I Have a lot of questions, maybe you can help!!

asvgothen

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I rooted my evo using Unrevoked 3.3 for the most part to obtain freetether, well I recently just flashed rom CN, I dont see my apps or downloads ( i did not think would lose everything by flashing the rom) .. I did the nandroid backup and everything wipe and all. but never heard or read anything about losing my apps or the markert I'm trying to get them back but dont know how.. ? i only tried to get new skins .. well any help would be much appreciated
uptade .. i just ran the backup.. everything went back to the way it was before i flashed the custom rom. but lose all my info ..i know it must be somewhere in my sdcard but cant figure to get them back.. any tips:-[:-[

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
ok.. that is correct...

nandroid .. is when you do backup or restore..

wipe.. is when you clean those area.. when you did a wipe on "data and cache"; that wiped clean your phone except the sdcard! your internal memory should be empyt! Nothing.. no android or anything is there.

when you flash a new ROM... you have to wipe everything so that the old data does not fuuck with your new OS!!! many many phantom issues are from not wiping or bad wipes.

there are apps in the market that do apps/data/setting backup... try Titanium backup.
so when you wipe and flash a new ROM.. you can put just the apps/data/settings backup back on the phone.

nandroid backup.. is of the whole phones internal memory. so when you restore it.. it puts it back exactly the way the phone looked and worked before you fuucked with it. this is great for big mistakes and issues.

Reactions: jaileer

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
When you say you flashed the "CN" ROM, do you mean one of the CyanogenMod versions?

If so, the CyanogenMod ROMs are AOSP and DO NOT come with any of the Google Apps pre-installed. You need to flash that separately if you want it, but the folks at CyanogenMod don't include them to keep far away from legal hot water. Once you flash the Google apps to CyanogenMod, you would have the Market and could download apps you paid for because they are tied to your Google account, not a given ROM.

When you say you ran the nandroid backup and lost info. Specifically, what information did you loose?

Lastly, were these backups and ROM flashing done with Rom Manager or with a custom recovery like Amon_RA or Clockwork Recovery?

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
To 'riff on the OP's question, when you wipe your phone in preparation for installing a new rom, does that also delete the "recovery" utility? Or does that stay untouched?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
To 'riff on the OP's question, when you wipe your phone in preparation for installing a new rom, does that also delete the "recovery" utility? Or does that stay untouched?

In short, no. The HBoot and Recovery are untouched by the wiping. The wiping clears out all memories and caches that are used by ROMs. If you were to let the phone fully boot after a wipe, it would be like the first time you started the ROM and you would have to configure it.

asvgothen

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I used recovery to flash the Rom, I would like to know how to install the apps in a new fresh ROM when you did not backup your apps such as Market.

asvgothen

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
When I did the backup of the Rom manager I thought everything would be saved, so i ran the backup I had and everything was like the beginning except all the apps I downloaded were gone, can I get them back somehow without having them downloased again?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
At this point, it sounds like you will have to download the apps again.

I have never personally used Rom Manager as I do all of my backing up with Nandroids and just re-download apps, but it seems like Titanium Backup would do a better job of backing up your applications between ROMs (according to some threads on the Rooting side of this forum).

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Use a since based rom like Myns Warm 5.5 to get the market. Download Titanium backup and backup all your apps. When you flash a new rom just install from there.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
What ROM are you running?

You don't have to run a Sense ROM to get the market, but you do need to flash the Gapps zip file to install it to an AOSP ROM like CyanogenMod.

asvgothen

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

You don't have to run a Sense ROM to get the market, but you do need to flash the Gapps zip file to install it to an AOSP ROM like CyanogenMod.
Im running Cyanongenmod 7, but still having problems installing my apps. Can someone tell me a step-by-step how to install your apps to a custom rom! I tried Titanium. Backup. And did the whole Batch thing and I don't see the apps, also flash them through. Recovery but when doing this and rebooting, the phone stays on a loop on the blue skating Guy. Anyone?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
First, did you download the Gapps from the page below for CyanogenMod 7?
Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki

Second, did you verify the MD5 sum of the zip before flashing it in recovery?

Third, after flashing the zip, it will likely take a lot longer to go through the boot (the first time), so hanging on the CyanogenMod animation isn't too surprising.

Forth, once booted, go into your apps drawer and run the "Market" app. You will need to sign in with all of your Google credentials.

Fifth, search for the apps you want back and re-install them.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i make a list of all my apps.

i have yet to figure out how to make this titanium thing work. i've figured out how to do back up. i have yet figured out how to reinstall.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Im running Cyanongenmod 7, but still having problems installing my apps. Can someone tell me a step-by-step how to install your apps to a custom rom! I tried Titanium. Backup. And did the whole Batch thing and I don't see the apps, also flash them through. Recovery but when doing this and rebooting, the phone stays on a loop on the blue skating Guy. Anyone?

Did you install you Gmail account on the new rom?

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
i make a list of all my apps.

i have yet to figure out how to make this titanium thing work. i've figured out how to do back up. i have yet figured out how to reinstall.

Set up your Gmail. Go to the TB app. You will see a list of all the apps you backed up. Click an app then hit restore.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site

I've flash roms before that were missing the market app, rom manager and TB. I had to manually flash my backup just to get right. We'll save flashing the gaps for the advance class. For now lets just get the OP back on their feet.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I've flash roms before that were missing the market app, rom manager and TB. I had to manually flash my backup just to get right. We'll save flashing the gaps for the advance class. For now lets just get the OP back on their feet.

I was unaware of an easier method.

I don't use ROM manager or Titanium Backup, so flashing the Gapps is the only way I knew to do it.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I was unaware of an easier method.

I don't use ROM manager or Titanium Backup, so flashing the Gapps is the only way I knew to do it.

Rom Manager is great. Check it out in the market. TB backs up my apps. When flashing roms I lose my apps. Then use TB to restore them.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Rom Manager is great. Check it out in the market. TB backs up my apps. When flashing roms I lose my apps. Then use TB to restore them.

Based on what I have heard about some of the Clockwork recovery problems, I think I'm going to stick with Amon_RA recovery and not use Rom Manager. TB might be worth checking out, but I don't flash tons of ROMs anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke