what is the fastest way to fully root?

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
i have a few questions.

1. whats the difference between "Fully" Root and regular Root.

2. Is there a fast way to root your phone, like lets say a 1 click way to do it?

3. What are the Pro's of rooting.

4. What are the cons.

5. Does it cost any money? if so how much.

5. Lets say if rooting my phone damages my phone somehow to no longer be Fixable, Will warranty work or like some company if they see you broke your phone by messing with it then warranty wont help.

Sorry for all the questions but i'm sure you guys understand that rooting a phone like a Evo that the person would wanna know everything possible about it.

thanks alot guys, anything else that should be noted please mention in the thread please.

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
i take it you have not read any of the stickied threads or maybe any of the other many threads people have asked the same questions?

anyhoo heres a nice thread about most of your questions: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/64497-links-faq-guides-read-me-if-you-want-root-rooted-have-questions.html

here is the best way to root and its free to answer your 2nd to last question: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/54844-guide-rooting-3-7-hboot2-02-w-screen-shots-1-27-2011-a.html

last question....its very hard to "damage" your phone because of rooting. and as far as warranty work you just flash it back to stock before taking it in. theres also a thread about that: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/19278-how-unroot-return-stock-ruu-method.html

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
i take it you have not read any of the stickied threads or maybe any of the other many threads people have asked the same questions?

anyhoo heres a nice thread about most of your questions: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/64497-links-faq-guides-read-me-if-you-want-root-rooted-have-questions.html

here is the best way to root and its free to answer your 2nd to last question: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/54844-guide-rooting-3-7-hboot2-02-w-screen-shots-1-27-2011-a.html

last question....its very hard to "damage" your phone because of rooting. and as far as warranty work you just flash it back to stock before taking it in. theres also a thread about that: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/19278-how-unroot-return-stock-ruu-method.html
Thanks alot, i don't come on this site as much as i should. Apologies.

i been watching Youtube video's to see other people opinions and there all saying it very easy.

But once they root it then end the video and i don't get to see what they have actually done lol

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks alot, i don't come on this site as much as i should. Apologies.

i been watching Youtube video's to see other people opinions and there all saying it very easy.

But once they root it then end the video and i don't get to see what they have actually done lol

my advice is just to read read read....as long as you have patience and you follow everything like stated...then yes it is easy and you 'shouldnt' :) have any issues! but of course if you do run anything feel free to post it up theres always someone willing to help ya!

what are your goals with the phone since you are wanting to root? custom roms? tethering/hotspot? im sure better battery is a given :p the link i gave to rooting is an excellent guide to rooting and even has screenshots so you can match what your doing with the correct way. just read thru it a few times before attempting so you can get a grasp on it. and if you follow that guide at the end you will have the sprint lovers rom on it which is a pretty good stock feel rom....if thats not for you there are plenty of roms out there that may go with what your looking for as far as theming/speed etc. i personally used myns warm 2.2 rls 4 and 5 for the longest time and now im using myns warm z which is a ported rom from the desire z but has sense 2.0....no 4g so if you rely on 4g at all it wont be for you.

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
my advice is just to read read read....as long as you have patience and you follow everything like stated...then yes it is easy and you 'shouldnt' :) have any issues! but of course if you do run anything feel free to post it up theres always someone willing to help ya!

what are your goals with the phone since you are wanting to root? custom roms? tethering/hotspot? im sure better battery is a given :p the link i gave to rooting is an excellent guide to rooting and even has screenshots so you can match what your doing with the correct way. just read thru it a few times before attempting so you can get a grasp on it. and if you follow that guide at the end you will have the sprint lovers rom on it which is a pretty good stock feel rom....if thats not for you there are plenty of roms out there that may go with what your looking for as far as theming/speed etc. i personally used myns warm 2.2 rls 4 and 5 for the longest time and now im using myns warm z which is a ported rom from the desire z but has sense 2.0....no 4g so if you rely on 4g at all it wont be for you.

I'v known about rooting for a long time but people use alot of words that i cannot get my head around. and if you get to know me, i have to know everything about anything if i'm intrigued by it.

Mainly is of course the battery (walking around with a spare battery is just embarrassing )

Want to change my UI at will. (these adw and LP are just useless and can't stand them. you can't use the HTC Widgets and just slow and choppy )

Knowledge is Power! . I love my phone its with me at all times of the day and never leaves my side and i wanna know everything there is to know about it. and that includes rooting and tethering.

and tethering is of course another plus. I travel to chicago atleast once a month and would love to use my laptop on the go. ( not sure if that's what tethering is exactly, but thats why im reading)

:p

taadow1030

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the advice from the other posters. Better to read and watch YouTube until you grow sick than to rush and have an oh snap! moment when something goes unexpectedly. (It always happens sooner or later ). I rooted about a month or so ago and I haven't looked back since. Oh be prepared to get MUCH less sleep after yummy root. I literally have experienced a marked decline in sleep, but flashing is so much fun!

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the advice from the other posters. Better to read and watch YouTube until you grow sick than to rush and have an oh snap! moment when something goes unexpectedly. (It always happens sooner or later ). I rooted about a month or so ago and I haven't looked back since. Oh be prepared to get MUCH less sleep after yummy root. I literally have experienced a marked decline in sleep, but flashing is so much fun!

Can you explain more on this. Why you losing sleep because the root

taadow1030

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
What they're trying to say is so much more to do with a rooted phone.

Exactly! Forgive my use of the word Yummy... still not used to typing on the on-screen keyboard with auto-correct! LOL I have so much fun reading up on the benefits & features of the lastest ROMS and Kernels that I actually get less sleep now than before I rooted. The awesome developers over at XDA are always coming out with cutting edge features and themes that take our already solid phones to entirely new levels!

westhillsat

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I fully agree. It just opens up so much more to do with your phone :)

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
im rooting as we speak from the stickied thread on the forum and im beginning to think that is not the right way to do it.

disappointed and hopefully my phone doesn't break or something.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
What's wrong with UnrEVOked?
Nothing, I have a poll around here somewhere and it's overwhelmingly positive. I've used it myself.

im rooting as we speak from the stickied thread on the forum and im beginning to think that is not the right way to do it.

disappointed and hopefully my phone doesn't break or something.
It is one of two right ways to do it. I don't know why you're disappointed but if it's not quite what you're up to why don't you check out unrevoked. unrevoked

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Nothing, I have a poll around here somewhere and it's overwhelmingly positive. I've used it myself.

It is one of two right ways to do it. I don't know why you're disappointed but if it's not quite what you're up to why don't you check out unrevoked. unrevoked

no im fine its just the command prompts that really frustrate me. its out of my control with prompts because i have never done them before. but im sticking with this way since im on step 13 and YOU have been amazing on helping me out. if i was a mod or admin and someone asked me this many questions i would of banned him and pretended like it never happened lol

you for sure deserve a paypal donation for all this your doing. Appreciate it really

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with UnrEVOked?

Well people say that you dont learn a thing using unrevoked and in a sense you dont but at the same time people wanna root the quickest way possible without going threw 100+ commands doing so. To each of its own i guess... As for me im not going to judge how you root your own phone as long as you get the job done.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Well people say that you dont learn a thing using unrevoked and in a sense you dont but at the same time people wanna root the quickest way possible without going threw 100+ commands doing so. To each of its own i guess... As for me im not going to judge how you root your own phone as long as you get the job done.

True. I was tempted to root using Unrevoked3 but decided to just read more about what is involved behind the whole process and opted to root using "the long way." Turned out that it wasn't that hard after all and it taught me a lot. I feel a little more confident now that I will be able to follow instructions to get myself out of a mess using the command line should the need arise. Hopefully it won't ;)

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
True. I was tempted to root using Unrevoked3 but decided to just read more about what is involved behind the whole process and opted to root using "the long way." Turned out that it wasn't that hard after all and it taught me a lot. I feel a little more confident now that I will be able to follow instructions to get myself out of a mess using the command line should the need arise. Hopefully it won't ;)

Good stuff bro..Btw how you like the evo rooted so far?

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
So other than learning more (which I'm not knocking at all) is there any benefit to rooting "the hard way" as opposed to using Unrevoked? I thought I remember hearing that Unrevoked doesn't "fully" root your Evo, though I don't know if that was true or if that was just speculation. (or maybe that used to be the case months ago but isn't any longer)

So if person A roots their EVO the hard way, and person B roots their EVO using Unrevoked, once finished are they both the same? Or does person A have some additional capabilities or advantages by having done it the hard way?

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Using the instructions to root "the hard way" takes you through rooting, installing a custom recovery, and installing Sprint Lovers ROM. So you will be all set when you are done. If I'm not mistaken, using Unrevoked3 will get you rooted with a custom recovery, then you flash a custom ROM separately. There's really nothing wrong with that. It is just a matter of preference. Personally I am glad I did it the hard way because I am more familiar with the tools you might need to use to troubleshoot and file locations. Hope that sheds a little light :)