Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Format SD card after root?

Is it ok to reformat the SD card after you root? Will it lose all of its data and cause the phone to not work properly? I see that there is clockwork mod and some other stuff on it that seems important and needed for root. So if I reformat card will it delete the stuff that is needed?

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by QuasarZ View Post
    Is it ok to reformat the SD card after you root? Will it lose all of its data and cause the phone to not work properly? I see that there is clockwork mod and some other stuff on it that seems important and needed for root. So if I reformat card will it delete the stuff that is needed?
    It WILL lose all the data. What you need to do is copy everything to your pc then reformat your card. Once it is done then copy everything back over. This way if something should happen to your card you will have a copy of it on your pc. Only down should would be if you have pics, videos, and etc. then you won't have them unless you saved to the pc, photobucket, or something similar.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

If I copy everything over, then reformat the card when in the phone, will the phone still work until I get the stuff transferred back over?

ROM
    Stock for now

yes it will
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

You dont need anything on your SD card to stay rooted once your rooted and running a custom rom. Go ahead and try it right now, take out your sd card and boot up.

Rom manager and clockwork mod make files on your sd card for nandroid backups, and for the wireless rom downloading from rom manager.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
    Thanked by 2:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Gotcha, thanks.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Re: Format SD card after root?

I also was wondering this same thing. I had programs installed to my card with my stock rom, then it crashed. I know they are on the card somewhere, but am sure that they are taking valuable space that I am starting to need since I only have 500mb of space left on my card. It also forces me to clean out my photos and videos off my phone too.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Just remember SD cards can only be formatted so many times and they will flat out, wear out. No links, but feel free to Google it...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

So, I accidentally partitioned my SD card, and now my phone is stuck on the white HTC screen
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk24 View Post
    So, I accidentally partitioned my SD card, and now my phone is stuck on the white HTC screen
    Take your SD card out and see if it boots through then. Ten bucks says something else happened (also) and you're going to need to boot into recovery and flash a new ROM or restore your backup. No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by HalizDad View Post
    Take your SD card out and see if it boots through then. Ten bucks says something else happened (also) and you're going to need to boot into recovery and flash a new ROM or restore your backup. No biggie.
    I was able to load my phone up by just booting into recovery, no pulling of the card required. Just having to re-install my appps
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk24 View Post
    I was able to load my phone up by just booting into recovery, no pulling of the card required. Just having to re-install my appps
    Exactly. I was just showing him it wasn't from the partition.
    Last edited by HalizDad; 09-04-2011 at 03:25 PM.