Help! Woke up this morning & my EVO's internal memory says 100% full

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
My phone IS rooted, and all my apps except one are on my SD card, but this morning I woke up and my EVO now says its available internal memory is 0MB. (And I don't have tons of apps anyway.) This has resulted in many things not working properly, too. Everything is force closing because of low memory.

How the heck can I go to bed with 55MB of internal memory and wake up with 0MB? No automatic updates or downloads were done overnight, either.

Last edited:

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
First, pull the battery, wait a minute, drop it back in and restart.

Second, go to Menu / Settings / SD and Phone Storage. What are the numbers for the SD card and internal storage?

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
SD card: 4.89GB free (of 8GB)

Internal memory: 40.05MB

As someone who's a relatively new EVO and Android user--got my EVO in October 2010--I have since then installed and uninstalled many apps. I rooted my phone in December. During this time, I have never wiped my Dalvik cache but did so today. I would have thought that I would have recovered some internal memory, but it doesn't seem like I have. In fact, it appears I've pretty much recovered NO additional memory.

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The next question is why you had only 55 mb available when you went to bed. That's low to begin with. Any widgets (like weather) up and running? You need to go through your apps. Some are obviously hogs.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
The next question is why you had only 55 mb available when you went to bed. That's low to begin with.

That's a good question, and one to which I've been unable to figure out the answer.

Any widgets (like weather) up and running? You need to go through your apps. Some are obviously hogs.

Not that I can detect. I don't seem to have a lot of stuff running (never did need all that extra junk).

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
SD card: 4.89GB free (of 8GB)

Internal memory: 40.05MB

As someone who's a relatively new EVO and Android user--got my EVO in October 2010--I have since then installed and uninstalled many apps. I rooted my phone in December. During this time, I have never wiped my Dalvik cache but did so today. I would have thought that I would have recovered some internal memory, but it doesn't seem like I have. In fact, it appears I've pretty much recovered NO additional memory.

I would suggest using Quick App Clean Cache to clear the cache in all your Apps. Otherwise, I would recommend a hard reset. You may have a lot of left over files from installing/uninstalling a lot of apps.

I have 53 apps in internal memory, and another 20 or so apps on the card. My Evo has 265 megs of internal memory available. Not rooted and stock froyo rom...

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest using Quick App Clean Cache to clear the cache in all your Apps.You may have a lot of left over files from installing/uninstalling a lot of apps.

That's got to be the case, because even after using a couple cache cleaning apps, I'm still around 45MB free. I've been able to recover only about an extra MB or two.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest using Quick App Clean Cache to clear the cache in all your Apps. Otherwise, I would recommend a hard reset. You may have a lot of left over files from installing/uninstalling a lot of apps.

I have 53 apps in internal memory, and another 20 or so apps on the card. My Evo has 265 megs of internal memory available. Not rooted and stock froyo rom...

One thing I've noticed is that when I download and install an app, my internal memory decreases, even though my apps are supposed to download to my SD card and not the internal memory. When I use a2sd to check and move an app to the card from the phone, the "Move to SD" button is grayed out. At first I thought that meant the app was already on the SD card, but now I'm not so sure.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Hmmm...I double-checked something on a2sd pro and noticed that I've got 31 apps on my SD card that can be moved to internal storage (I won't do that, obviously) and 46 apps that are listed as "cannot be moved to the external storage." Now I wonder why these 46 apps are listed as unmovable.

Some of them include Slingbox (SlingPlayer), DirecTV, AIM, Chase Bank, ScoreMobile, K-9 mail, Go SMS, and several more.

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
One thing I've noticed is that when I download and install an app, my internal memory decreases, even though my apps are supposed to download to my SD card and not the internal memory. When I use a2sd to check and move an app to the card from the phone, the "Move to SD" button is grayed out. At first I thought that meant the app was already on the SD card, but now I'm not so sure.

Use Astro and go the asec folder. This is were your apps go to when moved to the card. Not all of the app is moved to the catd. The system needs part of the app in internal memory.

I still recommend a hard reset. It appears to me that you have a borked Evo.. Backup your data first, like call logs and notes. Your Contacts and Calendar should already be backed up to the cloud. Then do a fresh install of your apps. If you do a reinstall of your apps from a source like MyBackup Pro, AppMonster or Astro, the Market won't see your free apps for update purposes. The Market will have your paid apps listed after you log back into your Google account.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Use Astro and go the asec folder. This is were your apps go to when moved to the card. Not all of the app is moved to the catd. The system needs part of the app in internal memory.

I still recommend a hard reset. It appears to me that you have a borked Evo.. Backup your data first, like call logs and notes. Your Contacts and Calendar should already be backed up to the cloud. Then do a fresh install of your apps. If you do a reinstall of your apps from a source like MyBackup Pro, AppMonster or Astro, the Market won't see your free apps for update purposes. The Market will have your paid apps listed after you log back into your Google account.

I found out that doing a Factory reset doesn't affect one's root status, so I won't end up unrooting my EVO. I used ClockworkMod ROM manager to do a complete backup of my phone--apps, settings, and all. This way I can restore that after doing the factory reset.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I found out that doing a Factory reset doesn't affect one's root status, so I won't end up unrooting my EVO. I used ClockworkMod ROM manager to do a complete backup of my phone--apps, settings, and all. This way I can restore that after doing the factory reset.

That will NOT work to restore you stuff, its a nandroid backup youre going to make. If you restore the backup, you will be in the same exact state you were in before the factory reset.

I suggest a full wipe and switch to a rom that allows more space due to sense being removed such as CM7, MIUI, or vaelpak.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
CM7 does have 4G enabled, and if you use HDMwIn with it you can mirror your devices display via hdmi. Head over to the CM7 thread in the hacks section.

Full wipe is going to be needed, so use titanium or appbrain to backup your apps.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Myn's WarmTwoPointTwo, which I like; but this is getting ridiculous. Today, for some inexplicable reason, my internal memory now shows a mere 11MB after hovering around 150MB since installing Warm!

ronni85

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Myn's WarmTwoPointTwo, which I like; but this is getting ridiculous. Today, for some inexplicable reason, my internal memory now shows a mere 11MB after hovering around 150MB since installing Warm!

Yea I'm having the same issue, I flashed warm z last week and my internal storage went mega low and then I tried to flash mik z b/c I wanted the front cam but it didn't work n then it said my memory was full so I took everything off n did a hard reset and now it says 300mb so I'm not very happy with warm z right about now

ronni85

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Yea I'm having the same issue, I flashed warm z last week and my internal storage went mega low and then I tried to flash mik z b/c I wanted the front cam but it didn't work n then it said my memory was full so I took everything off n did a hard reset and now it says 300mb so I'm not very happy with warm z right about now

Scratch this, just decided to flash warm z again but i still feel something hogged up my internal memory despite doing a hard reset...the phone's supposed to have 512mb starting out right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox