Red Triangle w/ Exclamation Point

dtopnka

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone then later decided to removed the root, per instruction of Fred's post. Now when i try to get into recovery mode to clear cache and what not the phone goes to a screen with a red triangle and exclamation point. Any ideas how to fix?

XCypserX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
That means you don't have a custom recovery (someone correct me if i'm wrong) I guess you'd want to install one, i don't know what instructions you followed from the guide and what you're trying to accomplish. I'll try to find a link for you.

EDIT: Here is Amon RA Recovery. Use the bootloader installation method listed in the OP.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=705026&highlight=flashable+clockwork+mod

I can't seem to find a clockworkmod recovery img for the evo... Hopefully someone else knows where one is.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtopnka

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
i think its because you are not rooted anymore. in order to boot into recovery, you need to have root access so since you removed root, you cannot access your recovery. hence the red triangle w/ the ! .

if i'm wrong please correct me forum!!

dtopnka

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
found this in the threads... think it will work

It sounds like you don't have a custom recovery installed (such as Clockwork or Amon_RA)

If you boot into the bootloader (by holding volume down + power) does it say S-ON or S-OFF at the top? If you're S-OFF, you can flash a custom recovery by downloading a PC36IMG.zip file of it and placing it on the root of your SD card. If you're S-ON, you'll have to either use an RUU utility or an RUU zip file to flash back to stock

f you're S-ON - reference Supersonic Shipped ROMs - xda-developers
Download the PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2 .15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.zip
Rename this zip file to PC36IMG.zip and place it on the root of your SD card.
Boot into the bootloader (power + volume down)
It should automatically see this file and ask if you would like to update.
This should return you to stock. Warning: You will not have root.

dtopnka

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
i think its because you are not rooted anymore. in order to boot into recovery, you need to have root access so since you removed root, you cannot access your recovery. hence the red triangle w/ the ! .

if i'm wrong please correct me forum!!

Makes sense to me. Is he correct? Anyone?

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am still learning myself but since you are temporarily rooted at that point when you are in the process of rooting your phone then I would think you would have to be at least temporarily rooted to get to custom recovery even if the file is still there. So, fwiw, that does sound logical to me. :)

XCypserX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
In the bootloader does it say S-OFF or S-ON? Which ever it says, you should've done one of the methods you mentioned you found above. If it's S-OFF follow the method for S-OFF. If S-ON, follow the S-ON method. Did you flash either of those files in the bootloader?

If you boot into the bootloader (by holding volume down + power) does it say S-ON or S-OFF at the top? If you're S-OFF, you can flash a custom recovery by downloading a PC36IMG.zip file of it and placing it on the root of your SD card. If you're S-ON, you'll have to either use an RUU utility or an RUU zip file to flash back to stock

f you're S-ON - reference Supersonic Shipped ROMs - xda-developers
Download the PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2 .15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.zip
Rename this zip file to PC36IMG.zip and place it on the root of your SD card.
Boot into the bootloader (power + volume down)
It should automatically see this file and ask if you would like to update.
This should return you to stock. Warning: You will not have root.

What exactly did you do?