didn't work. What's the trick to get it to go?

The temporary root failed?

FYI, z4root can't permanently root an EVO, only temporary root.

Maybe busybox needs to be installed?

**edit**
I did a little reading and there was a problem with an older version of Wireless Tether where people weren't able to use it with the temporary root. They did have success by installing the latest Wireless Tether.

Last edited:

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
yeah it told me that a new superuser was needed to be installed on the wireless tether. then when i click on the link it gave me an error. That was last time. I'll give it a go again tonight. I don't have the tab with me so i'll try tonight.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, that is strange.

I would say give it another go and then if you still aren't where you want to be go for a full root.

I don't have anything against rooting (clearly), but it isn't for everyone and if you just want something that can be attained without full root, I try to suggest options.

madflasher

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If all you want is wireless tethering capabilities, I would suggest that you download z4root (from xda) and Wireless Tether (from the market).

You can only get a temporary root from z4root (it goes away after you reboot), but that should be enough to use the Wireless Tether app. If you rebooted and need to tether again, just re-run the temporary root.

thats some good info to know.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Based on the previous problem that the OP had with z4root and and earlier (I believe) version of Wireless Tether, could someone who is doing this with a non-rooted phone post up if they have had recent success with this?

My phone is rooted, so I can't verify at present time.

DerekCA

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Battery life has been great for me.

If you want to improve your battery life, get rid of your widgets and turn down the frequency that programs update. I can easily get a full day.

I am at 12h31m since unplugged and I have 51% remaining. I don't think the battery life could get any better.

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Battery life has been great for me.

If you want to improve your battery life, get rid of your widgets and turn down the frequency that programs update. I can easily get a full day.

I am at 12h31m since unplugged and I have 51% remaining. I don't think the battery life could get any better.

I went ahead and did the unrevoke this morning. It was super easy. Thanks for all the help!

What are some of the best apps to get now that in root. Or a link to a forum with suggestions.